Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Cleaning/Waxing Aluminum Interior

I've seen lots of discussion about washing and waxing the aluminum exterior of our treasures. But what about all that tender aluminum _inside_ of Intl CCD's and SE's?

As I while away the winter and look for excuses to spend time in my Toasty, I've decided that indoor smudge elimination would be a good ongoing excuse for some pleasant evenings of beer in the TT.

But what to use? The carwash-mild-soapy-bucket recommended for the outside seems WAAAAAYYY to messy inside the coach. And my default indoor cleaner, Windex, contains the dread ammonia. I'm similarly paranoid about other spray cleaners, most of which contain ammonia and/or petroleum distillates. So, any ideas?

Also, once clean, is there any sane reason to wax the interior, or is this idea just born of an irrational desire to caress my aluminum with carnuba?

jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
_

. , .
jon

the less you touch the interior skin the better....since it's virtually impossible to avoid abrasions of some sort......

any wax applied will then need buffing and will still slowly evaporate leaving that familar haze on every window and shinny surface...... we all have 'seen' this on the inside of newer automobiles.

if i were to try any product after washing......it would be a detailer spray like mothers or megs or eagle. applied ever so gently with a really clean microfiber sponge or cloth. this has some antistatic properties so it might reduce dust cling a little..... next up the chain would be the light spray wax that megs also sells.

even then you will likely risk scratches. and remember there is a lot of aluminum shags, burs, dust and bits inside. so you risk dragging these across the finish every time you wipe it down....

simple cleaning with very dilute detergent product on a multi folded thick microfiber, is all i'm willing to try....per the warning label....stuck on at the factory.....

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream winterset 2005 020.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	17881  
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I somewhat disagree. Although I admit I am a bit excessive, I have used the exact same Walbernize super seal on the interior alum skins. I admit that my non CCD/SE unit only has exposed alum interior skin in a few places, but it shines it up real good!

Of course if you spill pop on the skin, I would not clean the skin with anything but warm water and maybe some Armor All Car Wash cleaner, rinsing completely (which I happen to use about 3 times a year on the outside).

I believe it is the exact same alum on the inside as is found on the outside. I never saw varying levels of alum skin at the factory when I was there. They seemed to pull it all out of the same pile....so what's good for the goose as they say in my book is good for the gander.....and I've been doing it for 2 years now and am very pleased with the results on the interior exposed skin. The superseal also takes out very small scuffs and such, not that I've had any on the inside, but a few on the outside.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Jon.

Last spring I completely cleaned/polished the interior of our 19' ccd. I did it exactly like I did the exterior. There was a dull film on the interior surfaces since I bought the trailer, and using the Walbernize took care of that, and made it even more blinding-ly beautiful inside.

I agree with twink, I would not use anything except H2O for pop, wayward food. I think the panels inside the AS have a plastic kote, but I wouldn't use any type of cleaner beside the Walbernize. It is also pretty much odorless as well. The only problem I had was small white fibers that came off my polishing towel and got stuck under some of the rivits.

I'll probably do this just once a season, since it does take time to do it right.

Jonathan
Old 01-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
2Air.

That label has been the bane of my existence!!! Mistakenly, I first tried to peel that thing off, only to leave an ugly paper and glue-y mess on the wall of my coach. I'm afraid to use anything like Tri-clor or alchohol. So there it has stayed.

One day though..

Jonathan
Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Take a sponge (clean) and soak it in warm water. Hold it on the sticker so that it get saturated with water. You'll have to do this several time to get it, but eventually you'll get it all off.....then walbernize.

