Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
bunk bed

Has anyone added a bunk bed?

We'd like to add one on top of our corner full size bed in our 25 CCD.

Any ideas, suggestions and pics are greatly appreciated!
thanks
Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I put one in, but it when in place of the mid-bed. You can see pics here, but I'm not sure if it will help or not.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...r-44644-2.html

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have and so has Pizza Chop. Look up our past threads.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good to hear from you again kimili...been a long time!

If you are talking about the factory rear bunk that was installed on our sized and age units, the factory has said that they beefed up the shell where this was attached. Adding this after the fact and not beefing up the shell ribs will lead to a possible problem. From what I understand, if you want the bunk bed similar to what the factory installed, you will need to open 'er up and add additional supports (which in many cases is cost prohibitive).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post

If you are talking about the factory rear bunk that was installed on our sized and age units, the factory has said that they beefed up the shell where this was attached. Adding this after the fact and not beefing up the shell ribs will lead to a possible problem. From what I understand, if you want the bunk bed similar to what the factory installed, you will need to open 'er up and add additional supports (which in many cases is cost prohibitive).
I'm confused. What does "our sized and age units" refer to. I have a couple of 70s bunks, the canvas and aluminum frame OEM type. I have not heard of having to reinforce the anchor points. There is a bracket on a side wall and a cable to a ceiling mounting point. I would not want to put a full size adult up there though. So far no problems.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Great to talk to you Silvertwinkie!
Thanks for the input! that was exactly what I was hoping for but had not foreseen the reinforcing problem...I guess there goes that idea....

Purman,
thank you! your work is amazing love those steps!!!
would you mind sharing some tips on how to build one on top of a corner full bed?

I'm trying to convince hubby to get rid of the over head cabinet and add a bunk bed for the baby on top of our full size bed. I need it to hold up to 60-80lbs no more because once older I gather she'll prefer to be a little further away from us...on the couch at the other end.

Lumatic:
I can't find your pics...or pizza chop's....
please?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI View Post
Lumatic:
I can't find your pics...or pizza chop's....
please?
I'll try and find my photos, but it may take a while
Old 04-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I'm confused. What does "our sized and age units" refer to. I have a couple of 70s bunks, the canvas and aluminum frame OEM type. I have not heard of having to reinforce the anchor points. There is a bracket on a side wall and a cable to a ceiling mounting point. I would not want to put a full size adult up there though. So far no problems.
Per the factory, not Silvertwinkie (which I read here when a person that asked the same question), if you add the exact same OEM type bunk as found in the 30' bunkhouse and/or the 25' Six Sleeper (CCD, Safari or other format of that 25er), you will need to reinforce the shell as one support is directly tied to the roof rib. I am referring to any late model Airstream that had the OEM bunk as an option. Somewhat knowing KIMILI over all these years, I was guessing that she saw what Airstream did and wanted the same thing installed. Fact is that the OEM style bunk had some engineering tweaks done to make it possible. Trailers that did not come with the bunk did not get the tweaks from what I understand, but by all means please contact the factory as I am not 110% and am only putting out there what others have found that I recalled them posting here.

I cannot comment on what owners do outside of a non-OEM situation. Many owners do many different things. Are there options? You bet! Have some folks found alternate options? Sure. In this regard however, I am talking strictly about the OEM solution the factory came out with for late model Airstream trailers.

KIMILI, also, what you may find is that Airstream may or may not have sealed the inner skin behind the roof locker. I don't know if this is the case on CCD type units, but on the standard Safari where the roof locker covers a portion of the interior skin, Airstream opted not to put a sheet of alum to cover the interior then put the roof locker up, they simply let the roof locker be the buffer between the living space and the interior wall.

Should the CCD be the same as the Safari, taking off the roof locker might not have shiney alum skin exposed, it may just be open insulation.

CCD could however be different. A good way to tell is your stereo if it too is up front in the roof locker, there is a panel inside the roof locker that gets you access to the stereo. When I opened that panel I could see some space behind the roof locker....on my unit (which yours could vary), I could see insulation and no interior skin installed.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One other thing I'd mention is that the vintage units are far more robust than the late model units. For example, take a look at the rivets on the outside of a vintage and compare that to a late model. There are nearly 2x or more rivets on the vintage. Most of the older Airstreams were by today's standards unfortunately considered overbuilt, which is why braces, rivets and the likes were removed. I would put a vintage up against a late model every day of the week and would have far more faith in a vintage dealing with loads and such far better and far more differently than a late model.

One other example is the Airstream video from the 60s where they have the girl in the bikini inside an Airstream they expose the outside of the trailer to below zero temps and boast how the Airstream is well insulated and sealed keeping the girl inside toasty warm. We showed that exact video at the Midwest Rally. Every late model Airstream owner laughed out loud how that simply wasn't the case anymore....again, showing the vast differences between the vintage and late model.

That is not to say the late model trailers are POSs, they aren't but they sure don't have the "Wally" touch and no longer really live up the the marketing, even the marketing Airstream puts out today.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
...they sure don't have the "Wally" touch and no longer really live up the the marketing, even the marketing Airstream puts out today.
so true!! you nailed it Silver, that's why I wanted to check here before we proceed with 'building'...

The factory confirmed your words - ours is not reinforced - the lady did not have any suggestions except to speak with someone from project?? who was busy etc

Anyway I think we need to think 'support' for our bunk bed. Probably building it from the existing corner bed/floor up.

I love Purman's steps so if he does not mind those may go in the design.

Any suggestions and pics are more than welcome.
thanks for all your inputs!!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Breckenridge , Texas
Did you guys ever figure out the corner bunk over the full bed?
edye4jc is offline   Reply With Quote