Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
manchester , Lancashire
hi is your vending airstream still for sale ?
wynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I converted my '69 Overlander into a coffee concession trailer.
I would agree with most of the previous posts.
Brett, with TTT has some important information:
Do your research FIRST.
Find out what you HAVE to have in the trailer to satisfy the Health Department.
Then, design the layout with the lightest equipment possible. No fancy flooring, etc. Remember the original purpose of the trailer: To dispense FOOD. "Pretty don't pay" as they say.
Then have an engineer look it over. You WILL find the trailer won't carry commercial kitchen equipment, like a fryer or range, and the kitchen hood, etc. So plan on beefing up the entire frame and suspension. Airstreams weren't made for that.
Absolutely, find a junked trailer. Gut it completely, and rebuild it. You won't be able to re-use ANY of the old system, including furnace, water heater, wiring, plumbing, etc. You just won't. All you want is the exterior skin, and plan on a horrendous amount of polishing!!!!
But, that's OK. You can pick up an old vintage AS for less than $5K, spend another $25-30K and have a mobile food service for $30-35K.
A great deal!!!! You couldn't open a restaurant for anywhere near that, plus you're mobile. ("Location, location, location.")
In my opinion, the Airstream will sell itself compared to a regular "box" trailer. I just walk into a place, tell them I have a vintage Airstream coffee trailer and want to lease some of their space, and I'm IN.
The eye-appeal is incredible. Everyone LOOKS!!!

I think there should be a special Airstream Concession Club!!!
Hmmm.....that might not be a bad idea!
Ed Glenn
Registry name: "aerojava" .
Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Results??

Edglen, great info. I totally agree about the curb appeal of the AS for a concession trailer.

So, anyone out there have any success stories (or words of caution) they would like to share as far as AS food trailers?

I've been spending a lot of time in Austin TX which has a TON of food trailers (a lot of which are vintage) so a chef friend of mine and I have been talking about building out a AS for a food trailer and I'd like to hear any thoughts...

Not that you have to share exact numbers, or anything, but any thoughts on the best things to serve (as far as profit margin and mass appeal) would be great. My family has a health inspected kitchen they own (which you have to have in VA to have a food trailer), but assuming the trailer will be a full kitchen as well. I assume coffee is a good call.
One additional benifit to these things it seems is that if something isn't working they can be re-branded easily, any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Eric
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote