Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #1

Converting twin beds to one queen...

Hi!

We have recently purchased a '74 Ambassador rear bath twin bed model. Ours appears to be very original, and we'd like to keep it that way, but the small twin beds just aren't cutting it!! We have the double front couch model, one of which folds out to a nice sized bed, but we'll be living in ours for about a year while we build our house, and would rather put in a queen bed.

Has anyone else converted the twins to a queen? We thought about removing the driver's side bed (saving the tambor doors to fix the other side!!!) and then extending the curb-side frame out (keep it looking original looking) to accommodate a queen bed. In looking at it, is seems that a queen bed would still allow for adequate passage through both doors, especially with the drivers side bed removed. (obviously we need to measure....)

Any suggestion for what to do with the space on the driver's side once we remove that bed? We have to leave it pretty wide for passage through to the bath, but some type of storage/chest of drawers would be nice...

Thanks for your help!!!

TR

P.S. if we do make the change, should we save the original parts for potential future sale??
TinRoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 10:58 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi TR,

A queen size bed will take up almost the entire width of the trailer, unless you are talking about a camper queen size. We toyed with this idea on our tradewind model. Yours is longer, but not wider, i believe.
We would have to take out the closets on the street side, and loose all the storage. We would laos loose access to the rear bath, unless we crawl over the bed. ( Not!)
I believe your Ambassador has a space behind the bed with storage, no? There might be waterheater in the street side closet to consider.
I would keep the parts you remove, so you that you can put things back afterwards, if you desire.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Hi!
I know some people who also didn't like the twin bed arrangement in their similar model & ended up putting a queen bed in the front & converted the "bedroom" into a living area by removing the driver side matress, and putting shelves on the bed "frame" for the TV, stereo, etc. It's kind of a weird arrangement but they have lived with this set up for two years 24/7. You could even run a tension rod w/ a curtain across part of the bed to make the front look more attactive in case of guests.
I, too, have a similar model & am not too thrilled with the twin beds. Mostly because they are so uncomfortable. My plan is to replace the "stock" matresses with newer, more comfortable ones or buying a couple of those thermaputic(?) foam pads.
The problem with putting a bigger matress in the bedroom area is probably going to be the wheel wells.
Good luck!!
74Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Double bed model

There is a double bed model for the rear bath, center bedroom '70's trailers. It is essentailly the same goucho that is in front, on the curb side, with a wardrobe and chest of drawers on the opposite side. I think they used that arraingement so the bed could be folded up to permit easy movement from front to rear (bath) of the trailer. We looked at a couple before finding ours with Twins. The kids get the twin beds, we sleep on the front goucho. Works fine, but would want a queen / double for just the two of us, and certainly if full timing. Our motorhome has a really nice bedroom in back with a good size (just about queen) bed. I think the same is true of some of the rear bedroom trailers.
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hi TR, Here is an idea...

one that we have already used in the past. We have center twins in our Overlander, so I used a piece of 1/2" plywood overlaping both beds by 1 1/2" and the same length as the twin matresses. Then I added a 1" wide piece of wood to the plywood (full length) on both sides so they drop inside the bed wall. . Drop filler under exsisting matresses and add foam rubber to equal the bed height. When that fad was over, AS was still original! Storage was easy 'cause filler and foam sat on one of twin beds.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 06:22 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
"Twin Factor"

I am currently altering my forward Gaucho into a full size bed and it still operates as a gaucho,( turns into a couch)

I had to remove the "stops" from the existing slides so that the slides would extend to their fullest length. I then had to come up with supports that would support the weight of the bed and the slides.
So I made some brackets that would fold away when the Gaucho is in Couch position.

I mounted the brackets last night.

I am awaiting the delivery of my new full size mattress that I ordered from Knox Foam online. I bought the middle grade, 6" full size mattress for 126 dollars. It will be delivered to my door. Shipping was included in the price.

The mattress will be a single piece of foam. No more gaps to fall into in the middle of the night.

I am photographing the alteration and I will post photos when completed. I anticipate great solution to the "Twin Factor".

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Smily ~

How do you intend to use the single piece of 6" foam in the gaucho position?

We extended our side gaucho (by relocating the stops) to be a near-full size mattress, but still have the 6" thick, three-piece hinged, foam so it folds up to use for the gaucho.

There is no way the foam that we got would "fold" without the hinges....please explain.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	591  
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 05:21 PM   #8
hex

Question Bed Time Fantasies

Although I am near talking myself out of the Airstream TT dream, I still have some bed questions.

A ~~real~~ full (double) is 76" long X 54" wide. (Four and a half ft) Right?
A ~~real~~ queen is 80" long X 60" wide. (Five ft.).

An Airstream DoubleBed (rear bath) is ____x____???
An Airstream DoubleBed (center bath)(rear Bdm.) is____x_____??

The inside width of a 1974 Airstream is_____?
[Why does Airstream not give dimensions in it's owners manual and service manual I'll never understand].

