Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Bunk bed ceiling hooks! ?

I've heard of the bunk bed cieling hooks. but haven't seen them or know where to get them. Anybody have some extras? Hope! Hope! THANKS Deb

PS. We redid the cabinet fronts. we used acrylic lighting panels for the insets so the light would shine out. When they are installed I'll take a picture.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Plano , Texas
I see you you are on the hunt for the elusive Airstream bunk bed/hammock. From my research on the topic I have found that there are two designs offered for during the vintage years; a metal framed, canvas slung design and a wood framed bottomed design, holding a mattress or sleeping bag. The mounting of circular ceiling bracket in this photo has been augmented by an metal plate. (I cannot confirm that is an original installation.) These plates are extremely rare, but you may luck out and find a set. (Most people do not know of their existance. If there was sufficient demand, we could cast several sets, but I don't know if we could raise enough interest.)

(I have a picture of the bracket for the former and the hinge and ceiling support for the latter. This picture also includes the wall bracket for the former design. At 149k, it is too large to post.)

Keith
Attached Images

Zed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:00 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

We have a 74 airstream that looks like it had the bunk, but we have all the trappings, but no bunk! If you hear of any extra bunks out there, let me know. Ours is above a gaucho, and fits behind the oven, so it must be undersized, or very low. I'm not sure. At any rate, we are interested in any info about it as it is an interesting feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerbanksdeb
I've heard of the bunk bed cieling hooks. but haven't seen them or know where to get them. Anybody have some extras? Hope! Hope! THANKS Deb

PS. We redid the cabinet fronts. we used acrylic lighting panels for the insets so the light would shine out. When they are installed I'll take a picture.
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Have bunk

To the two Debs - We have removed a bunk from our 67 Sovereign. Have wooden bunk frame, mattress, wall brackets, and one ceiling bracket. It is obvious that PO did not use the other ceiling bracket (it was removed to place air conditioner). We have not found the ceiling support rods either, even though hubby swears he saw PO demonstrate the bunk use with it. Unfortunately, both of you Debs are a ways from the center of the universe here. Any suggestions?

I also have a question for any of you out there. We have figured out that a piece of the double bed in Sovereign is missing (about a 15" wide section). Has anyone out there used a good futon mattress with any success? We are trying to come up with a system that automatically folds up instead of dealing with all the lengths of plywood, but easy to remove to get to the battery. Well????

Beth Ann
67 Sovereign, Double Bed, Rear Bath
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Could you possibly email pictures or post pictures of your bunk? If we ever get the trailer road ready (we are getting closer) maybe we could take a trip your way. We really have no great need for a bunk as most times it will be just my husband and myself, plus rover. The kids are grown and will not be traveling with us. I am mostly interested in knowing what it actually looked like in use/installed and how those pieces we still have in our trailer were used. It looks so undersized because of the oven taking up some of the wall space. So basically, I don't need it like a family might, so if anyone else can come by, or figure out another delivery route go for it. As to the futon route for the gauchos, I had been considering that myself, but will be waiting until next year. I am still undecided about how to do over the inside. There are a number of posts on it, and it apparently works well, and is comfortable sleeping. You will have to take our the plastic stops on your rails and put in some sort of support, as well as stuffing a plywood piece between mattress and cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
To the two Debs - We have removed a bunk from our 67 Sovereign. Have wooden bunk frame, mattress, wall brackets, and one ceiling bracket. It is obvious that PO did not use the other ceiling bracket (it was removed to place air conditioner). We have not found the ceiling support rods either, even though hubby swears he saw PO demonstrate the bunk use with it. Unfortunately, both of you Debs are a ways from the center of the universe here. Any suggestions?

I also have a question for any of you out there. We have figured out that a piece of the double bed in Sovereign is missing (about a 15" wide section). Has anyone out there used a good futon mattress with any success? We are trying to come up with a system that automatically folds up instead of dealing with all the lengths of plywood, but easy to remove to get to the battery. Well????

Beth Ann
67 Sovereign, Double Bed, Rear Bath
Old 08-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
No picture - sorry

Deb - The bunk was one of the first things removed from the trailer, so did not take a picture beforehand. PO told us that it they had always taken it off the brackets and laid it on the double bed underneath while traveling. Seemed a little strange to me, but it may have been because there was only one ceiling hook. In any case, we, like you, have kids that are grown and have no need of it and plan to put a shelf for pillows and blankets above the double. I will try to lay out the various pieces and take a picture to email to you. Right now it's in the barn and not going any place.

Beth Ann
67 Sovereign, Double Bed, Rear Bath (mint green no less!)
Old 08-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Thanks. I am very curious about the use of the brackets, length, etc. Right now I am not sure what to do with the brackets left in my trailer. I almost removed them the other day, but there are also rivets that need drilling out, so for now they remain. If you get the pictures, I would be interested in seeing them. I have not looked in the manual yet, ( my husband has it at work) to see what diagrams, etc are listed there.
Quote:
Deb - The bunk was one of the first things removed from the trailer, so did not take a picture beforehand. PO told us that it they had always taken it off the brackets and laid it on the double bed underneath while traveling. Seemed a little strange to me, but it may have been because there was only one ceiling hook. In any case, we, like you, have kids that are grown and have no need of it and plan to put a shelf for pillows and blankets above the double. I will try to lay out the various pieces and take a picture to email to you. Right now it's in the barn and not going any place.

