Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
certainly cheaper than a running gear job! Are you saying it's probably the potholes in the road??
Maybe it's time we stop trying to place the blame on someone or something else. Come on folks let's stand up and take it like men and women, like grown people, like adults. We should be ashamed of ourselves trying to put the blame off on running gears and pot holes and earth tremors and who knows what else. Why do the coat hangars fall off? Because we are using the cheap hangars with the cardboard bottoms we get free from the cleaners!
Admit it and let's go on.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, at first I was going to include the running gear in my orig post, but the orig poster didn't post what kind of trailer/moho he/she had, thinking this was mainly an older coach issue since I'm much more familar with new(er) coaches, not even considering this could happen to a newer coach right off the line.

My take is that if your running gear is out of spec, the least of the issues is going to be the hangers falling off. From what I've read around here, running gear that is out of wack will cause much greater problems if left unchecked, popped rivets, loose furnishings, etc.

One way I would check is to put some items on the table and/or counter and tow on as smooth and as flat of a surface you can. If the stuff falls off the table (provided you didn't go pothole diving) you may need running gear adjusted. Most Airstreamers will say in in shock that "OMG, I forgot my cup of Joe on the table", pull over at the first conv and be happy to find the cup still in the exact place it was before departure without any spills, issues, etc. I myself have found, more than one time, things I left on the table or counter that were just where I left them, hundreds of miles later.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Ya......but.....

I don't think that would be a valid test becuz the dinette is over the axles and the clothes are hanging (with good plastic hangers on that ribbed vacuum cleaner hose stuff) in the very back of the coach where bounce would be the worst!
I agree with Twink that running gear shouldn't be a problem right off the line....and that the lake-sized potholes we have in Oregon are probably to blame.
When someone tells me it's my running gear and it's new.......I get all upset!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
It's camping. The cothes won't stay on the hangers because they are on vacation.

If they want to lay around on the floor, let them.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
I don't think that would be a valid test becuz the dinette is over the axles and the clothes are hanging (with good plastic hangers on that ribbed vacuum cleaner hose stuff) in the very back of the coach where bounce would be the worst!
I agree with Twink that running gear shouldn't be a problem right off the line....and that the lake-sized potholes we have in Oregon are probably to blame.
See on my 04' Safari, my dinette is front of the axles as I believe is the same on the 28' units. I have left things on it and they've been fine. Given that your unit is new and you most likely have the same ribbed rod that the hangers hang on and they still fall off would be a mystery to me.

I have also left stuff on the kitchen counter (also font of the axle) and on the rear sink (rear of the axle) by accident and much to my delight only once did I find I had an item fall off the countertop.

My closets (one on each side) are directly over the axles on my coach and still (knock on aluminum), I haven't had issues (yet).

I would have to agree if you're new coach is giving you grief, I'd see what it would take to have the running gear set to spec. If you hit potholes as I've read, it would stand to reason how they got out of spec. One thing I've been toying with is getting these:

http://www.centramatic.com/

Folks that have used these tend to swear by them....and if you got them and the issue went away............
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:40 AM   #26
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Not to upset you further, but unbalanced running gear ( essentially brake hubs on drum brakes plus wheel assembly) are definitely an issue, even on new trailers. I, too, doubt that your clothes would come off the hangers because of it, but it might still be worth it for you to look into getting your brake drums and wheels balanced as a unit. There are plenty of posts on this subject already, so I do not want to delve into it further.
I had it done on my former trailer with new axles and brakes, and the difference was amazing.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #27
_

. , .
perhaps we can get the factory to finance a study!

first it's hangers jumpin off the rods,
now there is talk of clothes jumpin off the hangers
pretty soon there will be reports of clothes jumpin out the windows!

we need a study....
so i volunteer to ride in the closet of anyone with jumpin hangers....
i'll carry a vibration measurin' gizmo and a hanger jumpin' refractometer, pencil and paper and document what goes on in the closets....

it may not be pretty....but we will get to the bottom of this.

is it the pants or the shirts?
dresses or belts?
cotton or polyester?
do wrinkles or perm press matter?

have you been walbernizin' your hangers regularly?

i'm pretty sure using a hensley eliminates all hanger sway......

the hangers jumpin could be an early warning system...
like a canary in the mines....
and would seem to happen way before cups spillin, rivets poppin and rear ends saggin (on the trailer)....
so we need to get right on this....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'll chip in $10 just to see 2air' go for a ride in the closet!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
2air

In some circles, clothes falling off a hanger, is a warning of a Tsunami or an earthquake below 5.0

If the hanger falls with the clothes, then the earthquake is a definite 5.0 plus.