I want to eliminate the twins in a 31" TT rear bath. Replace one with as large a one piece mattress as possible. Install a computer desk where the other twin was, and still have room to squeeze thru to the rear bath even with the bed down.I'm imagining a Murphy bed device to fold the bed upright (horizontally).But I am not sure that there would be any advantage to folding it up. i.e. what would that occasional floor space accomplish? I also am figuring that I will need minimum 36" depth for the computer desk and chair space. (42" if possible).

Considerations:
Eliminate the chair and sit on the bed. Lower the computer desk to accomodate. (I feel the back aches already! )

The 76" length needed for a ~~real~~ mattress will not fit in the area? Jettison all plans .....stay at a hotel.

The wheel well will ruin all chance of flipping the bed up?

Investigate Futons ..probably as uncomfortable as a gaucho gapped bed??
Investigate high quality flat top air mattress??

Keep twins but find a good-looking redheaded chiropractress to travel with me.

As always I am appreciative of any and all comments. Thanks,
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 07:50 PM   #9
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Computer desk and sleeping comfort

Hex,
I had all the same thoughts about that space and this is what I ended up doing.
The new foam is thick and comfortable and the other bed now has the two old foam mattresses on top of each other for extra sleeping comfort.

look at this thread to see the mechanics of the computer desk:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...s=&threadid=52
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twincouchs.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	593  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:09 PM   #10
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
TO???

I could NOT remember which Thread I promised to tell when I got pictures downloaded. I just did it, and I'm putting out 'feelers'..

I want to add to this Thread about what I'm doing to my REAR bedroom...and my converting the "double" bed (it wasn't even that big),,,to a single TWIN. There was a slide out (extender) with 4 long "legs" to make the bed longer when you wanted to go to bed; I took that, and used 2/3 of it for a 'pull-out' drawer UNDER my custom bed for storage (the Irish do this all the time). I took one "leg" and I'm cutting (it's anodized aluminum) it to make a post under my galley sink to attach doors to (I'm tossing the Tambour doors there because they are warped badly.)
As I said, I can't remember who it was on here that's waiting for the photos of my restoration, and there's so many forums I can't find it. , I've fianally started a Photo Album on here. ...I put 2 on today...
To see them, just go to the Member's Photos and you'll see them.
They are progress shots,,,and lots of unfinished things are apparent.

Oh...by the way, that 'ridge' (dent) or whatever you call the 'crack' in the goucho... that someone mentioned a problem with. That's not really a problem --- for a problem-solver/designer like The Cat. I've designed a "bedding pad" with a piece of foam in it, that fills in that curved crack so it's level when you make up the bed. I used an electric carving knife and a curling iron to shape it. It's permanently IN the bedpad which also has 'fibrefoam' and is attached to thin foam sheeting;
I have it rolled up and stored behind the goucho in a speically made drawstring bag (like a sleeping bag). I just pull it out and unroll it, smooth the 'filler' in the crack and finish making up the bed. I use one contour sheet (I've cut-down from a bigger one), and unroll another "topper" made with a couple of blankets and a washable "duvet" (cover). It all stores behind the couch in their own drawstring bags.(2) Everyone that sleeps in it, wishes they could either stay or take it home with them.
I'll make pictures of them and post them, if anyone is interested?

Good Thread...
Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Great ideas!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #12

1989 34' Excella
Laurens , South Carolina
Have a question when changing from twin to queen -- and placing "struts" under the bed platform to allow for storage underneath.

We have the 'struts' which are extended open. Where (which angle) would you install them? I'm having a hard time visualizing this -- and my husband and I are having a hard time communicating.

Thanks!
TinkersMom
TinkersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
We completed our conversion from twins to a queen bed in the '85 25-footer last summer. I used a commercial steel bed frame with springs to support a "memory-foam" mattress. The height of the steel frame above the floor allows for the storage of 9 recycled airstream plastic drawer trays. The head board of the bed is on the street side and I modified the left corner of the headboard side to match the curve of the wall. The modification was made by cutting off the original 90-degree corner of the frame and welding a piece of curved angle iron in place.

To top-off the rear bedroom, I mounted a 32" LED flat-screen on the ceiling to save more space.

Nice 'n cozy!

Cheers,

Art

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
I considering doing something like this with our twin beds. Check the section of this video starting at the 10:00 minute mark. What do you think?

Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Lakeway , Texas
That might solve my problem...did you convert yours?
jbs411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs411 View Post
That might solve my problem...did you convert yours?

This is what we ended up doing in our rear twin. It is a true king size 79 1/2" by 76"

Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Lived with a regular queen mattress on the extended double frame for a year when I got married. Had to turn sideways to get to the bathroom I think. But I don't remember it being difficult to open to the closets and drawers, as we utilized them all. (1972, 31' double bed--originally--in the middle with a rear bath). Very livable. Hope this helps.
SoverignGal is offline   Reply With Quote