Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
2012 30' International
Willis , Texas
Couches or Recliners

We are looking at a 30' International Serenity series Airstream online. My husband and I both have bad backs. We currently have an Airstream 27" fb and the only seating in the trailer is the dinette and it is killing our backs! Does anyone have the airstream recliners in their trailer? If so, are they comfortable? What about the couch? If we decide to go that route, is that comfortable?

I know we need to make the trip and try them out for ourselves, but I thought the seating at the dinette was ok too until I used it for a couple of trips and now it is killing us, so I was hoping someone here could give us some input!

Hopefully I have put this thread in the right place. I am not very familiar with this site.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #2

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Greetings PamCheshire,

There are a fair amount of posts about recliners but they seem to be scattered. Click on the "search" button and use the Google option and "recliner"...you will probably get more info than can be absorbed!

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Willis , Texas
Thanks HIHO! As you can tell, I am lost on this forum. I appreciate your suggestion.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I pulled out the dinette table as well as the couch sections after trying to sit comfortably for just one evening. Just because AS designers seem to have a goal of filling every available inch with uncomfortable seating doesn't mean you have to live with it.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
soldiermedic put a new Flexsteel Magic Bed sofa in one of his a few (has it really been four?) years ago. Absolutely beautiful and comfortable. Check it out here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...inc-40657.html

Here's what I have:

The recliner is a Lane, and the photo is four years old. The seat and top of the armrests is leather, but the bottoms and sides are vinyl. The vinyl is peeling off the front of the armrests and even the leather on one armrest is looking a little sad. The seat and the ottoman are fine, just the armrests. I like the chair and ottoman, but am very displeased with the the quality. I wouldn't buy another Lane product. There are several companies that offer similar recliner ottoman combos.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
We are also going to be purchasing a 30' Serenity. We loved the front bedroom of the 27' but, I agree with you, the table/lounge area seemed to small for us. From the units that I have been in, the lounge in the 30' is the exact same feel (just larger, L shape) as the 27'. We, personally want the lounge. We want more room to sit incase we have guests and we like the storage under the lounge. But, I have heard from some that they love their recliners. Good luck. It's an amazing unit. Can't wait till we purchase ours. BTW, I have just learned that as of this week, any AS ordered now is a 2013 model. So, you might get a good deal on a 2012 Serenity that a dealer might have in stock. Cheers!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
The couches are uncomfortable for any length of time. I replaced the couch with two recliners. One of my hobbies is woodworking, so I designed and built a custom cabinet across the front of the trailer.

You can see photos of the cabinets at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...-17610-17.html, post #228. Photos of my current recliners are at post #298 of the same thread. We love our current leather recliners.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Willis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
soldiermedic put a new Flexsteel Magic Bed sofa in one of his a few (has it really been four?) years ago. Absolutely beautiful and comfortable. Check it out here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...inc-40657.html

Here's what I have:

The recliner is a Lane, and the photo is four years old. The seat and top of the armrests is leather, but the bottoms and sides are vinyl. The vinyl is peeling off the front of the armrests and even the leather on one armrest is looking a little sad. The seat and the ottoman are fine, just the armrests. I like the chair and ottoman, but am very displeased with the the quality. I wouldn't buy another Lane product. There are several companies that offer similar recliner ottoman combos.
WOW...that is beautiful!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Our couch was extremely uncomfortable...our backs would ache after a short time of sitting. So we got the tape measure took some measurements and off we went to Lazy-boy. We sat in recliners and selected our fabric. We had leftover carpet to cover the floor where the couch had been and we placed a table between the recliners to hold coffee cups,remote and etc. We have been very pleased with our decision.

Predeta
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Willis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The couches are uncomfortable for any length of time. I replaced the couch with two recliners. One of my hobbies is woodworking, so I designed and built a custom cabinet across the front of the trailer.

You can see photos of the cabinets at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...-17610-17.html, post #228. Photos of my current recliners are at post #298 of the same thread. We love our current leather recliners.
Just looked at your woodworking project. It is wonderful. You are very talented!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Hi Pam : We wrestled with the "couch vs recliners" issue & went with recliners, which are 2 leather "Lay-Z-Boy's" & were bought at a local furniture store.

The first time we were away with the recliners, we both fell asleep & woke up at 3AM...so they're obviously very comfortable !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec in Bradenton 036.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	152863  
Join the Facebook A'34 group today !!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/206443579449380/
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
Hi Pam : We wrestled with the "couch vs recliners" issue & went with recliners, which are 2 leather "Lay-Z-Boy's" & were bought at a local furniture store.

The first time we were away with the recliners, we both fell asleep & woke up at 3AM...so they're obviously very comfortable !!

I was waiting for Paul O to chime in!!! Great recliners!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Not changing BUT

I have the 25 FB and, barring winning the lottery, I'm keeping it. I too have looked at the Serenity 30 with lust in my heart - and I've seen pictures of the recliners which are sleek and fit right into the design or either the CCD or the Serenity 30....

But I've only seen pictures. Are they as comfortable as they look? Will they wear well? Do they have an extended warantee? 5 years maybe? I am loathe to buy something from pictures alone. The couch that comes in the 30? CCD or Serenity? Same as the 28 and it doesn't impress though with the leather upgrade it's probably better than with just fabric.

Ask your dealer - or find a dealer who as one WITH the recliners in it. You do give up a lot of under couch storage as well as guest seating to have recliners - but I never have a crowd in my unit, and in the 30 you still have the dinette - and could carry a couple of folding chairs if you wanted.

It's not impossible to change out one for the other after the fact, but boy it would tick me off to have to. I am sure the lazyboy's are comfortable - but they are more in style with the classics than the Internationals.

Still if you have bad knees or legs that ache, go for the RECLINERS!

Paula
Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Recliner

Here's what we did to solve that uncomfortable dinette problem and it was in the same floorplan as yours, the FB. There are others that have done this too. Russ

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ble-86598.html

AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote