Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Cracked bathroom mirror

The bathroom wall mirror in my Tradewind has a crack in the lower corner (see pic). I expect that it will be hard to find a replacement mirror in the same size. Does anyone know of a patch or repair method?

Rog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	2130  
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Try going to a "Glass and Mirror" shop they can cut you any size mirror you need
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Thanks Jim

I was hoping someone might have invented a mirror repair kit, but that's probably just wishful thinking because I also have an irreplaceble custom etched mirror with a similar crack on my living room wall .

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:16 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Piece of cake

Cutting mirror is very easy, especially square pieces.

Go to Wal-mart and buy a door mirror, they are very cheap. maybe 10 to 15 dollars.

remove new mirror from frame and place on firm surface. use straight edge and glass cutter, (that little red thing with the wheel on it and notches in the side).

Always score glass firmly but only once. Make certain that you score the whole line especially near the edges.

After you score straight line, use the round end of the glass cutter and tap the underside of the score line. you can tap firmly but dont break the glass. (believe it or not glass is pretty strong stuff).

When you have tapped the whole score line, place glass on table or raised surface. Allow the "drop piece", (scrap), to hang over edge of table. Hold the glass down firmly with one hand or assistant, then firmly "pop" or "bump" the drop piece downward. This is a very quick motion.

Some people place a rod or thin piece of wood under the score line to snap the glass. Glass cutting is easy but important that you are not timid or shy about popping the glass. The more firmly you "pop" the glass , the cleaner the break.

Go for it!,
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Rog I have the same problem with the mirror in my 1974 Tradewind. How did you remove the mirror from the door. I looked at it today and it appears to be glued to the door. I would like to remove mine and replace it without tearing up the door. Thanks Shelby
Shelby Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:28 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Removal

The mirror is retained by the lower aluinum strip.
If you remove the clips that are typically on the bottom of the mirror, the aluminum strip will practically fall off and the mirror is going to come with it. Gravity is an incredible power.
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
There is a superglue-like product that is designed for glass. The seam is almost invisible. Check out the large hardware stores, like Home Depot and Lowe's.
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

cracked bathroom mirror

Rog,

Since it looks like a small crack, why don't you find a small border of wallpaper you like and border the mirror? My daughter did it to a long mirror and it looks great!

Gloria
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx.
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
bathroom door mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
The mirror is retained by the lower aluinum strip.
If you remove the clips that are typically on the bottom of the mirror, the aluminum strip will practically fall off and the mirror is going to come with it. Gravity is an incredible power.
Smily
OK, I drug up this historical document instead of starting a new thread. How is the mirror attached to the door in the rear bath '70's models? My left hand strip has popped the upper rivits and is swinging out. The service manual says the trim strips are glued to the door but it's obviously incorrect as both sides of mine are rivited (behind the mirror). I cannot tell about the lower strip.
Anyone had one of these apart?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
My manual says the sides and bottom are riveted and glued. The top trim is glued only. I know on ours the top is only glued as it came loose and we glued it back in. So take the door down and pry the top strip loose to slide the mirror out. Maybe try using a putty knife to loosen the top strip first just to be sure....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Vernon,

Remove the mirror from the hinges if you haven't done so already.

It is glued and riveted together. I've done it twice (72 Overlander, 73 Sovereign) but it was a while back and I'm just a bit foggy about it. (Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of that repair, at least I can't remember doing so.)

I do remember the rivets were a bit of a pain as the shanks didn't all come out of the trim as easily as I would've liked.

Again, if you remove the mirror from the hinges, you should be able to figure it out.

Both of my mirrors which were replaced had a shadow in them of the double-sided tape used to hold them in place while riveting the trim together. (I'm sure the factory never envisioned the mirrors would last that long.)

For less than $30, a glass shop can cut a new mirror for you.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
My manual says the sides and bottom are riveted and glued. The top trim is glued only. I know on ours the top is only glued as it came loose and we glued it back in. So take the door down and pry the top strip loose to slide the mirror out. Maybe try using a putty knife to loosen the top strip first just to be sure....
.....What Ganglin said - I took my "big" miror out a couple of weeks ago - I dreaded the thought of breaking up the mirror to get it out, but when I removed the top trim - low and behold the mirror was "floating" in the other three trim pieces.

You have to take the door off and work on it in a horizontal position, but the mirror will slide right out.

There was no double sided tape on the '78 mirror (mounted on the interior of the rearmost closet door) - only the rivets holding the aluminum frame to the door.

On the hinged mirror in the bath over the sink - there was no frame - only double sided tape holding the whole mirror up! The mirror over the sink was MUCH thicker than the mirror inside the closet door.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Thanks all-
I'll pull the door tonight and see where it leads me. It feels like the lower trim is firmly attached and the upper may have some rivits from my peaking behind the loose side. It sounds like mine may have been assembled upside down - glued on the bottom and rivited on the top
Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
.....You have to take the door off...
Ok I give up. The manual says there are holes above the track to pull the screws that hold the sliders to the top of the door. NOT!
I think it should say remove every rivit and screw in the entire camper until the only item remaining is the door.

How does the door come off?

BTW, it does look like the upper trim is glued.