Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the only way that you will no longer smell smoke in a trailer is to let a cat piss in it.

That's such a romantic way of putting it, Robert...
Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Same theory, different problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the only way that you will no longer smell smoke in a trailer is to let a cat piss in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
That's such a romantic way of putting it, Robert...
Hi, It's true, and the way it works is the same as if you have a head ache that has been bothering you, and while building something, you accidentally smash your finger with the hammer. Now you have a very sore finger and you forgot about the less painful head ache.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:17 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hephzibah , Georgia
If there is anybody on here who has smelled the decay of a human body, they know its an odor that penetrates everything. When cleaners go into a house to clean it after a body have been discovered long after expiration, they have to go through the same measures you would need to do to remove the smell of tobacco smoke from the interior of an Airstream.

So you must ask yourself, do I really want to do all this work because I bought a stinky trailer?

People are entitled to their habits. What I don't get is why people who smoke do it in their houses, cars, and other pieces of expensive property. Not only is their habit degrading their health, its also degrading the value of the stuff they own.
nti06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
A good cleaning will probably do the job. You will have to replace all the soft goods in the trailer but new curtains and cushions are nice
We had a 72 that the PO's had smoked heavily in. It took three days to clean the trailer and over a month to get the soft goods replaced. After that, you couldn't tell the trailer had ever been smoked in.
TIP: yellowed light lenses can be soaked in a chlorine bleach solution for 24 hours to return them to a nice white look. This can sometimes cause the plastic to get brittle and break. I thinks it's worth the risk.
FYI - the last trailer we got had not been smoked in but the PO had let some fish spoil in the fridge. Even that nasty smell cleaned up!
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
You ask can you live with it. YES probably. Its gonna take alot of work. You will have to wash all the curtains,possibly lose the carpet,wash anything from the beds that is removable, depending on the saturation you may have to lose the matresses. Completely wash the interior. Then after that I wouldn't want to have to guarantee that you will not smell it.You will still smell smoke when the unit has been closed up tight on a very hot day.
I was a smoker of over 40 yrs,I cant stand the smell either.I quit ten yrs ago.Our TV has never been smoked in and never will be.Not sure of the trailer,but it doesnt smell after being shut up.
GOOD LUCK with your cleaning. If you havent purchased it yet,think about how much work this is gonna be and it may never be resolved.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
rodanthe , North Carolina
The RV Shocker WORKED! I had cleaned all the surfaces, dismantled cleaned fans etc yet the odor lingered especially when closed, right? This stuff sat in there for 6-7 hours(they say keep closed up to 24 if Really tough) and then it smelled bleachy when I opened. I aired it very slowly and by nightfall there was no bleachiness, just neutral air. I got mine through Amazon, the shipping was less than going direct to Biocide. It comes in a plastic cup w/lid, you set the paper packet in the cup, add 1/2 inch water and that's it. Let the fumes begin. Apparently has antimicrobial properties too. No need it looks like for follow up candles.
fridder13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Panama City Beach , Florida
Short answer: NO
Long answer: We purchased a house in Wyoming, we wondered why they had so many fans circulating, thought, well, they just like it that way and we didn't see or smell any signs of smokers.........we moved in.......found all kinds of charcoal bags hanging in all kinds of places........and we found ugly yellow splotches all of the place where their furniture sat in front of the wall......first UPS package received, DH opens the door, driver says, wow there is no billowing smoke coming out of the door when you opened it sir......THEN.......we got that smell that was getting worse and worse (we are both non-smokers)..........the smoke was embedded in the drywall, carpet, ceiling, baseboards and everything that was not exterior (oh, well, the granite countertops didn't smell, but the cabinets did)........it became more and more difficult over time to even stay inside the house.........bottom line, we had carpet cleaners in and they said it was all the way down into the subfloor (which was plywood) and cleaning would only cover the smell for a while but then come back......we had the entire house painted and sealed to block the smell.......painters said that the smoke penetrated through the insulation.....don't think you can paint insulation, LOL..........we did everything we could to fix it........nothing fixed it..........we sold that house 4 years later.
2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Cigarette smoke can't be any worse than dog crap. For the life of me I can't understand that.
Phantom98 is offline   Reply With Quote