Old 07-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
Hi Terry,

I have to ask are you a Linux type of guy?
I play Linux when I get tired of bowing to the Emperor of Redmond.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #16
Navigating Real Estate

Howell , Michigan
Kool Linux and Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I play Linux when I get tired of bowing to the Emperor of Redmond.
Kool a person after my own heart. Off with the Emperor's head I say off with it.

Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #17
Tir

Thumbs up Request for assistance

My husband and I own a '73 Land Yacht Travel Trailer. I would like to post an information request but can't figure out how and FAQ's don't tell me. We are looking for a repair service in Wayne County, PA (home of our Airstream.) Can you help?

TYIA,
Tir (Carlee Weston)

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Regardless of year there are a few things all Airstreams have in common.

One of the base figures I came up with for my 1967 28 foot Ambassador for the "utilities" i.e. water heater, water tank, black tank, water pump, furnace and A/C was some where around $3500.00, there is a lot to consider when pricing out a project like this. Do you want new or can you live with used items. Does it have to be OEM or can you live with a aftermarket item. Don't get dicouraged by the scale of the project, just keep your head, keep your eyes open and your ears open.

If you are thinking of joining the 1966-1968 Curved Corning Club , you will have a lot of help and support here. There are at least 4 of us stripping these coaches down to the skin if not further and rebuilding.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It must be another slow day here on the forums, you guys are replying to a three year old thread, and the original poster hasn't made any more posts since the one he made at that time. I guess we scared him off.
Actually, I think there is another reason old threads are getting "reactivated" -- I bet it is because of the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of the thread. I just discovered this particular thread while reading the "DIY network" thread because this thread's link was listed in the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of the "DIY network" thread.

Go and look at the bottom of this thread and note the "last post" dates on the threads listed. Some date back to 2002. There is a higher chance that an old thread will in fact get reactivated when people start to browse this list.

I actually think it is a good thing. We have new people who have joined the forum since 2003 so we have more of a chance of potentially new or additional information/thoughts being posted.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Temecula , California
First I would like to say hello. This is my first post, but have been a guest to this forum many times. I find the older post very helpful. Whether they are 5 years old or not, good information is helpful information. I hope I can contribute to this forum. I do not own an Airstream but I am currently looking. I'm really not sure what year, size or if I want a fixer or not. I'm sure you will help me figure out my wants and needs. Thank you, David
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
Traveling Photographer...

Currently Looking...
Acworth , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to EricFarewell Send a message via MSN to EricFarewell Send a message via Yahoo to EricFarewell
Great content in here, thanks for bumping it up to the top!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Barstow , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Y2k_Knight
You sound like a nice bunch of reasonable folks, so I'll stick my toes in the water...

I'm looking for a roomy airstream 22' - 30', ranging in price from $1500 - $10,000. I'm aware I may be in for a lot of work at $1500 but I'm planning to go to Mel Trailer and let them do it. I've already talked to them and they are willing to break it up into phases so it's not overwhelmingly expensive and one time.

I'm starting to settle on a 28', and I like the rounded windows, and the oblong window under the primary windows on the side... now I'm just looking for the right trailer that shows up when the funding is in place...

I'm in California, any places/people I should stay away from?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2k_Knight View Post
You sound like a nice bunch of reasonable folks, so I'll stick my toes in the water...

I'm looking for a roomy airstream 22' - 30', ranging in price from $1500 - $10,000. I'm aware I may be in for a lot of work at $1500 but I'm planning to go to Mel Trailer and let them do it. I've already talked to them and they are willing to break it up into phases so it's not overwhelmingly expensive and one time.

I'm starting to settle on a 28', and I like the rounded windows, and the oblong window under the primary windows on the side... now I'm just looking for the right trailer that shows up when the funding is in place...

Keep in mind, that a non-Airstream dealer cannot buy parts from the factory, unless they are at the factory. That would increase your cost to reach your goal.

Depending on what you wish to have done, make sure you chose a dealer that has done, many times over, what you want done. Repairs are one thing. Remanufacturing, is another as well as upgrading some components.

There are all to many horror storys and dissatisfied owners because they took the coach to a shop that had little to no Airstream experience, and therefore suffered the consequences.

You may have to choose a shop that could be several hundred miles from you, in order to have assurances that they know what they are doing, specifically with an Airstream product. Without that experience, could be very costly for you, as well as disappointing.

Who ever you may chose, make sure that they give you a written estimate, which details exactly what they will do, per item, and it's costs. Do they routinely do repairs, or remanufacturing? With a written detailed estimate, you can phase the work and expense to suit your timing and finances.

Doing at least a little research, and homework, should answer your questions.

Andy
Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Welcome! Airforums does have a great group of people.

Quote:
Wow! Thats a big price range. Looks like your located close to Mel Trailer and Inland RV. That will be very handy when you find the Airstream of your dreams.

Quote:
Good luck on finding your trailer you never now when it will happen. Take a look at vintageairstream.com. they have a great photo archive so maybe you can narrow down your search.

Quote:
Always a tough question. Your experience with "place/people' may be completely different then someone else's. Do your homework. Good luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Barstow , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Y2k_Knight
The shop I'm looking at to do the majority of the restoration/rebuild is www.meltrailer.com. The told me the average cost to restore a 30' is about $14,000. I'm hoping I can do a little to defer that a little.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
That price looks to be in the right ballpark. You can save yourself some money by doing it yourself (DIY). Labor is about 1/3 or 1/2 of the restoation cost. Airforums has endless posts on how to restore any Airstream and if you get stuck you have help real close. Now to find your Airstream.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
The shop I'm looking at to do the majority of the restoration/rebuild is www.meltrailer.com. The told me the average cost to restore a 30' is about $14,000. I'm hoping I can do a little to defer that a little.
I have had work done there, and they do great work.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #27
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If you can find one already done it should sell at a significant discount to that $14000 figure. And be ready right away.

The problem is to find one that suits you and is done right with no nasty surprises lying in wait.

Rednax has an excellent 34 foot Silver Streak for $10,000.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...ots-47662.html
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #28

Beaverton , Oregon
I think this question is timeless and worth keeping open. I'm out in Portland, OR and thinking of getting an Airstream. Trying to evaluate new versus used + restoration. Is there a good resource on where to start?