Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
Carpet removal

hi all

i'm a newbie and need some information.
we have a 1994 34' classic. we are considering new flooring in the bath.
before i proceed i would like to know:

1. is the carpet glued or stapled down ?

2. what is the purpose of the angled section of the bathroom vanity next to toilet for ? why is it carpeted ?

any help is appreciated

mark
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I just took the carpet out of my '86 & it was stapled in the bathroom. The rest of it was installed with the tack strips around the parimeter. I guess they stapled the bathroom because it was small & hard to put the tack strips around. It came up pretty easily, but I had to pull all the staples with a pliers. Either way, it's not a big deal. Can't help you with the angled section.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
why is it carpeted
They did that to prevent shoe marks on the plastic. In such a small area you tend to hit the plastic with the tip of your shoe. Mine has no carpet and when we got it it had black scuff marks.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Hi Mark!

Generally, A/S did not glue carpet down.

In the older units (we had a 74 & now a 75 22' argy) tack strip was used.

In the 90's units, (we had a 94 MH & now a 96 34' limited front kitchen as well) the carpet was laid before the built-in furniture was installed. We removed the carpet on the 94 unit in favor of cork & wound up cutting away the carpet with a knife if we couldn't dislodge it from under the "furniture."

In the bathroom, as well as other areas where the carpet did not go under the furniture, the factory used staples. This was a bit of a pain as some of the staples remained in the plywood underfloor & had to be pulled with pliers.

This area that you describe in the bathroom is wood underneath. If you look, the water heater (or wheel well) is probably in this area outboard of the toilet. The factory just carpets it cause it's easy.

Here's an "after" picture of the toilet area. We resurfaced the wood with Treadmaster SP (a marine product). It was installed with a waterproof contact adhesive. Aluminum L trim dressed the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0752_edited-1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	42453  
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #5

1994 30' Excella
GARLAND , Texas
Hi and good luck on your project.

We have a '94 30 foot and even though ours is a little different configuration (with the shower on the opposite side of the isle) I believe, in part 2 of your question, you are referring to the carpeted, step-type (at least in ours) affair, below the vanity, between it and the floor.

This past winter, we laid laminate flooring from the front gaucho, through the kitchen, and on into the bath. For fear of potential water damage, we seperated the bath flooring from the kitchen area with a threshold, so that we could easily replace the flooring, in the event of a bad leak.

When we got to the "step" area referred to above, we were tempted to leave it alone as it was very much "out of square". The carpet on it was heavliy stapled and took a bit of time to get off. After we got all the carpet off, and took out the plywood underneath, we found that it was covering various lengths of plumbing (drain pipes, etc.). We ended up using left-over scraps of the laminate & rebuilding the section altogether.

Hope this helps you a little in your quest.
happyfella is offline   Reply With Quote