Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Cincinnnati , Ohio
Cost to ReDo Dinette Area in 2009 27ft.Classic

Hi Friends,
Has anyone taken out the Dinette in their 27ft. FB Twin Classic? We want to take out the long couch as well across from the sink and kitchen. Move a table there, and where the dinette once was, put in a couch or loungers like the new Classics. They have virtually knocked the value off of our Airstream with all the nice new things they have updated the Classics with. We cant afford to trade it because of the drop in value, so we are looking at making it more comfortable and livable. We are so bummed!!
Kathy
KathleenBenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As long as you are not getting into plumbing or electrical work you should be able to do it yourself.

If you remove the cabinets and couch you will be suprised how simple it would be.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm not sure how someone would get a typical home theater love seat or a couch into an Airstream door. Then you have to contend with the furnace box located under the side couch near the dinette. I guess the best thing to do is to find the couch that could fit in the dinette area. An RV restoration/renovation service could then build cabinetry around the couch and build the table. While you having this done get a new floor covering installed if yours is still original.

It would be an interesting project as I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not fond of the dinette side couch arrangement.

Kelvin
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This is what we more/less did with our 2012 Rear Bed 25, but the furnace in ours is located on the curb side of the Airstream. So the big problem on a Rear Bed model is moving the furnace toward the center of the trailer; it can be done, another member has done it.

We took out the side lounge and all the dinette seating and had Jackson Center put in recliners, center console, folding side table and custom build a cabinet over our converter/charger. We wanted to retain the factory look so we had them do it and put in their components, about $4,000. But we didn't need to move the furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5709.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	249767  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
While I did a different mod on my '12 28' Intl CCD .... removed the front L seat sofa, built in a cabinet and added recliners ... when I discussed trading it in to buy my new Classic, one of the very large A/S dealers give me what I thought was an insulting low-ball trade in on my trailer BECAUSE I'd modified it. The comment -- more or less -- was that they preferred not having to deal with trailers where the owner had "improved " them because of the sometimes questionable quality (and taste?) of what that owner had done. I sold my trailer myself. For $25,000 more than they'd offered me.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I talked to Colonial Airstream about the value of our Airstream after remodeling and they felt it would have no effect because the trailer is now four years old. Our local dealer said they would like to have it and it would sell easily because of the recliner and furnishing components that were from the Airstream factory, done by the factory service center, and gave it a stock appearance.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenBenk View Post
Hi Friends,
Has anyone taken out the Dinette in their 27ft. FB Twin Classic? We want to take out the long couch as well across from the sink and kitchen. Move a table there, and where the dinette once was, put in a couch or loungers like the new Classics. They have virtually knocked the value off of our Airstream with all the nice new things they have updated the Classics with. We cant afford to trade it because of the drop in value, so we are looking at making it more comfortable and livable. We are so bummed!!
Kathy
Kathy,

I'm not sure why you think the value of your trailer has dropped since the introduction of the new Classic. Obviously we all face reductions in value due to depreciation and condition of the trailers, but front bedroom models are very popular in the Airstream line-up plus you have a floor plan no longer offered in the Classic line. There are always new bells and whistles added in the new model year offerings and none of us have the latest and greatest unless we are prepared to buy new every year. By searching the classifieds on Airforums, I think you will find the prices on used Airstreams to be holding their own. I think you can at least partially attribute this to the price increases Airstream has been taking over the last few years on the new trailers.

If a dealer told you the value of your trailer has decreased, I would be highly skeptical. Maybe the dealer wants to take your trailer in trade, offering you a very low price, then take a considerable mark-up when reselling it.

If you are ready to buy a new Classic, I would suggest selling your current trailer yourself. You can price it fairly based on condition and I would bet you can sell it for considerably more than what a dealer would offer you in trade. Please remember even though the new Classic is beautiful and offers new features, it does not appeal to nor is affordable to everyone. Many folks would love to own a trailer like yours. We have a 2008 Safari 27FB and we love it.

If you decide to make modifications, Doug's suggestions are spot on. The furnace location in your trailer presents challenges for doing what you suggested. Many people have replaced the short bench with a recliner and have greatly increased the comfort and usability. There are many threads here that describe what other folks have done.

