Old 04-23-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Custom Italian-designed Airstream...

Now THIS is really cool - very much along the lines of what Melissa and I are planning for the Globe Trotter.

Following the path of Ralph Lauren and Christopher Deam, this Italian designer Ceccotti Collezioni has also taken a stab at rethinking the interior of our historic trailers. As to why? I think confident designers love the challenge of squeezing beautiful, multi-functional spaces inside the tight confines of a travel trailer. I'm sure they also enjoy the impact it has on people who think they know exactly what to expect when they open the door... only to find something extremely different.

check out the description from the official site here:
http://www.ceccotti.it/english/lenews/airstream.htm

See extra pictures, including a sultry shot looking down the entire length at this site:
http://mocoloco.com/archives/000129.php#more

I'd love to know what everyone thinks.
In my opinion it's refined, like a 1960's million dollar New York apartment. While Deam's is stark and futuristic, and Lauren's are quite nostalgic, this to me has an overly textural, warm quality that I just love - streamlined to the point that it can't get too "busy" to look at - but hasn't left anything out either. It's a sophisticated look that appears very livable on a day-to-day basis, and I think it harmonizes very well with the exterior.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
It's Brilliant

It has that "Catch Me if You Can", Jet Set look that must have been difficult to pull off that well in the rounded countours of an Airstream trailer. I say go for it.

We've been working toward a "refined version" of the CCD style interior for our MH but these pics have given me some food for thought.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois

Just did a little more Googling about this and found out it is (or was) for sale for $175K through LIMN, a San Francisco furniture store. They had it displayed on the roof!
Old 06-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Absolutely exquisite!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS at it's best. Goes to show there are endless possibilites with redesigning the interior. Love the cherry wood and the sleek trim line furniture.

Thanks for the pics,
Gail
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Thumbs up Love it

Nice clean lines...which follows the look of the exterior of our Airstreams-

However I am torn... I sort of like this concept too;

www.powellbonnell.on.ca/new.html

Barb
Old 06-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Looks great. However how does one get that wall and ceiling effect. I am not seeing any interior rivets. Is that wood, aluminum sheet with wood veneer, very fancy paint job?. I guess I'll have to read the whole thing. Like it Yes... but I suspect there are techniques at work here that are beyond even the usual cabiner maker. I wonder how it will hold up to bumps , if indeed it is intend to travel at all .
Fornica has some great sheets and real wood veneers that might be able to give a similar effect. How does one determine if an interior panel material will work stucturally.

Ok I read it. It's a false ceiling, that is doable.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Barb, I think you could make a nice combination of the two - they're not that far off of each other. You could probably cull the best details of each and come up with something that would stun us all... are you up for it?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
Craftsman

I 'd like to know how those small blue tiles stay on the bathroom wall when you tow it. Seems to me the body of an Airstream has some flex in it. I would think that at least the grout lines would fail over time. Maybe it's just a show piece and isn't meant to be towed. They are are both nice designs and well excecuted. Much warmer than the CCD. I think that the CCD is going to look dated pretty quickly...but if you wait long enough it'll become another classic. No slam intended.
Jack
Old 06-18-2004, 10:48 AM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Pretty sure that work was done (in part) by Can Am RV. I had a conversation with them about this trailer. I think the bigger issue with the glass tile was the weight it added to the rig (especially aft of the wheels). I also think there was another thread on this somewhere on the forum.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Jack - I saw that Airstream on an episode of "This Small Space" oh HGTV, and you're right, it's first and foremost a concept, trying out high-end materials in a new way. They even skimped on the kitchen, the designer saying, "There's not going to be a whole lot of cooking going on here." I got the feeling it's purely for concept, though it would be great as a mobile office! That banquet in the front is all rolled and tucked creamy yellow leather, and doesn't become a bed, or anything. It's purely for design. There are 2 twin beds further back though.

Secondly, my wife's an interior designer, and brings home samples of those little Ann Sacks glass tiles all the time. They're permanently attached to a woven cloth, like linen - which keeps them perfectly aligned and connected. I would imagine you're right about the flex though - rather than worrying about the tiles themselves, I would concentrate on making sure the grout was a flexable type of waterproof silicone, rather than true, concrete grout.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Wink Up for it? Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Barb, I think you could make a nice combination of the two - they're not that far off of each other. You could probably cull the best details of each and come up with something that would stun us all... are you up for it?
My only problem is that I don't know if my bank account is up for it!

Sometime in the near future we are getting a '62 Safari which we have only seen from the outside. It is now being used to store construction materials so I suspect the interior is trashed. The hubby, bless his heart, says that I can do whatever I want with the interior. When we found out about this AS #2, I started searching around to get some idea what they looked like inside. Check out "mikejbuckley" Safari,outstanding!

Barb
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2004, 09:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The real challenge to any interior would seem to be the interior skin. It is structural at least in an AS that moves. Cabinet's , ect are hang on's. How they are attached to the shell being the issues. An AS would seem to be prefectly happy with a good exterior and interior shell. After that you are free to play.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:02 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

designer airstream

It was my company that designed and built the airstream seen on "small spaces" and numerous other shows and publications. I am currently doing another one (a '75 Sovereign) . I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the details and finishes on the one discussed in this forum.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

if you are talking about the powell & bonnell airstream...the walls and ceilings were upholstered with cream coloured lycra fabric with a 1/4 of foam underneath.