Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Converting double to twin

Our 31' currently is the sidewise double bed. Thinking of coverting it to a twin.
What suggestions do you have and what do I need to watch out for?
Thanks in advance
Ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
That means you're a mid-bath, right? If so, this is the arrangement for rear twins:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7639 bedroom left center-s.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	50989Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7638 bedroom right center-s.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	50990

a nice table in between with a pull-out shelf (the top "drawer" is really a flat pull-out table top). Beds have been removed, but you can see how Airstream did it.

Further, the closet in yours is only two doors wide, but in the twin the closet is three doors. The closet wall on the street side comes all the way back to be the headboard for the street side bed, same as the bath wall is for the curb side bed.

Zep
Old 12-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
We are currently converting our 25' 2006 Classic from an east/west queen to two twins. It is going very smoothly. The only reason that it is going slowly is that Pete as about a million non-Airstream projects going at the same time. But, really, it has been a very straight forward modification , and when I get a chance I will post some pictures of the project. The only part that is a thinker is the fact that you are fitting something into a space that is never completely level, nor is it square. But if you temp it together outside of the trailer and then fit it into place it APPEARS to be okay. Of course, when it is all done and we keep rolling out of bed, I may have to amend the claim of it being an easy one.
Cathy&Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Ted, Available length may be a problem. Also, check to see what's under the double bed. There shouldn't be anything out in the center of the trailer, but there may be some plumbing/water filters, etc. near the roadside. You'll need to have mattresses made to fit the corners of the trailer. Most twin bed models had half-closets (shirt closets) over the foot of the beds. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenpow
Our 31' currently is the sidewise double bed. Thinking of coverting it to a twin.
What suggestions do you have and what do I need to watch out for?
Thanks in advance
Ted
Hi, don't do it. This is the first step in the direction of separation, then divorce. Keep the queen bed to be shared by the king and queen. Just my opinion.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Yes, it is a mid-bath. Here is our thoughts so far, starting at the closet wall street side. Dog kennel on the floor with three drawers above. then the twin on that side. Center nightstand (move the 30 amp breaker box from under the queen) one drawer with door under it. then the twin on the other side.
Another question, is it better to have drawers under the twins ofr cubbies?
thanks again
ted
Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Ted, Available length may be a problem. Darol
I measured the Ambassador and it's the same length, from bath wall to rear end, as the Sovereign. I think effective length at bed height is about 82". No problem.

Ted, I think you've got a good plan, using the extra length on the street side. However, your question of drawers under vs. just storage space with doors is the question of the ages. I've gone with spaces, but have often thought how much better it would be to have drawers. You have to think about the limited space between the beds for pulling drawers out...but the same applies to boxes in the spaces, if that's they way you went.

Zep
Old 12-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenpow
Another question, is it better to have drawers under the twins ofr cubbies?

ted
I agree with Zep we used to have the twin bed configuration with the flip down doors. I too thought drawers would be nice until I considered how awkward that would be for clearance aand reaching. It will also cut down on your space and add weight. At first we started using the Airstream supplied plastic trays but we soon skipped using those except for holding dirty shoes or boots and placed items directly on the carpeting or in their repective containers that would vary from trip to trip for us. I think it worked out very well and never had to worry about fitting things in or the weight of the items. Sometimes it would be a carton of soda sometimes a box of magazines, stack of jeans...just a very versatile set-up with a minimum of construction and easy reach.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Well here is the latest.
The back is completly empty. Thank you Ryan (son-in-law)
Cut access hole to get to the Tank valves, cut out and replaced everything from the tanks to the outside. Filled both tanks and checked for leaks(zero-I must have passed plumbing 101)
Tomorrow, creat a new hatch cover to be screwed down just in case!!!!
Having new mattresses (twin) made then the final design can get under way.

Pictures to follow if I can upload them
Ted
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just a suggestion, if you want open storage under your beds, measure the height of a small plastic storage tote, like you would get at Wal-Mart. Add an inch to that figure, and build the bottom of your beds at that height.
That way you can store the totes under the beds, keep the stuff in them, and just swap them out depending on what you are going to be doing that trip. Snap top lids will keep most unpleasant stuff out of them.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I noticed a set of twin beds/mattresses, it looks like a complete set, in the classifieds yesterday. Sure would make the swap easy if they are within reasonable distance.

Twins in our trailer made a big difference in our sleep. We have very different sleeping patterns and it's very enjoyable now for both of us. And the way I set it up I can add a piece in between and have the foam to drop in and Ta Da, a large double when desired. I keep the extra piece of foam mattress under one side of the twin, and the board is under the other side mattress.

Barry