Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
converting twin beds to queen

Hi, I have just brought a fantastic 1989 29ft Excella with the original twin beds and I wanted to convert into a queen. (54"x75"). I can do all the work myself, but have a question about the side access doors. I know the 29ft had an optional queen bed configuration that went width ways, but did this option have the exterior side access doors?, I'm guessing it only had one on one side as the bed could only cover one (for the exterior access storage under the bed). I can block the interior side of the access door up, but also wasn't sure if doing this work would devalue my airstream?.
I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that have had the same issue, and was hoping someone could help me out.

Thanks, Dan
Streamer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Dan.......My unit is exactly like yours, except a PO did an excellent job of converting it to a queen size bed.......Yes, one looses the outside storage on one side; but you do end up with a very LONG storage compartment from the side that remains........Good luck......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Hi Dennis, thanks for your reply, could you tell me the size of the bed you put in?, Also, I'm planning on using the original night stand on the wardrobe side of the bedroom, which should leave about 9" on the other side for a small shelf/nightstand. Do you have the radius corners on the bottom of your mattress?, I've found a custom mattress maker who can make one for about $500 which doesn't seem too bad to me???. I basically went for the 54"x75" because airstream make a sheet set that will fit. Thanks Dan
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
I really do NOT know what size of mattress it is.......Sheets made for queen size fit just fine and snug up a bit loosely though.......We have 10 inches or so on the bottom of the bed and pretty much the same on the outside.....END OF TRAILER.........Under the bed on each side is a full length cabinet just deep enough for shoes and stuff.....I keep my 12 ga on the back side of the bed in this cabinet...........No we do not have radius corners; but they would be nice when going "around" the bed to get in.......We have the fold down TV shelf fastened to the bathroom wall which makes going "around" the bed kind of a pain when it is folded down.........I do not know if it is original but there is a small "stand" next to the wardrobe that is more or less a shelf with a box under it with the heat vent coming out of it.............hope this helps......

Oh yeah........one can lift up the end of the mattress to access the storage underneath....There are a couple of hydraulic lifts there that dont work so I use a board to hold it up.......ITS HEAVY........Only used this way to get to the storage a couple of times. I dont store a lot under there any way as I dont like the weight on the rear end of the trailer......Basically I just put my rods, awning tool, hoses, and stuff there.........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Check my photo's for solution to access doors on twins to queen conversion: Member's Photos - Photo Gallery
Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna take out the twins this weekend and hopefully get a frame built over the next couple of weeks, don't think it should be too big a job. Also have to look at re-routing that heat vent.

Thanks Dan
Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Bob, thanks for the pictures, given me some good ideas.

Dan
Old 08-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Check my photo's for solution to access doors on twins to queen conversion: Member's Photos - Photo Gallery

Bob, you're a class act. I'm gonna do my bed like you did yours. You were even smart enough to leave the back open. Great looking rig!

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
54 x 75 is a full size bed, not a queen. An RV queen is 60 x 75. That's why the queen sheets do not snug up well.

I had a 54 x 75 in my International 22. It was plenty big enough for us. I have had the crosswise queen in the last 2 trailers (25 and 28 Classic), but just in the last month went the other way and converted my queen to twins.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I like the idea of the twins but I didn't like the OEM design that concealed all of the perimeter. The cross ways double or queen leaves all of the wall/floor joint exposed except the the head of the bed and that's hinged and accessible. The bed table and the twins all featured raw (rotting) plywood underneath. None of it had ever been cleaned and the cluttered up raw wood design virtually made it uncleanable. In fact to clean it, I had to remove everything.

I may put twins back in some day but I doubt it.

I'm going to take the same approach with the living area. All the floor will be finished and the furniture will be movable and removable.

Gary
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for all the advice, luckily AS put the carpet in the bedroom down before anything else and it covers the entire bedroom area, even under the beds in the exterior access storage compartments, and then they covered it with a plastic sheeting to keep it clean which seems to have worked, so apart from the marks left on the carpet by the twin bed frames i should be good to go, and it looks like Bob has a great solution for covering the exterior access door. Just got to work out how to re-route the heat vent.
Thanks again, you've all been a great help, Dan
Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The heat vent in my crossways queen was simply flat against the bathroom wall. It was close enough to the perimeter to avoid the sliding door. I had to extend it when I went to twins.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The heat vent in mine went under the curbside single bed and came out back by the night stand. I surgically removed it and I'm currently staring at a stubby coming out of the bathroom wall looking like I trimmed it with a chainsaw.

Gary