Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
1337stream

2007 27' International CCD FB
Manhattan , Kansas
Custom mattress corner radius?

We're on the verge of ordering a custom mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress, but they need a "corner radius" measurement for the corner that fits into the Airstream's inner corner. Ours is a 2007 International, and I'm sure they've handled orders from other Airstream owners, but they insist on us providing our own measurement.

Unfortunately, we don't have the trailer right now (it's in Denver at Timeless Travel Trailers) so we aren't able to trace or measure anything in person. We have the width & length measurements, but not a way to describe this corner. I'm attaching an illustration I've adapted from the Airstream website. This includes our NEW l/w measurements, but no information about the curved corner (except for the points where the straight edges start to curve). If anyone can help describe this corner with measurements, or have something you've used to order a custom mattress before, that'd be lovely!

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	mattress-dimensions.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	124528
Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Interesting problem.
I'll be back.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Big problem with the drawing is that it is not to scale.
It worked out this way when I printed it and measured by hand, but to verify I took the pic, and put a scale on it in a drawing program.

Measuring straight down from the 45.5 creates a right angle on the 79.5 line.
The two measurements in pica should not be the same length, but in the picture they are.
The horizontal line should be 34" and the vertical should be 39.5" (about a 15% difference).

16 equal distant lines across the bottom and measure up from each one the distance to the curved line will give you some approximation of measurements but I don't think they would be right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aircurve.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	124533  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Columbia , Missouri
We are in the process of working on our AS and have a twin radius mattress we are not going to use if your interested in a mattress from 1973 I would be willing to check the radius in the next couple days and get back to you
Jakewith72as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'd call Airstream or Timeless for the measurements that way it will be exact.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Ask Don at Airstream SketchUp Design (don't remember what his complete username is here). He's got SketchUp drawings of many models of Airstreams and he ought to be able to measure the radius from his model drawings and give you a good answer.

You can also get an airbed (I highly recommend - my back pain of 20+ years went away after 3 nights on mine) and remove the the perimeter support foam in the rounded corner area so that the airbed will conform to the curve (adequately but not perfect) on it's own.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote