Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Minno: YEY!! i'm glad someone else is out there doing the same thing! I would Definitely want to compare notes. We are quite literally one day into the remodel, and I just want to be informed before we get back down there and start tearing this thing apart. Do you have floor plans that you're going from, or just winging it? if you do, would you be willing to share? Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

Wahoo: The trailer is located in Maple Hill, NC. 45 mins from Wilmington. It's where we have our land and while it's not sitting in the spot where it will sit, it's in the shade so we can work comfortably through the summer with no ac! If you would be willing to share your manual, Let me know how much you would like for copying costs or your time to scan! Thanks so much! and we would love to see the pics, anything to give us a clue as to what we're getting into.

Aerowood: Thanks SOOOO MUCH!!! this info is great! we will definitely keep everything that we tear out. for the most part, the stuff we've thrown out so far is garbage anyway. the roll up compartment covers were trash and most of the aluminum rails are bent and destroyed. so we are scrapping them and will be buying new ones. Thanks for the tank information. Definitely not something that i thought of. This is great!!

Overlander: I've never seen that translation service before. thanks!!

Pizza: You're pics are great! thanks! I was able to show my husband what i was talking about with the shower stall going over the wheel well. We weren't sure of that. we were kinda figuring that the vents would have to be moved. Thanks for the info! We are ambitious... but we need to be happy and the only way i can live with my husband in such confined quarters would be to have the bath in the center!!

Thanks everyone for the info! Keep it coming! can never have too much knowledge!
SilverTwink7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Hi, I have a thread started at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...s-72465-2.html
I won't be running into the same problems under the floor, and I have alot more freedom with the floor plan, but I'm sure some problems/fixes will relate.

I'm single and I don't like the rear bath. I can't imagine two people living with the rear bath, so I came on here to see how couples manage, and to hear a few female perspectives.
The rear bath has more space and storage, but you would prefer the middle bath?
Did you do the change over, or did it lose steam for a reason?
I'm still not sure about which way I want to go. I think I could stand the rear bath if I wasn't worried about the rear of the trailer falling off.
nomader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We're ending up keeping our bath in the rear of the trailer - just couldn't tolerate having to cancel most of the exterior storage hatches if we put the bath in the center of the trailer. We don't like the split baths that you see in a lot of the new trailers. We have a side bath in our current SOB trailer and we like it. That trailer is wider than the AS, however, and it does make a difference when you start laying out a side bath. We are moving the shower/tub to the wall separating the bath from our bedroom area in the center of the trailer.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
ST7,

Do you want to actually build a camper out of this Airstream? Or, is it going to be a single location home while you build your other house? The reason I ask is....if you're not planning to pull this trailer around from campground to campground, but rather just park it in one spot and live in it while you build your permanent house (at least until your house is done), you don't need to have ANY holding tanks.

If it's going to be stationary, just run the plumbing through some traps, route them all to a central drain, and run them into the septic system that you're going to have to have for your house. You won't need holding tanks because you're not taking it anywhere.

As well, if you don't plan on towing the trailer around, then who cares about frame sag or separation. It becomes a non-issue to a stationary trailer. Just put the jacks down, maybe stick an extra scizzors jack under the back bumper, skirt around it to keep the cold air out, and call it good.

Now, after your house is done, and you want to use this Airstream as your travel machine, then by all means do all the necessary and proper repairs. But if you plan to park it one spot for the next several years, you could avoid a lot of these headaches altogether.

It IS a lot of work to move the bathroom. But, if you're completely gutting the coach, then it's less of a big deal. You might want to just stick in an actual house tub/shower unit for now....as the RV units are about half scale replicas.

My own coach has the split bathroom in the middle and I really like it. We had the twin beds in the rear, one on either side of the aisle. I thought they were awful, so built a little bridge across he aisle and put a King mattress back there. Now I sleep like a King

Best of luck,
Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomader View Post
Hi, I have a thread started at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...s-72465-2.html
I won't be running into the same problems under the floor, and I have alot more freedom with the floor plan, but I'm sure some problems/fixes will relate.

I'm single and I don't like the rear bath. I can't imagine two people living with the rear bath, so I came on here to see how couples manage, and to hear a few female perspectives.
The rear bath has more space and storage, but you would prefer the middle bath?
Did you do the change over, or did it lose steam for a reason?
I'm still not sure about which way I want to go. I think I could stand the rear bath if I wasn't worried about the rear of the trailer falling off.
Hi Nomader!

This project lost steam. We gutted the entire trailer and started doing the remodel, and then got pregnant!! so we ended up moving into a small 2br house because I couldn't live in a trailer with a baby.. It just wasn't happening.

As for the female perspective... I would've much rather had a bigger bedroom in the rear then the storage. Although, because this was planned to be in a stationary spot, we were planning on creating our own storage UNDER the trailer (trap doors in the floor to create more storage space). We made our own floor plan with the help of the new floor plans on the AS Website, with our own modifications of course to suit our needs.

We ended up selling the shell for $1500 and using the money to pay the midwife bill. We had a beautiful home birth and our Son was born Sept 30! Eventually we will have our own AS Again, it is a dream of mine and I will not give up!!
SilverTwink7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
That will change plans really quick. Best wishes to all of you.
I was just thinking about putting a door in the floor. We'll see

-
I'm just about to post the pictures. Plans changed a bit and I didn't want to post bad info/measurements.
nomader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Sanford , North Carolina
Doing the same thing to our gutted 31' Soverign 1972

There's no point in trying to save any of the plumbing as it will all have to be redone. New black tank, new gray tanks, basically new everything. Its not a little job I first finished gutting everything myself. Subfloor was worst. Got Electriction to put new wiring and lighting. Moved batteries to tongue, threw away old converter. I now have a builder/handyman plumbing and reflooring, cabinets and yes placing the toilet and shower mid-area. Rear is new bedroom. You are doing almost the same and we live in NC too.
btyler48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center bathroom, convert, rear bathroom