Beth Ann
67 Sovereign, Double Bed, Rear Bath (mint green no less!)
Old 08-07-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
We have recently purchased a 71 Safari that has an aluminum bunk with a canvas sling. We also have round ceiling brackets but without the additional rectangular metal bracket surrounding it, we think this might be the original installation. We cannot find any chains that would be used to hang the bunk from the ceiling. There is nothing in the 71 manual covering the use of bunks. We could send a picture of the bracket and bunk if that would be helpful. Would also like to see a picture from anyone who actually uses the bunk, so we have an idea of what type of chain we need to hang our bunk.
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Oh yea! a bunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
We have recently purchased a 71 Safari that has an aluminum bunk with a canvas sling. We also have round ceiling brackets but without the additional rectangular metal bracket surrounding it, we think this might be the original installation. We cannot find any chains that would be used to hang the bunk from the ceiling. There is nothing in the 71 manual covering the use of bunks. We could send a picture of the bracket and bunk if that would be helpful. Would also like to see a picture from anyone who actually uses the bunk, so we have an idea of what type of chain we need to hang our bunk.
We have two little people who would love bunk beds (9) and(4). I was hoping to get a frame made from a local aluminum guy here on the banks and have a canvas/sling lashed to it. I'd love the cieling hook and the brackets. I'm not sure how they would work so I'd also appreciate a picture of your Safari set up to give me ideas.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Bunks yea! 2

Quote:
What is the mattress size and condition, could it be recovered? and Do you still have the cieling hook and wall brackets, not sure how to use them yet but I'm brewing up an idea!

THANKS
Old 08-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Two Debs - I am so confused!!!

To Outerbanksdeb - Yes the mattress is still in good shape and can be recovered. I have PM'd you with additional info.

I didn't know bunks were so popular.... both of us are a little to old to be crawling up into them. Seems to me as I saw a picture of a Sovereign somewhere that had "homemade" added bunks above the center twin beds, and there were a total of six kids sleeping in them. Was that one of you out there?

We are developing our A/S into more of a retirement home built for two.
We are thoroughly enjoying all the info that we have gotten from you "professionals" (That includes you, Andy)

Anybody else want to get on the "bunk list"????

Beth Ann
67 Sovereign, Double Bed (as soon as I find a mattress), and rear bath
Old 08-09-2004, 06:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2nd deb, no littles ones

I found two coated cables which fit into our ceiling hooks. There are ball ends on each end. No other possibility of what these might be for. I'd offer you them, but my husband wants to keep all the stuff as it was original. It seems to me like they might get in the way, or something, but we will see once we start usuing it. Good luck, Deb (outerbanks) in your search. Would still like to see a bunk set up, or the bed itself when pictures are available.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Smile

Debbie,

We have the aluminum frame bunk with the ceiling hooks but do not have any chains to hang it from. Any chance you could send us a picture of what the chains look like so we might recognize them if we ever find any. Thanks.

Larry & Marge
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Larry & Marge.

The bunk beds were suspended with steel cables that had a ball on one end, not chains.

Then Airstream change the brackets to a seat belt or strap type.

Photo attached.

We have a few of the cable type and quite a few of the strap type.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-002s.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	8215  
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Hi Deb(s) et al....My '75 Tradewind has a factory-installed bunkbed. The bunk drops down to form a back to the twin bed which turns it into a sofa (does this make sense?). If I could attach a picture, I would, but right now I'm clueless as to how this works. If anyone wants to see a picture, PM me and I will e-mail a photo.

I am going to remove the bunk as I don't need it and it feels a tad bit claustrophic to sleep under it. I may keep the bunk for the next owner - or I could give it away if someone really really wants it.

BTW, I am considering getting a futon in lieu of the foam pad which seems uncomfortable for full-timing and a bit of a hassle to pull out every night.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Annette: really easy to attach a photo. you can even edit a previous post, and add a picture later. all you have to do is scroll down beneath the post composition window, and you'll see a button that says "manage attachments". click that, and another window will open that allows you to browse to the picture's location on your hard drive. then click the "upload" button, followed by the "close window" button, and you're done.

picture should be resized to 640 x 480 max, though.

Andy: do you have any of the other bunk parts in stock? like the wall hinges, and the straps/cables themselves?

others: I believe the bunks had a low weight rating..intended for kids. I could definately make use of one in a couple of years. for now, Jr. sleeps in his playpen, which fits perfectly on one of the 2 twin beds (matress removed). I'm told by more experienced parents that he'll probably still need that next year, too. but after that....a bunk would probably be easier than me dealing w/ the front gaucho.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Annette: really easy to attach a photo. you can even edit a previous post, and add a picture later. all you have to do is scroll down beneath the post composition window, and you'll see a button that says "manage attachments". click that, and another window will open that allows you to browse to the picture's location on your hard drive. then click the "upload" button, followed by the "close window" button, and you're done.

picture should be resized to 640 x 480 max, though.
Okie dokie, Chuck, I'll give it a try. (Uh, it's not showing up in "preview post" so let's see if it's here when I actually post.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bunk.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	8218  
1997 E350
Old 08-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

tada!!!

Well, I'll be, it worked

The next time I visit my Tradewind, I'll take a better picture of the bunkbed.
1997 E350
Old 08-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Chuck.

We also have the wall bracket and the bunk hinge.

Photo's attached.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mvc-003s.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	8314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-004s.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	8315  

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:05 PM   #20

bunk beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Larry & Marge.

The bunk beds were suspended with steel cables that had a ball on one end, not chains.

Then Airstream change the brackets to a seat belt or strap type.

Photo attached.

We have a few of the cable type and quite a few of the strap type.

Andy
Hi, iam looking for the beds that came in the 1967 safari. can ya help me out??
fansler is offline   Reply With Quote