Old 07-14-2004, 07:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Talking Can non-smokers be happy in smoked-in trailer/towing vehicle

We're looking at a trailer and towing vehicle where owners were smokers. We are non-smokers with sensitivities to smoke, including asthma. Is there any hope we could clean them sufficiently to be able to use them happily? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
My advice- dont do it- we stripped the trailer bought from a smoker ,totally stripped it and it took 3 washings of TSP to get it off the bare aluminum walls! My guys' opinions- I wasn't allowed to go near the trailer until that point. It's not worth your health. You dont want to spend your vacations wheezing. Hard as it is to believe- there are other trailers out there. (We bought our trailer in Tenn!). When you do find a trailer ,ask on the forum if anyone is near enough to check it out for you. Good Luck, silver suz

Old 07-14-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Don't

Some years ago I bought a car from my stepson that had been smoked in. I bought only because he was in financial straits and about to lose it.

There was no amount of cleaning that would get rid of the smell,and it still stunk after we had owned it for a year. After a few minutes in the car, I would have a terrible headache to the point that my eyes would not focus well. My wife could tolerate it, so it became her car till it was paid off. Then we dumped it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thank you - another question about purchases

Thank you, Silver Suz and John. That's the kind of input we needed to help in our thinking.

Thanks for the suggestion, too, to call on forum members to help evaluate units. Is it common for people to travel long distances to look at units before buying, or to buy sight unseen? I assume if one buys sight unseen, one relies on feedback from someone who's able to see it personally, or perhaps on photos?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener
Thank you, Silver Suz and John. That's the kind of input we needed to help in our thinking.

Thanks for the suggestion, too, to call on forum members to help evaluate units. Is it common for people to travel long distances to look at units before buying, or to buy sight unseen? I assume if one buys sight unseen, one relies on feedback from someone who's able to see it personally, or perhaps on photos?
There is a thread here on the forum, titled "so you want to buy a trailer that is three states away?" . It lists volunteer Airstream inspectors, and the areas they cover. Usually they perform this service for no more than the cost of fuel and film. Yes, they can and do take photos, both on film and digitally.
It is also nice to have someone looking at them that is familiar with what to look for.
Good luck with your search!
Also, I concur with the rest of the advice given here, you can't get that burned tobacco smell out of a trailer without changing most cloth items, and a lot of scrubbingof what is left, and then you will still get wiffs of smoke.
Terry
Old 07-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

volunteer list

Thank you for the heads up on volunteer inspectors. Great idea! Haven't looked around too much yet on the forum, so will have fun exploring!
Old 07-20-2004, 12:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs down its true

My Grandma smokes
I lived with her during high school.
you can wash clothes and the smell comes out.
sometimes you can scrub walls and furniture and the smell goes away
lol I was joking with her the other day about how we send furniture to her house "to die" on account of grubby little kids, dog, cat, and smoke.
but its true. I've let her borrow my vehicles and tooks days to weeks of driving around with windows down to get the smoke out.
the smoke doesnt bother me but it used to make girls i was dating think i smoked
I used to have a friend that had access to an industrial strength detergent that a lot of hospitals use- forget what it was called but it could get the smoke out of a car after a couple of treatments.
after years of smoke, the walls of a house become stained with tar and whatnot. even bleeds through paint
so, to sum it up,
to hell with something thats smoked up
Old 07-20-2004, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
To tell the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener
We're looking at a trailer and towing vehicle where owners were smokers. We are non-smokers with sensitivities to smoke, including asthma. Is there any hope we could clean them sufficiently to be able to use them happily? Any and all suggestions appreciated.
It's not easy but..
If you're willing to put the efforts into cleaning it..It can be done~
The 64GT, that I bought had been smoked in..
Washed the walls down & then painted the entire interior~Threw away all of the curtains, mattress materials, ripped the carpeting out..Wipped down the wood works (both sides).
Even Silver Suez would be hard pressed to detect any sign of tobacco.
A car, on the other hand, is nearly impossible to rid of the oder..mainly, because most people never change out the interior.
just my .02
cioa
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I agree with 53FC.
A car has too many fabric type surfaces, often even the headliner, in which smoke and nicotin can hold on tight.
A trailer has comparable few such surfaces, only the beds and carpet.
The walls can be washed down, so can the furniture. Something I would do when buying a used trailer anyways. Do I really want to sleep on this old foam?? Not.
It all depends on the amount of smoking that was done inside. I smoke an occasional cigar inside our trailer, and no one has ever noticed. I run the exhaust fan and keep the windows open a bit.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I agree with 53FC.
smoke and nicotin can hold on tight.
I smoke an occasional cigar inside our trailer, and no one has ever noticed. I run the exhaust fan and keep the windows open a bit.
Is it that they do not notice or just do not want to say anything.

Rodger
Old 07-20-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Knowledge is Everything!

All odors can be eliminated very easy if you use the right stuff.
I've used OdoBan successfully eliminating odors in cars, trucks, campers, and in the house too. This stuff works great. You mix it up as strong as you want and then just spray it on and wipe it off. If you want to use it on fabric just spray it on and let it sit for a little while.

No Biggie!

Here is a link for it.

http://www.instawares.com/OdoBan-Odo...002-G4.0.7.htm

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger with a D
Is it that they do not notice or just do not want to say anything.

Rodger
If only you knew my family! They don't hold back much.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Smoky the Excella

Weee doggy! We just picked up our 77 Excella and we bought it knowing it had been smoked in excessively. And boy does it REEEEK! I have been through the entire 31' scrubbing down everything scrubbable. I dumped at least 15 buckets of nasty bucket water. Thought I was gaining control of the smell, but that was just while the smell of cleaner was fresh. Stepped in today (2 days later) and still gagged. We have plans to replace sofa and carpet (curtains and beds are already gone). I sure hope that helps. Would love any miracle suggestions.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Airstream500
Weee doggy! We just picked up our 77 Excella and we bought it knowing it had been smoked in excessively. And boy does it REEEEK! I have been through the entire 31' scrubbing down everything scrubbable. I dumped at least 15 buckets of nasty bucket water. Thought I was gaining control of the smell, but that was just while the smell of cleaner was fresh. Stepped in today (2 days later) and still gagged. We have plans to replace sofa and carpet (curtains and beds are already gone). I sure hope that helps. Would love any miracle suggestions.
OdoBan...................See my post 3 up from this one.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote