Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sioux City , Iowa
Converting an Airstream for a Mobile Catering Kitchen

I do a lot of vending at events such as Art Shows, Renaissance Festival, and Fairs. I also do many private caterings for businesses and friends. A friend of mine suggested converting an Airstream with a competent professional kitchen I could license and use for production, as it would be cool, relatively easy to haul and the same height as my customers at events, as opposed to the height of many catering vans. Thoughts; oh wise members...

Sincerely:

Chef Paul
chefpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefpaul View Post
I do a lot of vending at events such as Art Shows, Renaissance Festival, and Fairs. I also do many private caterings for businesses and friends. A friend of mine suggested converting an Airstream with a competent professional kitchen I could license and use for production, as it would be cool, relatively easy to haul and the same height as my customers at events, as opposed to the height of many catering vans. Thoughts; oh wise members...

Sincerely:

Chef Paul
Hi Chef Paul, I've seen this in my area. Skillet Street Food

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Opinion:

Find a gutted unit and "Build to suit".

It is better to be used than end up as
scrap....

To "repurpose" is good.

---------------------

They are out there....following is just a sample:
Airsteam Project Trailer - $90Airsteam Project Trailer - $900
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/1989104311.html
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I saw the Surreal Gourmet, Bob Blumer travel in his toaster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bob_blumer-med.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	112577   Click image for larger version

Name:	you_got_it-med.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	112578  

Name:	inside_look-med.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	112579   Click image for larger version

Name:	here_they_come-med.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	112580  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Timeless Travel does custom Airstreams. Check out their latest. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...eam-69837.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37414_125191410858116.jpg
Views:	1675
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	112581   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0702.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	112582  

Name:	img_0686.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	112583   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0692.jpg
Views:	2615
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	112584  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've seen these come up for sale now and then on Craigslist. You might want to search around the big cities and find one already done than start from scratch. There are a number of them out there.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sioux City , Iowa
Response

Thank you everyone so far. Looking for one already done, on Craigslist is a very good idea, I will try immediatly.

cp
chefpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #8

Burlington , Vermont
Me too!

Hi. I am also looking for an already-converted-to-commercial kitchen airstream for my company, The Skinny Pancake (Breakfast Burlington | french crepes | VT Live Music). I've been surfin' the net, but no luck. If anyone knows of someone looking to sell such an item, please get in touch with me at benjy@skinnypancake.com.

Thanks!!!
BenjyPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
On craigslist Austin,Tx there is a 66 Carvel,it has the side hinged,but that looks as far as they got. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Paul - here's one you may find interesting. This was a mail trailer for the WBCCI:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
There aren’t very many Airstream trailers already converted to commercial uses available for sale. We have been in business for 7 years and have so far only seen one of our foodservice trailers come up for resale. There are only a few others that we have seen on the resale market and these were so poorly accomplished that our clients were better off starting from a base trailer and working from there.

The Skillet Street Food trailer of Seattle was mentioned earlier in the thread. They built their own trailer and ended up with a chassis broken in two within a month of entering service. Their Airstream now rides on a flatbed cargo trailer. They have also been shut down by the King County Health Department for a number of code violations.

The process of converting a travel trailer to a concession trailer is not as simple as it may seem. Travel trailers were never built to haul much over their original build weight plus somewhere around 400# of equipment and provisions. When we start adding the commercial foodservice equipment, water tanks, water heater, generator, hood and fire suppression (required in most locations and highly recommended everywhere), etc required by code for a kitchen the weight starts to go up significantly. Reinforcing the chassis and replacing the axle(s) are some of the most important jobs we perform in a project such as this. Keeping the weight distribution and balance correct is absolutely essential to keep the trailer safely on the highway. We know of several trailers which have been converted using a typical food TRUCK layout which places the cooking equipment in such a way that the trailer has a very unstable negative tongue weight. Installing sufficient electrical supply and large enough propane tanks to supply enough propane vapor are also challenging.

On a used trailer we start by removing the existing interior all the way down to the exterior shell. We take out the fiberglass insulation which frequently harbors insects and rodents as well as absorbs and holds water from constant cleaning and condensation created by dish washing, boiling water and related activities. Then we install the service window, commercial electrical service, closed cell foam insulation and an all-aluminum interior which will meet any health code.