Good luck with whatever route you take.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Cincinnnati , Ohio
Thanks for your input. The dealer in Columbus, Ohio said we would be lucky to get $25,000 for our trailer, which just blew us away. Nothing firm, just a request over the phone. I looked at the new Classics on line and was blown away by the cost. We never did and even now want all the bells and whistles, just comfort when forced to be inside. I wondered myself why someone wouldn't want our trailer as it is really sharp!
KathleenBenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Look at the Airforum Classified section for a comparison. The dealer would put yours on the market for at least $45k. Remember their motto is to buy low sell high.

Kelvin
Old 10-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
I recently sold our '05 Bunkhouse 30', replacing it with a new 27' Flying Cloud Twin model. We decided that we wanted a different floor plan since the kids are not camping with us anymore. I was very happy with the resale value of my used and well cared for Airstream. Perhaps you should talk with a different dealer about the sale of your current unit.

Do not use NADA to evaluate the value of an Airsteam as it is very wrong and based on the same calculation as SOBs.

I did find that any non-Airstream dealer was not the place to talk about selling an Airstream.

I used consignment at a reputable Airstream dealer to sell mine and buy a new one and had a great experience.

I agree that the asking price for a '27 Classic would be $45k.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenBenk View Post
Thanks for your input. The dealer in Columbus, Ohio said we would be lucky to get $25,000 for our trailer, which just blew us away. Nothing firm, just a request over the phone. I looked at the new Classics on line and was blown away by the cost. We never did and even now want all the bells and whistles, just comfort when forced to be inside. I wondered myself why someone wouldn't want our trailer as it is really sharp!
Shame on the dealer...we have sold two Airstreams, both for more than we pd for them. They both had lots of wonderful improvements that were not done by JC. We had friends ask us for the 1st one, last one we sold in 3 days on Airforums classified. That buyer came all the way from California to the east coast to purchase our rig. Several friends have sold their rigs on the Airforums classified and have also sold quickly at a profit. If you make good improvements on your rig you will be fine. Not to worry about resale unless you try to sell it with a dealer. I would only sell through Airforums, not Craig's list.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Still if you love your Airstream put some money to change it. Look at some of the custom changes done at Seattle Airstream. The Grand Lounge might work for you.

Here is one example
Seattle Washington Airstream Adventures Northwest

Kelvin
Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Josi the Silver Bullet

1993 34' Excella
Festus , Missouri
Very Nice
blm1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
This is what I did on my 07 25' International CCD. The flip top table was from a recent Classic that someone advertised on the forum and the Flexsteel lounger was form a previous 5th wheel. I kept all the stuff that i replaced and it was available at the sale in case the new owner wanted to change back. I sold the AS for more than I paid to the first person who looked at it and there was a list of others who wanted it in case the first buyer decided no. Notice also the addition of the Classic curtains. Also purchased on the forum.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	my solution (1).JPG
Views:	181
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	250001  
Old 10-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Can't get my wife onboard to do the recliner in the corner on our Classic 25fb. Maybe if I could get that Classic folding table I could change her mind.

So that recliner could swing around and you could eat comfortably from the recliner or did you have to move over to the dinette seat to eat.

Kelvin
Old 10-08-2015, 03:48 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Kelvin,

We were able to use the recliner to sit at the table and when we had guests we merely extended both leaves on the flip top. I have the necessary hardware to fabricate another flip top minus the leg and one-of the extensions. PM me if you are interested

>>ron<<
Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Wife wants to keep the dinette as it is. Maybe we need to see this mod in person. She is kind of open to a cabinet next to the fridge. Trouble is the top of the cabinet couldn't be higher than the frame of the adjacent window so it would be lower than the adjacent kitchen counter. Still thinking.

Kelvin
Old 11-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I am interested in doing something similar in my 27FB. I'm in the middle of repairing the rotted floor in the rear. I recently took a camping trip with my Fiance and her two teens and since I had the rear table and couches pulled out we just put the cushions on the floor for the weekend.

We had a great time all lounging on the cushions. The couch running alongside the left side up to the TV really isn't useful for us and we really liked the idea of having a table where that side couch is. I won't be doing this now, but I may modify it in a year.

My idea would be a mix between the interior of a 28 and 27FB. My idea would be to put a couch in the rear where the table and seats are now, build a small box to run the heater ducting and power lines along the floor and wall, and put in a lower-able pedestal table with couch seats around similar to the table in the 22FB.

I don't know about the cost, but I think with help from friends I could build what I wanted or hire a carpenter to make something up.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #19

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1446477408.959174.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	251537
Something like this?

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Nice job there sheriff1, very impressive. How did you make the table?

For my situation I was thinking of a couch that would go across the entire width and have a dinette table that could turn into a bed.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote