Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to rochsmama Send a message via Yahoo to rochsmama
convert center twins to double bed - any ideas?

my 69 Int'l overlander has a rear bath and twin beds in the center. I am trying to come up with a floor plan to convert this space to a double bed with maybe a computer area too... Any ideas guys?

Tina - moved in 3 weeks ago to have midlife crisis!
rochsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I guess that you might want to consider removing 1 bed for your computer desk, and the other bed, substitute a futon.
Midlife crisis seems to be a right of passage. Hope it passes quickly.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Lightbulb converting singles to double

I am considering taking out the two singles and replacing one with a double futon couch by day double bed by night. Wooden frames available in dark or light colors or metal in quite a variety of callers. I purchased a good one with changeable mattress cover for $300.00 Canadian on sale just to give you an idea on prices. Where the second single is you could put a small mobile computer station. I used to bring a full size computer with me with a tv card in it and a vcr hooked up to the same unit use the computer screen as the TV. When it was pouring out I could play computer games or watch TV if I needed etc. There are some extreamel small computer cases available as well now or use a laptop. My laptop also has an adaptor on the side to hook to a larger tv either through SVS digital or composite jacks. Quite a few vid cards have tv outs now on them as well for as low as $50.00. I never liked climbing all over everythihg to get into the washroom when it is being used as a double (two singles slide into each other as you probably already know) There are three of us in the family. My fiancee and I sleep up front. I didn't want to replace the original upholstery so I used a 8" futon mattress on top of it. With the long back cushions for the couch it supports the extra length of the futon. Works excellent and gives us a larger bed and extremely comfortable with no gaps to fall into. This is probably more than you wanted to know but hey I am new to these groups and I am learning a lot and have come up with a few ideas of my own.
Rickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Just received a copy of the 1976 Service manual which has specs for a number of models. They show the 27ft. double with the following specs:

27 ft. double: (line drawing viewed from above)
1. The area for the double bed itself in this model is 76" long. The bed is on the street side of the trailer, same as the door. There is a parts break-down, but no dimensions are listed for individual parts and I'm sure they are showing pics of a 76 model, Int'l Rear bath unit.

2. The area across from the double bed has two units:
A. The most rearward unit is 40-1/2" long and is is called a "wardrobe".
B. The most forward of the two is 35-1/2" long and is called a "vanity".
C. Each unit has doors which open out into the aisle.

3. There is a light referred to as "vanity light" above the vanity.
4. The book doesn't mention the bed itself, what type, etc. In general, we've had pretty poor sleeping on futons. Very uneven. (IMHO)

I don't have the capability of posting a pic just yet, but could copy a page and mail it if you like. They have break-downs of various units in this book also.

Hope this helps some.
fritzs@usfamily.net
fritzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:30 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Modifications of beds

Richard Jalbert
106 D Valley Stream Drive
Ottawa, Onatario, Canada
K2H 9E1

The futons I am referring to are 8" thick so we find no creases at all ours are quite comfortable. I liked the idea as well to be able to fold it up and use it as a couch. The two singles now my son sleeps in one and the other one gets stuff piled on it we rarely ever use it. I would be extremely interested in seing those plans that you are describing. Thanks for the response.
Rickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Fritz 76 diagram

That would be great! I'm sure I will have to modify the doorways on both sides of the bedroom to do this. I have no problem losing the greenish gold accordian door - all this 69/70 green gold is starting to wear on me! LOL Being about 12 to 14 yrs old when it was truly in style, it reminds me of my mother's house at that time! She always has loved green. :-) can anyone tell me if I need to leave the 'doorway' framing that holds it? It spans right in front of the axels. Seems to me it may also provide structural stuff. Real technical huh?

if you can email it, send it to rochsmama at aol com

or

Tina Helms
135 Mathis Lake Rd
Thomaston, GA 30286
and I can pick it up at my brother's. Right now I'm hanging out in a field with no address and totally loving it!!! Life couldn't be better.
My son who is almost 26 couldn't cope with my 8 track player so he gave me a CD player for Christmas and installed it. He was fascinated with the styrofoam in the speakers! His passion in high school/college was installing car stereos. That was before he married.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Fritz 76 diagram

Quote:
Originally posted by rochsmama
can anyone tell me if I need to leave the 'doorway' framing that holds it? It spans right in front of the axels. Seems to me it may also provide structural stuff. Real technical huh?
All of the interior furnishings in an Airstream are non-structural. Things can be moved, modified, or removed at will.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Talking fritzs

got your mail today - thanks so much! It definitely gives me some ideas.