Originally Posted by Kistler
The bathroom in our tt has two fluorescent lights--each with two tubes. The left one, when you face the mirror has gotten dim. What do I need to buy? tubes? starter? (I don't know what a starter is except in a track meet)
Kistler, the starter is a capacitor which delivers a very high voltage to start the light. Once the light is on, the starter could be removed, and the light would stay on. (Just like a car starter). Thus your problem is likely to be low voltage, and is nothing to do with the starter. I have this problem in my sailing yacht each spring, after the yacht has been stored for the winter. I need to leave the lights on for a while before they gain full power on the first time I use them. There may be some damp over the winter. If leaving them on for half an hour doesn't fix them, I would check the trailer battery voltage at the battery, with all circuits off, with a (digital) voltmeter. 12.6 volts would be OK for a charged battery. If the battery is low, you need to fix that. If the battery is ok, you need to measure the voltage at the lights (tubes removed). Look for at least 12 volts. With that circuits breaker off, try rubbing the contacts, and those on the tube, with some steel wool. You could also smear the contacts with a little dielectric grease (From Radioshack, amongst others) Replace the tube, turn on the breaker and the light, and see if there is an improvement. Good luck! Nick.