Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Bulkhead Structural Value

Does anyone know if removing / reducing the bulkheads (i.e. the luan between the galley and the beds) would cause problems with structural integrity? I'm trying to find ways to open up more space in this area but don't want to cause bigger problems. Any input is greatly appreciated
69Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Structural value

My .02 worth:

If the bulkhead is structural, it should intersect the shell on or very near a frame member. Otherwise, it will just be pushing on unsupported interior skin.

Also, how is it attached? On my (earlier) model, the plywood panel was press fit into an aluminum extusion with no connection, so it was free to move. This tells me it was non-structural. Your model may be different.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Stressed-Skin Construction

I do not think the interior bulkheads are part of holding the trailer together and keeping it in one piece...

The floor and Shell act together, and I think the bulkheads are not part of it.

RobH
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Go ahead

Every thing inside an Airstream is non structural and can be moved or removed at will.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Talking

Is it deja vu ?
Didn't I read this same thread just a few weeks ago ?
I think I am reading way too much !
I think others are searching way too little.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

If you look at the Airstream manufacturing process, you will notice that the trailer is initially assembled as a shell with no partitions. If the partition walls were structural this would not be possible (or at least probable). On the otherhand, the floor sheathing (unlike most building practices) is part of the initial assembly and is integral to the trailer's structural integrity.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for all the info. I didn't think that the bulkheads would hold up the structure as much as possibly helping with the shape of the exterior in the case of wind. Like a grain bin that is empty and crushed by a strong wind.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Wind won't bother it as long as it's on the frame. Ours has been sitting on the drive way throght some serious high winds that we were afreaid we needed it tied down or at least hooked to the tow vhecile to keep from it getting spun.

There is nothing inside. The interrior was are even out up to the windows. I have been inisde for a few big gusts and did not notice any movement the the body independent of the floor.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:12 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks 59Toaster! Theory is great, but it's better to hear about it in a real-world situation. I've been folowing the pics and posts with your floor repair. I'm going to be gutting to work on the floor but have not seen any problems with rot or separation. I'm hoping to avoid the pan-off route. My '69 is a 29' with a rear bath. I'm going to try replacing the mid-twins and replace with a single flexsteel folding bed on one side and storage / entertainment on the other. I'm hoping that removing the bulkhead between the galley and where the entertainment center and bed is will make the interior seem more open.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
It's a well thought out design.

Factory ours has no bulkheads down the street side. It's open from one end to the other and that side has windows the full lenght of the coach (see avitar).
Now when the floor rotted out out wardrobe became structural LOL There was nothing from the door to the wheel well connecting body to frame I could run a putty knife under the wall the whole distance. After the wheel well had about 24-30 inches of solid floor again and then rotted out all the way around to the other side to the last rib on the street side. The wardrobe was helping hold up the body in that area.

We were lucky to get it home without it falling appart. LOL
Old 03-20-2004, 11:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
the fiberglass/ plastic ends of the trailer

Does this mean I can take out the form fitted ends of the trailer and still have structural integrity??? They are out now and my husband doesnt want to put them back in. Is that a problem. we are going to be traveling a lot, so I need reassurance. Thanks a lot . Silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Re: the fiberglass/ plastic ends of the trailer

Quote:
Originally posted by silver suz
Does this mean I can take out the form fitted ends of the trailer and still have structural integrity??? They are out now and my husband doesnt want to put them back in. Is that a problem. we are going to be traveling a lot, so I need reassurance. Thanks a lot . Silver suz
Suz:

What were you going to replace them with? I think it might be a problem to just leave them out. Can you encapsulate them with something hypoallergenic?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The basic method of construction of an Airstream is called "monocouque."

Monocouque means a "load bearing shell."

That being the case, the "interior and exterior metal and/or plastics" are important to the integrity of the shell. One depends on the other.

Therefore to leave out sections of the interior that add to the strength of the shell, is not wise.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

monocoque (sp?)

Thanks everyone, that's really important to know. We can seal them with AFM no VOC sealer. Then I'd like to cover the back one in copper. and the front one ,we are going for the CCD look. Both sealed with AFM sealer and stuck on with??? Elmer's glue?
Dont laugh too hard we glued down a well outgassed piece of linoleum for a small bath with elmer's glue. AFM probably has some no voc adherent.
Has any one seen the trailer done in copper foil? It's really pretty, but I havent found a source for the copper sheets yet.

My husband will love hearing this. Taking it out took a lot of effort by all 3 of my guys.

Well andy , looks like we will be in the market for a black water and grey water tank!
Silver suz
Old 03-20-2004, 12:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Some where I have seen somebody that did the inside in copper and it was a intersting look. There is a web site this couple has showing their restoration but for the life of me I can't rmember the name and I don't see where I book marked it.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Re: monocoque (sp?)

Quote:
Originally posted by silver suz
My husband will love hearing this. Taking it out took a lot of effort by all 3 of my guys.

Silver suz
Suz:

Regarding leaving the end caps out, if your husband feels that strongly about leaving them out, that's your decision. He's the engineer. I would draw the line at the end caps, though. If I had to give up ONE part of the structure of my '59, it would be the interior end caps. I'm not really sure how much they add to structural integrity.
I wouldn't let him take out the ribs and interior side walls, though.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:08 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

end caps? and inside walls??

I am talking about the huge fiberglass end cap that surrounds the back window and wraps around the sides It's REALLY big. Also the front cap is the one that has the tambors above the front window with the little airstream closk barometer etc. That's what I am talking about. Can they or can they NOT be removed? Sorry for being fuzzy. the front one is ok but the back is ugly.
I wasnt there when the inside wall were taken out but none looked load bearing. Perhaps the closets between the beds and baths?? silver suz
Old 03-20-2004, 04:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
That being the case, the "interior and exterior metal and/or plastics" are important to the integrity of the shell. One depends on the other.
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a piece of pop riveted plastic as a structrual component. One of the biggest problems with the plastic end caps is cracking and the trailers seem to hold together OK even still.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

front end of trialer

I think I'll leave that typo- very freudian!! In the front my husband plans to put aluminum petal shape pieces for want of a better word! and rivet them down. tad Taylor in healthyhomes.com did that to one of his trailers and it's very structurally elegant. Stuff my husband likes doing- for you Peterbilt afficionados- he designed the Dash of Class- which is actually in the Smithsonian for the design. I'm sure it will take 10 times longer than it should. The back bedroom is going to be clad in aluminum and then copper leafed. So perhaps this will improve the structural integrity. we can always take it up and do a shake test on it. Right now that seems far enough away, that I hope to get more responses to the everpresent "to cap, ...or not to cap...." silver suz and I am getting those flamingos!
Old 03-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Bulkheads?

Suz,

The petal shaped pieces sound like a great idea!
Clarification: when I spoke earlier about not removing any of the ribs or interior side walls, I was referring to the inside aluminum skin, not the plywood partitions. You can take out any of the partitions, move them around, whatever.