Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Carbon Monoxide detector

2018 Flying Cloud in storage indoors on our property with a battery maintainer on the batteries.
CO detector is chirping every 40 seconds or so. I understand this to be a low voltage alarm (somewheres below 12 Volts).
When pushing the test button 5 louder chips occur in just a second or two.
I have plugged the Flying Cloud into shore power (120AC) waited a couple hours and the 40 second spaced chirping continues.
Any thoughts on what the problem may be?
montgomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomg View Post
2018 Flying Cloud in storage indoors on our property with a battery maintainer on the batteries.
CO detector is chirping every 40 seconds or so. I understand this to be a low voltage alarm (somewheres below 12 Volts).
I have plugged the Flying Cloud into shore power (120AC) waited a couple hours and the 40 second spaced chirping continues.
Many hard wired CO detectors also have a backup 9 volt battery inside the unit.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
I just had to replace the 9v batteries on our 2018 Flying Cloud's smoke detector and CO detector. Both started chirping the same day.

The propane detector is hard wired, and I put a switch in it's circuit after it wouldn't shut off. The detector was replaced under warranty in JC, but I keep the new one switched so I can readily shut it off if it starts behaving like the original one. The switch is inside the cabinet next to the detector so there is no fear of shutting it off unknowingly and being unprotected.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Thanks for the replies. I had not considered a battery backup but it makes sense.
The manuals and docs which came with the airstream (we bought it new) made no mention of battery backup. Pretty standard!!
montgomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Your trailer does not have a 12v CO alarm. It is 9v only. The chirping is letting you know the battery requires replacement.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Your trailer does not have a 12v CO alarm. It is 9v only. The chirping is letting you know the battery requires replacement.

One thing not real obvious is which way the new battery goes in the CO detector and in the smoke detector. It's not marked + and - , but one of the terminal receptacles is square and one is round. The larger of the battery terminals fits in the square hole, the little round one in the round hole.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I had not considered a battery backup but it makes sense.
The manuals and docs which came with the airstream (we bought it new) made no mention of battery backup. Pretty standard!!

I would venture a guess that somewhere in all the material you got with the trailer is a little tiny sheet from the CO detector that tells you it needs a 9 volt battery. Most likely a 3 by 6 inch tri-folded sheet of paper or something like that...you know the ones you get in your smoke detector and CO detector from big box stores for your house and throw away (at least I do). I know Airstream gave me every single little bit of paper from the vendor sourced equipment. But it is fun to blame Airstream for everything I guess.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote