Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Couch/Bed

In my trailer I have the original fold down couch/bed in the front and while it is still nice looking, it is becoming uncomfortable to sleep on. I am thinking about just taking it out and replacing it with the new ultra leather type like the 30 footers have in them.
I can't do it myself (bad back),so I'm planning on taking it to Jackson Center and have them do the install and at the same time replace the cushions in the dinette to match.
Has anyone else that you know of had this done and what kind of costs do you think I will encounter? Think it will fit? My trailer is not a wide body.
I've looked at the new trailers and tried out the new couch and it is like heaven compared to mine. Hope this is an option I can have done.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Good luck on the couch/bed conversion. We went in a different direction. Best of success.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Check out Flexsteels web site, they have different dimesioned sofa/sleepers
Flexsteel - RV/Marine Furniture

Greg
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
soldiermedic had a very positive experience replacing his: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...inc-40657.html
Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
have you looked up the sight:New and Reconditioned RV Parts & Accessories - RV Surplus they seem to have some pretty good deals on sofas.....i know there are some other forum members that have used them.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for the links and comments. I'll need to get the couch that turns into a bed as there is no bed in this trailer. Now I at least have some other options iin style and price.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
We are looking at replacing our couch too, we are thinking of going through RV Furniture Seats Custom Motorhome Accessories Sofa Beds. Apparently, they manufacture their own couches/sofa sleepers and told me on the phone the other day that they can work with us on some modifications to the couch we are wanting.

In our 1991 25ft. Excella, we have the couch up front which folds out into a bed, when we removed it, we saw that the two battery boxes and battery charger (I think that is what you call the thing sitting between the battery boxes) do stick out into the trailer and we will have to make sure the new sofa will fit back over them as our old sofa did, the guy I talked with, Ivas, said to send pictures and measurements so they know exactly what we are dealing with. We plan on doing this just as soon as we get our trailer back from the dealership which is getting some other work done.

Once we are all finished, we will post pictures and let everyone know how it works out. I guess the only thing we won't know is how the couch/sofa feels, hopefully it is firm and comfortable...
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
That sounds great! Yes, please let us know how it all works out. What couch did you select? Looks like all top quality stuff.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Cumberland , Rhode Island
Smile sofa bed

I had an older Airstream (82 international 28ft) an redid the bed and sofa, through a friend who made a foam mattress and remade the sofa--- Not expensive, and no re modification-- worked well for me.

SILVIA
34 classic with SO:
Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #10

2005 25' Safari
Huntley , Illinois
Has anyone considered replacing sofa with 2 lounge chairs....our 25 Safari is small and sofa not comfortable to sit on ....glomoo
glomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Cheaper and simpler to have couch rebuilt locally

Bluto;

Even if you can't do work yourself to remove and replace, consider getting bids from one of local auto upholstery shops (or better someone who has small shop or works from home office...) The couch you have and side panel/armrests is fitted to your trailer, and new standard ones won't fit since they are for wider trailers..

Especially today with small shops struggling in current economy, couch is easy to disassemble into 5 primary parts (seat/back/lower valence for storage drawer and two armrest units) and can be rebuilt with new foam (use higher density "memory foam") and your choice of fabrics from leather to suade to anything in between.. Fabric might run several hundred dollars, and labor $500+, but you'd have comfy couch exactly as you want it for less than new model..

>> and for Glomoo, be aware that power supply, at least one battery and wiring and fuse panel are under the couch, and sitting on bare wood sub-floor, not florring or carpet.. If you try to put in chairs, you'll have to re-do flooring and build some kind of cabinet to cover electrical items sitting on floor in front of trailer...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Condoluminum,
You bring up several good points. I will have to check around, locally first at an upholster shop.
Glomoo, My sister has the same trailer as you and did the recliners in place of the couch. I'll have to check and see what they did with the stuff under the couch. I'll let you know, when I find out.