I'm about half way right now only because I got sick of waiting around and I ran out of beer and now it's cold out.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
_

. , .
crazy lev

after photos of all the labels i removed them with soap/water sponge left on contact for a few minutes.

removed the adhesive residue with the same product used at the factory for adhesive removal.........picture below.

can on the far left spartan sd-20. basically an alcohol based solvent that is safe to breath and safe on clearcoat.

i DO commend you and twink for remaining loyal to the walbernize products since even the factory doesn't recommend them for new trailers anymore.

but i'd be very careful about sniffing that pink stuff.....since it's mostly petrol distillates. and the msds isn't available anywhere, so don't drink it!

it's a cleaner, polish, scratch filler, wax, sealant.....it does it all!!! and it works on everything.....according to the astec corporation.....

walbernize isn't safe for indoor usage and find anyone at the home office who will say it is.......and what if you slop a little on the fabrics?

and as anyone who takes pride in detailing their cars will tell you......
the best results come from using a doitall product.....but i digress......
i've got some waterless car wash to sell......

i used some of my free bottle of walb on a 2x2 area....i didn't like the smell or anything about the walbernize except the slickness when removed. i also did 2x2 areas with 3 other enthusiast car waxes.......then i washed the areas and watched them for about 6 weeks.....this was on a new trailer. hands down the walb performed the worst for me, showing scratches the soonest and failing wax like properties the quickest.....

it does however have enough solvent base to remove road tar pretty well.

anyway, my initial point to jon was anything you do can/will result in abrasions so be careful, start with the mildest products. the surface is already pretty shinny so don't screw it up if the interior already looks good as it is.

of course we all know tim allen never over did anything right?

i'll duck now and make room for the walbernize followers.......it's a cult right?

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	factory products.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	17889  
Old 01-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What does the factory recommend now besides Walbernize? I had no idea they had dropped that or that it fell from grace? I see they still have it on the Airstream website.

I had no idea that Walbernize Super Seal contained petrol distillates.

Always do the interior with the vents running and the windows open.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
_

. , .
twink.....

i like that new image with the creamy filling....is that a bandana or a diaper?

according the owners manual...... airstream recommends any quality automotive wax. walb isn't mentioned....

i do realize the older product has more plasticizer in it for older plasticoat finishes, while the newer product isn't supposed to have this....

well the label on the walb says it's combustible and to keep it away from heat, sparks or open flames......

mine as been sitting for several months and settled....about 50% is a clear pink liquid topside that smells a lot light ronson's lighter fluid.....again it does bother me that i cannot find a msds anywhere.

cheers
2air'
Old 01-24-2006, 07:53 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thumbs up

Well guys,

I'm having a ball following this discussion; jovial and cordial disagreement is a lovely thing to witness. And just like an in-the-flesh conversation, closure is a hard thing to come by.

So I'll draw a few conclusions and see if they're broad enough to satisfy...

1) When cleaning, be VERY careful of abrasions; use only microfiber or other very soft and very clean cloths, light pressure.

2) Avoid solvent-type cleaners except for spot cleaning; avoid cleaners containing ammonia. Dilute mild detergents or plain water are acceptable.

3) Members of the cult of Walbernize have reported excellent interior results. Non-members are unsure of either the safety or reliability of this product used indoors. Since I've inhaled my entire weight in volatile organics over the years, I may just leave the barn door open and the horse out in the yard and join the cult myself.

4) Too late for me on the label-removal front. I took it off with white gas. Came off real easy, looks just fine. Having read this and other threads, however, I'll NOT be using this method again.

THANKS to all!
jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Talking Label Removal

Virtually every label and associated adhesives will come off with one of two things. Olive oil or WD-40.

First try olive oil or any light vegetable oil... schmear on and leave for two or three minutes, then ruin one fingernail gently pushing the residue off. Wipe with a soft paper towel or tissue and wash with mild soap or detergent solution

If that isn't fast enough for you, use WD-40. Honest to pete, this will take chewing gum out of hair and band-aids off of hairy legs! Spray on a modest quantity, wait a minute, peel & wipe off working in from the edges. Again wipe up the excess with tissue or a paper towel and wash with mild soap or detergent solution.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #12
_

. , .
hi toasty, paula and others

gotta agree olive oil and wd are always on board. what one can't do the other will.......reminds me of the time i fried an egg in wd 40....it worked well and my roommate never knew the difference!

cheer
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fried brain.gif
Views:	137
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	17901  
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
twink.....

i like that new image with the creamy filling....is that a bandana or a diaper?
I'm a short guy, so although it's a bandana, it does look like and could be used as a diaper too.....since I'm not getting any younger. Maybe it's because of the stuff in Walbernize.....maybe I have a case.....then I could get a big box rig and not need Walbernize anymore....but I digress......

I'm a multitasker....whadda want from me.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Two things: instructions are explicit on rubbing alum finish "with the grain" and we have been using windex's all-surface spray cleaner and soft cloth on our interior with great results. Love how easily it polishes, how great it looks. Haven't applied any waxes on interior yet. Walbernize is the easiest finish I've ever used on any outside, except someone once gave some detailers polish for an old BMW we had ('75 2002) that was a lot like Walbernize.
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not sure I'd use Windex anything on any part of the alum skins, but if it works for you......
Old 01-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #16
_

. , .
hi silvertwinkie, dreamstreamr and others.

this isn't the basic ammonia based windex, but a product from the household cleaning line.......

and at least there is a product msds sheet so you can be informed about what is being inhaled or absorbed via skin. i have used it for the corian, sink, fixtures and so on.....but only with the windows open.....

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=19001182

like most products in this category, it's mostly water and isopropyl alcohol....the secret ingredient is ethylene gylcol....which isn't good for the brain or some other vital organs.....
it's probably this one........

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts118.html

but again at least one can read about it.

find me a walbernize ingredient list.......someone, anyone, buehler.......buehler.....

cheers
2air'
Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Haven't personally tried it ...

but how about 10pts water to 1 pt vinegar - I use this at home to clean glass, counters, wood floors, etc. I used it on stainless steel and it shines it up nicely.
???
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not sure on the water an vin thing, but if you're cleaning the interior alum skin, warm water should work fine.

In reality, there are few things in life that can't make you sick 2Air. I mean we drive behind cars that belch out exhaust as our cars suck it in and we breathe it, we use cell phones with radio waves next to our head, eat foods that we have no real idea where they came from, what they've been fed, that are put through a type or radiation to kill bacteria, drink colas and worse yet diet colas with artificial everything, drink water that we hope is not contaminated in any way and camp in RVs and drive vehicles that contain materials known to the State of California to cause Cancer. The ozone has deteriorated and skin cancer is everywhere and the sunscreens today that we put on that we think are safe, they'll say are not safe and actually may cause cancer....who knows.....everyday we see this is good for you, then a month later, nope, that can kill ya too. Big news flash....we die a very little bit every single day as we ride the wave to the big dirt nap.

In my book, though I wouldn't use Windex anything on my alum skins, it's toxicity is the least of my worries particularly living in an urban setting where there are ozone action days every other day during the summer.

Nobody gets off this rock alive 2Air, might as well be clean while we're here and NOT read government studies and reports, when in fact a fair number of things that make us sick are allowed by the government and/or not stopped or regulated until in some cases it's too late.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:24 PM   #19
_

. , .
Red face

hi twinks and 3ms75argosy

the 10/1 makes a .5 percent acetic acid solution and is very safe for people. i would ad 1-5 drops of dove or joy to an 16oz bottle....just drops. with will cut grease/oil soluable stuff while the water/vin get the water soluable stuff.
good for general cleaning (counters,floor, doors fridge, bath and so on.....

for a dirty enamel sink....first sprinkle baking soda, then spray, what the foam rise, then scour with non abrasive pad...

for glass add isopropyl to the water/vin solution amount about equal to the vinegar measure. this is a great window/glass/mirror cleaning spray that will leave no residue.

i agree twink the world is can be toxic in may ways....but controlling just a few isn't hard. when someone how just cleaned the oven getts a headache or a rash....know why can safe her from unneccesary treatment with more drugs.......when some one removing over spray with an automotive product gets confused; wobbly and blurred vision......knowing they need fresh air and better ventiationl....isn't hard if you have a clue to the products.

i haven't had a cell phone for 3 years now. and if i talk on one i filter it through a double cheeseburger.....to cancel each other out.....but i am closely related to howard hughes too

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gas mask for peace.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	18027  
Old 01-29-2006, 11:52 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Gotta admit, that one cracked a smile.

We all gotta do what we can....just make sure that dbl cheeseburger is flame broiled for best results.