Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson

Sorry about the size of these images - I'm a little green about how to get my gallery and saved Airstream images into threads. Anyway, these are the Hollaender SpeedRail for 1" IPS aluminum T6061 pipe upper bunks we built. They are made to the wall with two Hollaender #41 flanges (no image of these yet) and then #3 corners and #17 support flanges for the hollow-core doors, which were cut down for the berth behind the oven.

Erik Olson
1974 Ambassador 29' Ohana
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member
1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
More Bunk Bed pics

I made two bunk beds about three years ago. They are the primary sleeping arrangements for my kids (10 & 7). In fact, one is being slept in at this very moment!

I made them out of rectangular aluminum tube. I cut and welded the corners because I could not get a good looking bend without a real tubing bender. I drilled and cut the slots for the ball ends. I also made "custom" hinges. They are just two pieces of L shaped aluminum plate bolted together and welded into the bed frame. I made the "webbing" out of some fabric. Originally, I sewed it onto the frame, but it kept getting loose. I went back and installed eyelets into the fabric. Now I run some 550 cord through the eyelets. When it starts to sag, I just pull the cord and tighten it back up. For mattress, I bought 2" memory foam and cut it to fit. I sewed up some mattress covers and put the memory foam inside.

To keep the bunks from falling during travel, I drilled holes through the bed frame and wall hooks and put a pin in the hole. For the cables, I found a "just right" sized bolt and wingnut. I put the head of the bolt in the slot then tighten the wingnut. So far, this system hasn't failed me.

As for hardware, my trailer had one set. Luckily, my old neighbor had a trailer restoration business and he sold me another complete set.

I used 1/8 cable for the suspension lines and got the ball ends from McMaster-Carr. The local boat repairmen swaged the ends on for me.

I don't have the storage brackets to hold the beds when they are not in use. We just keep them up all the time.

My kids love them! It's also nice to be able to go to sleep without having to pull out the gaucho. We can also comfortable sleep six!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2097.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	184268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	184269  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.JPG