We can also start with a new Airstream or Westcraft heavy duty commercial shell and build out a kitchen from one of these trailers. The Westcraft body style can be seen here: http://www.timelesstraveltrailers.co...ry/patio-joes/

This foodservice trailer, operating in Boulder, CO, is a 2011 Timeless Airstream Heavy Duty model capable of a gross vehicle weight of 13,000#. A typical 23’ camping Airstream would weigh in fully loaded at 6900#. We worked with Airstream and their chassis manufacturer to develop these platforms specifically for the foodservice industry and they are only available through Timeless. We chose this size trailer as it is the optimum size for the required equipment and for drivability in urban areas.
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefpaul View Post
Thank you everyone so far. Looking for one already done, on Craigslist is a very good idea, I will try immediatly.

cp
Not sure if you are still looking, but I found this one while looking for a non-food cart airstream

Incredible Airstream Food Trailer
smeghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #13

1978 25' Caravanner
Denver , Colorado
I'm selling one Paul, please contact me if you'd like and I'm selling it at a 1/3 of the price of the StreAt Chefs Airstream and it has a built-in walk-in and 3 well dishwashing sink, I'm also selling it with a truck to tow it! Please contact me for pics and additional specs and information!
Thanks,
Scott
paseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #14

1972 27' Overlander
Brooklyn , Michigan
Airstream mobile kitchen

I just posted mine for sale in the classifieds here. 72' 25' Overlander that I converted into a traveling kitchen. Self contained. 1 yr old build. $32,500 Can call me at 517 414-3585 Please be sure to check the AD
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #15

1985 31' Limited
Foley , Alabama
Concession Trailer

I recently tried to do a conversion on a 31' airstream but decided that buying a new custom built concession trailer which was custom built for us just made more sense for us. We bought the unit from Concession Trailers, Concession Trailer, Mobile Kitchens, BBQ Smoker, Trailers they also said that they do conversions on airstreams as well. Airsteam On!!!!
foodforlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #16
EmmiesEatery

1978 25' Tradewind
huntsville , Texas
We have a "78 Tradewind we may consider selling. We spent the better part of a year restoring and transforming it into a mobile kitchen. 40% of the frame was replaced, new brakes axles, shocks, insulation, electrical, plumbing etc. We added stainless counter tops, and diamond plate floor. It even has custom home-made curtains! We did the majority of the work ourselves and hired professionals where needed. We have over a hundred photos documenting the entire process on facebook at HTX Street Food. email if you are interested or have any questions. emmieseatery@htxstreetfood.com
EmmiesEatery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Not sure if you were also looking for feedback as far as just the idea, but I was in catering for ten years and I would say it's a fantastic idea. I'm currently working on my Safari for personal and business use (now in the film business), as I think something like this really makes you stand out.
In catering a lot of business comes from word or mouth and people will surely talk if you have a shiny airstream or a retro trailer! I love my safari, but I also think it could be very cool to re-do a spartan for something like that (I almost bought a Spartan). This place has some cool units: VintageCampers.com :: Vintage Campers, Vintage Trailers, Vintage Parts, Vintage Restorations
Not sure if you have ever put in a professional kitchen, but you'll need a hood and fire suppression which may end up being the most expensive thing in the trailer if you do it yourself! Anyway, I say go for it, and I agree that getting a gutted (or old) one and saving it from decay is a fun and noble thing to do (if you are able to of course).
Cheers,
Eric Hurt
www.pillageandplunderpictures.com
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This is probably the coolest concession trailer I have ever seen. It was converted in the late 40's...

Name:	P1040108.jpg
Views:	3399
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	139452
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Gouldsboro , Maine
Sounds like fun! Please let us know how it works out! Thanks!
sophiefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Engineering and codes first!

Before embarking on a project such as converting a camping trailer to a mobile foodservice vehicle make certain to check with your local code authorities on their requirements. Otherwise you can end up with a lot of time and money invested in a project you cannot license to use.

The most important aspect to consider is the engineering of the chassis and axles. Every trailer has a maximum amount of weight it can carry. Camping trailers are not up to the loads imposed by a commercial kitchen. We use an independent, 3rd party, Licensed Professional Engineer to review our designs before starting a build. Window openings need to be designed and made so that the structural integrity of the body is not compromised.

We have helped save many projects where critical (and expensive) errors were made and could have been avoided with planning and knowledge.
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote