Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

cleaning interior

It looks like we will be finishing up the plumbing and hopefully other things will go fairly well. If not, I guess for now we can use coolers and outside grills. But I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for cleaning the plastic and special coating .....also since we will not replace carpeting and cushions yet, how do you get the (smell) out????? I plan to clean well with a carpet cleaner, but i'm not sure if regualr cleaner will do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Debbie
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for cleaning the plastic and special coating
What year is your trailer? The materials vary from year to year...so the cleaning process may be different.

The only sure way to get rid of the smell is to replace the foam, upholstery & carpet and any 'bad wood' underneath.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
I agree with Shari, the more soft goods you can replace, the better the "trailer smell" will become. I would add this however, after replacing all foam, curtains, upholstery and flooring, we still had a slight odor. I purchased an ozone generator and used that in the trailer on a high setting for two days. It was amazing what a difference it made. The lingering odor disappeared and was replaced with a slight smell of bleach. An occasional touchup with ozone generator keeps the dreaded "trailer smell" from returning.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
whats an ozone generator
Old 06-23-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Check this web address, it will answer all your questions.
www.air-zone.com
Old 06-23-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I'm curious about this air cleaner. Not only does our trailer have an "old" smell, not bad, just something I notice, but I often find a stale smell coming upstairs from our large furnished walkout basement area. If you do not mind sharing the information, which size do you have? How do you use it, in the house and in the trailer? Thanks if you can tell a little more about it.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:03 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
ozone can be harmful

I have asthma and am very sensitive to ozone in any quantity, whether from vehicle smog or ozone generators. Ozone is damaging to the lungs in small quantities, and I for one would not have an ozone generator anywhere near me. Because there are many misleading claims about them, I would suggest you check out the info at the US EPA website before purchasing one.

www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

You'll have to cut and paste that as I forgot how to make it a link.

john
Old 06-24-2004, 07:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I have a 1974 overlander. I do plan to replace all soft goods as soon as possible, but with limited time and good vacation time looming, it may have to wait until fall, or next spring/summer. I am thinking of using my handy dandy carpet cleaner on all carpet and cushions, and adding a touch of bleach..... Any thoughts on this??? I know a little bleach on the curtains didn't bother the fabric, and aided cleaning as well as conquered that odor. The water odor problems are minimal as the only leaks were those due to breaks in water pipes. Those are being dealt with as well as wood which was saturated.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
My wife was leery of being too harsh on the factory curtains that came with ours. The cushions had the original fabric, too, which we had to jetison after we discovered gnawed areas underneath. She used Woolite on all of the fabrics and they turned out looking sparkling clean and smelling fresh.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

The curtains seem okay. I used woolite on some, then switched to regular detergent with no known problems....i'm hoping they hang well. I ironed and pleated today, but it is possible that there was some shrinkage. Maybe I will try taking the covers off to wash carefully. Those i am a little more leery of. We seem to be lucky so far with critters and such, but, while things have been gone over fairly well, I will find our more with the final cleaning. I order a new door seal which i hope continues to keep us "critter free".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
My wife was leery of being too harsh on the factory curtains that came with ours. The cushions had the original fabric, too, which we had to jetison after we discovered gnawed areas underneath. She used Woolite on all of the fabrics and they turned out looking sparkling clean and smelling fresh.

John
Old 06-24-2004, 07:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

outside is nice

I put the "soft goods" outside to air several times after we got our Trade Wind. We are very lucky because our rig doesn't have the musty smell, but I am always a proponent of sunshine and fresh air.

A couple of weeks ago, I read on one of the posts that replacing the screening helped with smells! Guess screens would catch lots of stuff that could generate a smell.

Connie
Old 06-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Maybe I will try taking the covers off to wash carefully. Those i am a little more leery of.
Check this out before you wash your upholstery...

Cushions & Fabric

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:23 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
The commercial type of ozone generators create lots of ozone for a short time, which reacts with the odors. Then are taken out and the house is aired. These kind of machines are used after fires, mold etc. You might want to try a corona discharge machine rather than and ozone machine. suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 07:56 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

What? A corona discharge machine? Does it come from Mexico and in a bottle? I guess a few of them would help. Sorry to be flip, but i don't know what you mean. Could you explain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
The commercial type of ozone generators create lots of ozone for a short time, which reacts with the odors. Then are taken out and the house is aired. These kind of machines are used after fires, mold etc. You might want to try a corona discharge machine rather than and ozone machine. suz
Old 06-25-2004, 07:58 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

I loved your pictures and decorating scheme. I am looking forward to getting to that point sometime. Thanks for your info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin
I put the "soft goods" outside to air several times after we got our Trade Wind. We are very lucky because our rig doesn't have the musty smell, but I am always a proponent of sunshine and fresh air.

A couple of weeks ago, I read on one of the posts that replacing the screening helped with smells! Guess screens would catch lots of stuff that could generate a smell.

Connie
Old 06-25-2004, 08:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Oops! I think I meant your pictures, which were great! I guess I will just use the rinse and vac on them, instead of trying the washer on delicate. At least then, I can hopefully use them as a pattern when sewing new covers. Thanks. That is something you can't undo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Check this out before you wash your upholstery...

Cushions & Fabric

Shari
Old 06-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Debbie the newest Gaiam Lifestyle magazine has an article on air and pp104 explains the difference among all the indoor air cleaners suz
Old 06-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Gaiam reference

Thanks, but i don't subscribe to that magazine. Is it available on line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Debbie the newest Gaiam Lifestyle magazine has an article on air and pp104 explains the difference among all the indoor air cleaners suz
Old 07-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Sorry I've been gone a couple of weeks. Maybe you could look up www.gaiam.com. silver suz