Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Des Moines , Iowa
Custom shower

Hi. This is my first post on the forum.

I bought a 1972 Overlander. My wife doesn't know about it yet.

I've gutted it. I want to get the electrical, mechanical, plumbing and window repair done before showing it to her and our kids.

My question right now is this; has any one made a custom shower stall out of fiberglass? What weight cloth or mat should be used? How many layers are required?

Thanks,

John
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Hi. This is my first post on the forum.

I bought a 1972 Overlander. My wife doesn't know about it yet.

I've gutted it. I want to get the electrical, mechanical, plumbing and window repair done before showing it to her and our kids.

My question right now is this; has any one made a custom shower stall out of fiberglass? What weight cloth or mat should be used? How many layers are required?

Thanks,

John
Welcome to the AirForums! You bought a trailer, gutted it, and already plan to remodel/refurbish/restore, and haven't even told the missus what you've done? You either have the most forgiving wife in the world, or you're getting ready to join the "Solo Streamers" when you finally get around to telling her about it!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Des Moines , Iowa
I broke down and showed it to her on Saturday.

I spent the next few hours looking at color pallets and talking design. She was pretty excited.

Now I just have to figure out how to make it work.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
That is so cool.... it's a fun thing to share with your partner and you're lucky she's into it. I worked solo on ours for 8 years until we actually camped in it and my other half got into it.

It's a process...
Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Not to throw a wrench into the process, but have you checked out the frame, axles, and sub floor yet. The 60s and 70s trailers are know for problems with the rear end. Rear end separation and/ rot is common. Is it a rear bath trailer?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Congrats!

Yes, a shower pan can be made.

Do you plan to make it in place? That is what I would do.

Have you built a masonry shower stall?

The very short steps are:
1- Prepare plumbing and "stub out" drain and supply
2- lay a underlayment of PVC sheeting, cut carefully, ensure you have glued well and that it conforms to floor. Stubbed plumbing can now join floor drain. More of the drain extends above this level for your additional layers.
3- pour level of glass and weave 4oz if not much molding needed. 6oz if flatter. Use shredded if really compound curves.
4- all coats can be tinted and last layers (gel coat) actual color you want.

Here is one source with options:
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/product...ass-cloth.html

I am sure you can find others. I would make a test one close to shape outside the trailer. That way you might make a perfect drop-in! Hey, don't laugh, it can happen!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Des Moines , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Not to throw a wrench into the process, but have you checked out the frame, axles, and sub floor yet. The 60s and 70s trailers are know for problems with the rear end. Rear end separation and/ rot is common. Is it a rear bath trailer?
The guy who sold it to be said it doesn't leak. So I figured that I'd just replace the flooring and polish it.

Ok, not so much. It is a rear bath model. There is done rot, but not extensive. I need to drop the belly pan to check the condition of the frame. I will also add a gray water tank.

I'm taking the inner walls off to rehab the electrical. I saw a few things that concerned me, and I don't want my family sleeping in a camper with bad or dangerous wiring.

The axel is probably original. Another replacement. Side windows are ok. But the front window looks like it gas mold between the glass panes.

It's going to be a total rehab. The only question right now is frame on it off. I think it can be done frame in, but dropping the belly will answer a few more questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-225284221.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	559.7 KB
ID:	199405   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-70786715.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	199406  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3279338934.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	199415   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1662240284.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	199416  

Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I bet, if you focus on the rot areas you will expose enough frame to decide if a full refurb I'd needed immediately.

After all only a few handfuls of rivets to get you "camping"..... Then if camping proves sustainable, plan a shell off!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
[QUOTE=Red John;1

I'm taking the inner walls off to rehab the electrical. I saw a few things that concerned me, and I don't want my family sleeping in a camper with bad or dangerous wiring.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I would ever take off the interior panels to redo the electrical. The wiring is grounded. Just replace the receptacles.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Des Moines , Iowa
I want to replace the actual wires. Is there a better way than removing the skin?

I found some damage on the wires, which is what prompted me to want to redo the system.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Sadly no, the best way to remove the wires and replace them would be to pull back the panels. You could run new wires on the outside of the inner skin, I know the big box stores have channels that attach to walls to put wires in.

The 12 vlt is pretty harmless, just a pain in the butt if you have a short some where. The 110 vlt is a different story..