Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Ceiling Crack

I have a crack in the ceiling of our '69 Sovereign. It is about 5 inches long and curves from the doorway behind the kitchen toward the rear of the trailer and then down behind the overhead storage bin. I will try to attach photos. Anyway it has grown about 2 inches over the last couple of years and I need to stop it. I tried drilling a small hole at the end of the crack but it still progressed past that point. Looks like the upright has become detached from any support and it is punching further into the ceiling gap. Hope it doesn't punch through the outer skin too. Does it attach to a "rib" there(inside the ceiling)? Would a "patch" over the hole provide substancial strength? I have new axles, but I guess I need to find a place to get them all balanced up. Like Andy's. But don't know of any near here. Anyone else experienced this?
thanks, bill b.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
When th center partition is pushing through the ceiling it is an indicator of rear frame seperation or frame sag. I have the same problem with my 69 ambassador.
If you look under the trailer from the rear you will probably see light ripples in the edge of the plates the axles bolt to indicating the frame is slightly bent over the axles.
There was a fix which included reinforcing plates that go over the axles. At one time I think they were available from Inland RV.

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Arrrrrrgh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
When th center partition is pushing through the ceiling it is an indicator of rear frame seperation or frame sag. I have the same problem with my 69 ambassador.
If you look under the trailer from the rear you will probably see light ripples in the edge of the plates the axles bolt to indicating the frame is slightly bent over the axles.
There was a fix which included reinforcing plates that go over the axles. At one time I think they were available from Inland RV.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Was afraid it would be something like that. I have noticed the growing crack between the frame and the body in the rear. Didn't realize it would work its way through the whole shell. Rats, Darn, Phooey. Ah well, 'tis another project for this winter.
thanks for the info, bill b.