If two or more hangers with clothes falls off, then you need to have the shell checked by an authorized dealer, for shrinkage, because you were going way too fast.

It's the expansion and contraction of the shell, associated with speed, that spits the hanger off the rod.

Happens every time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
If two or more hangers with clothes falls off, then you need to have the shell checked by an authorized dealer, It's the expansion and contraction of the shell, associated with speed, that spits the hanger off the rod.

Happens every time.

Andy
andy you are killin' me....i'm laughing so hard, i may have just broked by running gear......

i'll be in soon for a full check up....soon very soon....you'll be gentle?

markdoane....i'll take that 10 spot....in beer.

now come'on guys this hanger stuff is serious....my suits are listening.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #31
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Talking Be careful who you let in your closet

I think I've found the culprit in my Airstream. Faye was going through my airstream at a recent rally trailer open house, and look what happened!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nowirehangers.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	18628  
Old 02-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
tin sista

YIKES.................

Please watch Faye carefully.

If she got in your tow vehicle, she could make all 9 spark plugs fall out of the automatic transmission.

Rumor has it, however, that if the running gear was properly balanced, that Faye would have to resort to overcharging the batteries, since she would install a positive power factor in the tow vehicle, which in turn makes the gasoline tank overflow every time you ran the engine.

Gasoline companies would have a fit if they had any idea that Faye was resorting to such high handed tactics, that even our Democrats had a problem misunderstanding, as well.

However, we understand that our Kallyfornia governor is trying to get Faye to run our public utilities, where we could sell all of our excess energy, to other states, since she created, her mysterious "POSITIVE" power factor consuming systems.

Our power lines are absolutely "smoking" since we have been putting more electricity back into the power grids, than we are consuming.

Furthermore, we hear someone is trying to modify "FAYES" system, and make it apply to money.

WOW, just think of it's effect. The more money you spend, the bigger your bank account gets.

Bank of America, how in the world are you going to handle this problem?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
We have these in the closet. They were there when we bought it. They are great, even the empty hangers do not fall off.
I was reading the forums looking for things that would work for me, when I found this. It pays to be a packrat! I had a whole box of these in my basement, they were in my house when I bought it! Also along the packrat line I found two "new" plastic flamingos still in the package from a charity event several years ago!
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Hangers

I'll go with Dwight on this one- I turned my hangers around-Problem solved. I read this correction here or another site. hangers or clothes jumping off the rod happened day one on our new in 2004 trailer. Being new to trailering I just thougt it normal but annoying. We've been about 20,000-25000 miles towing without abnormal tire wear . Darrell
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:17 AM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
In going to new tires, Centramatic balancers and carefully balanced wheel/tires prior to installation plus new shocks, one of the things I noticed was that the clothes hangers no longer came off the bathroom closet rods. Plus, items forgotten a couple of times hadn't moved or spilled. I took that as a sign that the time and effort was worth it. The cat seemed less stressed, too.

The first trip out we found a half-full cup of tea still sitting on a rimmed-shelf in the bedroom after 500 miles.

A nice change for a leaf-suspension, tandem axle trailer. I'd have thought that an A/S with independent suspension was "immune" to this.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
The backward hanger thing works, even with the cheapo hangers from the cleaners.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
We have these in the closet. They were there when we bought it. They are great, even the empty hangers do not fall off.
See - that's the problem! Empty hangers.

If you simply stuff so many @#$#% pieces of clothing into the wardrobe for a 2 day camping trip to outfit an army, then they're secure! In fact, they don't even require a rod to stay up in the first place!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I got lucky.....my old Airstream came with the original hangers that have a different kind of mechanism that holds them to the rod. They snap off of the rod easily and hang back up easily. Nothing has ever fallen off.

Lots of things fell out of cabinets etc....until I got the new axle. No more problems after that.