Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
pacifica , California
converting twin beds into queen bed

Is it difficult and expensive to convert 2twins to a queen bed? Would the Airstream dealer do the conversion?
Sylvia

Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, it is normally a difficult and expensive conversion because of the differences in storage compartments and their doors.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Yes, Yes, and Yes.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
Hi Sylvia!

We did the opposite--we converted a queen to two twins.

It was inexpensive, easy and fun.

I don't know which model(s) you are considering, and I wouldn't know what kind of outside compartments they had even if you told me the models. But in our model, a 25B, there was one outside compartment that was behind the head of the queen and we incorperated that under one of the twins.

PM me if you have questions, or would like to talk about what our conversion entailed!

Cathy
Old 10-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Twin vs Queen

It's always an individual choice, but over time your needs may, and probably will change. If you have kids who go camping with you "gittin' busy" is difficult in the close confines of a trailer anyway. If you can send the kids on a hayride or other supervised social event, then sharing a twin for 30 minutes... will work just fine. (OK 9 minutes, my imagination ran away with me)

In smaller trailers, the full or queen bed means someone is crawling out over the top of the other person to take a bathroom break. Twins can be more flexible and comfortable over the long run. Lots of times, you may want to have a guys hunting party... or a week at a quilt festival for the women. Even if my sister and I invited a couple of friends along, I'm sure we'd all be more comfortable with single sleeping arrangements.

The last big thing is STORAGE. It's far more accessable under twins than any double or queen. Looking from front to back twins make the trailer look bigger. Finally you can make a twin bedroom function as a lounge during the day. A folding tray table allows four people to play poker.

I have a queen - and I'm on the verge of converting it to twins.

Take your time. If you've found the "perfect" Airstream except for the queen - just try to live with it for a season, then if you STILL want a queen have at it. Prior posters are right about the exterior storage doors though. You could well end up with a "door to nowhere" on one or both sides if you convert to a queen. If I converted to twins, I'd simply have one twin without an exterior "garage" door - and no door under the nightstand.

Paula
Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I went queen to twins. I stopped at Jackson Center and had them install a long storage door in the curb side. That gives great access under that bed. The existing small door serves its purpose on the road side. I may expand that door to a long door next year when I stop at Jackson Center.

The chest of drawers I built for between the beds gives us unheard of storage. I rebuilt the lower bedside cabinet into an upper cabinet for the curb side. We have an almost embarrassing amount of storage.

We have had two trailers with the crosswise queen. Never again! We love the twins and our cats do, too as the photo shows.

We would never go back to the queen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CatsOnTwins.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	114161  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I see you did the work yourself. Any idea what Jackson Center would have charged? And what did they hit you for - for the 2nd exterior door?

Paula
Old 10-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
I had a lot of brake work done at the same time at JC, so I don't know the exact amount for the storage door. I think it was around $450, maybe a bit more. They did a fine job installing it and I would recommend anyone doing a twin conversion put the big storage door in the curb side. I can live with the small door in the road side, but I will probably replace that with a long door next year. No idea what JC would have charged to put in twins.

Counting the Mattresses ($1000) and the door (say $450), I probably have another $150 to $200 in wood, wiring, etc. for a total of $1600 to $1650.

Mattresses came from Rocky Mountain Mattress and I heartily recommend them. I sent them a paper template and the mattresses not only fit well, but they are way better than Airstream provides.

Everything else, I did myself. I used the old bed pedestal for the twin bed sides and the top of the queen provided most of the tops for the twins. I built the new cabinet at the rear using pocket hole joinery. Look on my Classic 28 thread for a step by step account of the changeover with photos.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My trailer had the twin setup when I got it. I have removed everything from the sleeping area and I intend to install a cleanable floor in the area. The OEM installation was just a vermin paradise with the ducts, the trapped plastic pans, and the builtins over raw plywood. The only rational way to clean it was to remove it all. My other problem with the OEM design is that it concealed all of the wall area at the floor location in a way that leaks stayed undetected and untreated. I want access and visibility.

I intend to initially replace the two beds with one standard sized bed with the head located streetside. With the double bed, the heat duct is a non issue. The duct can just exit into the sleeping area through the panel located rear of the toilet.

My plan is to make everything accessible and cleanable . . . unlike the OEM design. I intend to take the same approach in the front living area. My plan is to install a new freestanding jackknife sofa, a small table, and a recliner with a matching footstool. All on a full finished, cleanable, hard floor. I expect I'll experiment and with the freestanding approach, I'll have the flexibility to do that.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I intend to initially replace the two beds with one standard sized bed with the head located streetside.
Gary
With a narrow body trailer such as yours, a standard length bed pretty much fills the side to side space. With an 8' wide trailer, you need to subtract about a foot for wall thickness and the inward taper of the walls at the bottom. A full-size mattress is 75", which leaves just about 9" of walking room at the foot. A custom mattress with a bit of curve at the top and at the bottom corners would help a bit in getting past the bed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
extra parts from the twins

I took out both twins to repair the subflooring. Thought I noted everything carefully, but when I reassembled the twin beds I wound up with an extra board on both sides and no place to put them--the same board design with angled end cuts.

Does anyone know where it goes and what it attaches to?

Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Twinbed Views.png
Views:	284
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	117580  
Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I converted our twins to a pedistal queen. It is one of the most important modifications to our trailer. being a pedistal, the bed is easy to make and get around plus, you don't wind up with a cold wall to sleep against. See pics....note I have provided a tape measure on the frame so you can get dimension if need be.
Member's Photos - Photo Gallery

Supporting info here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f141...ses-15499.html
Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Bob, that's a fantastic job you did on your trailer.

What clear coat did you use? Did you use an adhesion promoter?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
See the whole story here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...5-a-10522.html