Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
brighton , Ontario
condensation

Our first winter in our 25' Safari--we are in south Texas the weather has turned cold--heater on & our interior windows are full of condensation--we are continuosly wipeing them off-----any suggestions
linmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
air flow

I think I'd try cracking open one of the overhead vents....fan on low to get the air circulating. I know the Valley humidity well...it can be miserable.....better than ice and snow.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Welcome to Texas - where the weather can be hot and cold all in the same day! We always leave either the shower/bath vent open, and if that does not do it, open the Fantastic Fan just a little. In addition, while cooking you may even have to open a window just a bit. The idea is to provide humid air an escape route.
28totow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You've noticed how it's hard to prevent condensation on the inner skin when you're boiling water (eg, for pasta) in cooler weather. Dontcha just love that the smoke detector is so close to the stove?

Condensation is worse in the morning if you've buttoned up tight. Ditto to opening a roof vent an inch or so. I also unlatch one of the windows at the other end of the trailer -- just let it hang. Enough air will circulate. You have to manually open a roof vent (eg, Fantastic Fan) to have it be only an inch or so open. This overrides the automatic close if rain starts. So this works if there's no chance of rain or if any raindrops would wake you. I like to wake up just for that nice sound! I imagine living on a tropical beach with the drops on my tin roof and gentle sounds of surf...

If it's raining and cool enough for condensation inside, I'll just unlatch a few windows and let them hang. In some situations open the handle but don't turn the latch -- the latch tongue will keep the window from flying if it's going to be windy conditions.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by linmar View Post
Our first winter in our 25' Safari--we are in south Texas the weather has turned cold--heater on & our interior windows are full of condensation--we are continuosly wipeing them off-----any suggestions
The furnace does not remove water, but the AC does.

During those strange days of weather, you can run the AC to remove the moisture, as well as run the furnace at the same time, to keep the temperature comfortable.

The furnace has many more BTU's than the AC, which limits the cold air.

Opening a window, I think, would just let in more moisture.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I agree with Andy.

Every time we open a window or vent a crack, it just let's in cold air without the desired drying effect and wastes propane running the furnace more often. I go around with a towel and wipe down surfaces when I think about it.

J
Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
One person, three, or five sleeping exhale a lot of moisture inside. Mornings below 60 degrees will see dew on the grass outside. All the exhalation moisture can yield a much higher humidity buildup inside the trailer than outside. C'mon -- the insulation isn't great to begin with. The ribs conduct cool to the inside very well (see boiling pasta comment -- you can see the pattern on the interior SE bare skins). Higher humidity inside plus cool skins equals a condensation surface.

Yes, air conditioning naturally dehumidifies. But we're talking about shoulder season camping with early AM cool temps from 35-55 degrees. Who has more experience hee-yar folks?

Leave the upper vent open a bit and windows cracked a bit -- if nobody is sleeping inside you'll never see any condensation on the inner shell or windows. When people are sleeping inside, if you let some of that respiration moisture escape and humidity equalize -- voila! No condensation like the excesses linmar has been seeing. Been there. More than done that.

This works whether you camp in the north in April or October. Texas in February. Or the mountains any time.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
BTW - I do bring warm bedding, old sleeping bags, etc. Anything to avoid sleeping under those 20 pound OEM Airstream bedspreads.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
That didn't just count for one more post....

(Saturday night -- can't we all just have a little more fun if sitting in front of the computer is our fate?")

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 03-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Olympia , Washington
We have a dehumidifier that works well. Two adults and 2 dogs generate a lot of moisture. Running the stove vent and sometime the bathroom vent along with the dehumidifier will drop the humidity to 45% (on cold, rainy days). No boondocking in the winter here!
karanmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
What type, size and brand dehumifier?
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Bellevue , Washington
We found the place for waking up to the sounds of surf and the pinging of rain on the skin of Spud and it is NOT tropical. We camped at Crescent Beach west of Port Angeles, WA over Thanksgiving. And we awoke to that very pleasant sound CanoeStream speaks of...
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Small cell bubble wrap worked behind the screens in our 63.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Bonney Lake , Washington
When we are not boondocking, we use a dehumidifier (SoleusAir Dehumidifier). This unit has worked well and is pretty quiet. We use this unit while parked at home to keep moister levels in check. In general, wood will collect moister at or below about 55 degrees and start to swell. If you have tight dolerances on your cabinet doors or other woodwork you know what I mean.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
...you can run the AC to remove the moisture, as well as run the furnace at the same time, to keep the temperature comfortable.
This is exactly what a dehumidifier does, except rather than dump the heat outside like the air-conditioner does, it uses it to reheat the air it chilled down to remove the moisture.

In warmer weather, a vehicle windshield defroster may also turn on the cars air-conditioner to remove moisture from the air before heating it back up and blowing it on the windshield.

Breathing, cooking, and showering generate a tremendous amount of moisture. Venting is necessary to let it escape, not to mention replace the carbon dioxide you're generating with fresh oxygen.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Olympia , Washington
We also use the Soleus dehumidifier. It kept things nice and dry during the recent snowy, wet weekend camping trip in Port Townsend. I believe that I ordered it from Amazon.
karanmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

I think the furnace dries my camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The furnace does not remove water, but the AC does.

During those strange days of weather, you can run the AC to remove the moisture, as well as run the furnace at the same time, to keep the temperature comfortable.

The furnace has many more BTU's than the AC, which limits the cold air.

Opening a window, I think, would just let in more moisture.

Andy
Warm air will hold more moisture than cold air. So with the furnace running and a roof vent cracked, Won't the warm air collect the moisture and exhale it thru the roof vent? I maybe fooling myself but it sure feels dryer with the furnace on.
In the wintertime in my neck of the woods, I would have thoughts of shooting the AC unit before I had thoughts of turning in on.
Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
We live in GA and have high humidity, as well. We leave a vent open a small amount, always. In warm weather, even with the A/C on, it is usually the bathroom vent. In cold weather, it is normally the back vent (with a Maxxair cover). If the outside temperature is lower than the inside temperature, the air will remove moisture. Using a small heater will also help.

I'm sure using a de-humidifier or the A/C will dry the trailer, but we prefer to use as little as possible. After all, we are camping.

One other thought. In GA you WILL get condensation in a stored camper. If it is warm or damp when you store the camper, colder nights will cause condensation. You need to think about water leaking into the camper from rain. Remember, THEY ALL LEAK! We keep the vent open in storage as well.

Finally, think about the building products that are used in a camper. These include wood with glues, fabrics, and plastics. Ever notice a film on the inside of your car windows? All these products give off gas. In low concentrations this gas is not a problem. Let it build up and it can be unhealthy. In the extreme, you can have significant issues.

My thoughts.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
We use the exact same dehumidifier. It has been very reiable and quiet. I just leave it in the center of the trailer SoleusAir Dehumidifier
and it works perfectly. There is no condensation on the windows an i know my new cabinent doors are not splitting apart from the moisture. It amazing how full the water bucket is in the morning after two adults, one child and dog inhabit the space.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

We bought a bunch of those silver bubble car windscreen sun protectors from WalMart, and cut them to shape to push accurately into each window recess. That cures our condensation on the windows, and makes the trailer much more comfortable, as well as economical.
Nick.