Old 03-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Some where I have seen somebody that did the inside in copper and it was a intersting look. There is a web site this couple has showing their restoration but for the life of me I can't rmember the name and I don't see where I book marked it.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 04:55 PM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
Re: monocoque (sp?)

Quote:
Originally posted by silver suz
My husband will love hearing this. Taking it out took a lot of effort by all 3 of my guys.

Silver suz
Suz:

Regarding leaving the end caps out, if your husband feels that strongly about leaving them out, that's your decision. He's the engineer. I would draw the line at the end caps, though. If I had to give up ONE part of the structure of my '59, it would be the interior end caps. I'm not really sure how much they add to structural integrity.
I wouldn't let him take out the ribs and interior side walls, though.

Old 03-20-2004, 05:08 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
end caps? and inside walls??

I am talking about the huge fiberglass end cap that surrounds the back window and wraps around the sides It's REALLY big. Also the front cap is the one that has the tambors above the front window with the little airstream closk barometer etc. That's what I am talking about. Can they or can they NOT be removed? Sorry for being fuzzy. the front one is ok but the back is ugly.
I wasnt there when the inside wall were taken out but none looked load bearing. Perhaps the closets between the beds and baths?? silver suz
Old 03-20-2004, 05:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
That being the case, the "interior and exterior metal and/or plastics" are important to the integrity of the shell. One depends on the other.
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a piece of pop riveted plastic as a structrual component. One of the biggest problems with the plastic end caps is cracking and the trailers seem to hold together OK even still.

John
Old 03-20-2004, 05:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
front end of trialer

I think I'll leave that typo- very freudian!! In the front my husband plans to put aluminum petal shape pieces for want of a better word! and rivet them down. tad Taylor in healthyhomes.com did that to one of his trailers and it's very structurally elegant. Stuff my husband likes doing- for you Peterbilt afficionados- he designed the Dash of Class- which is actually in the Smithsonian for the design. I'm sure it will take 10 times longer than it should. The back bedroom is going to be clad in aluminum and then copper leafed. So perhaps this will improve the structural integrity. we can always take it up and do a shake test on it. Right now that seems far enough away, that I hope to get more responses to the everpresent "to cap, ...or not to cap...." silver suz and I am getting those flamingos!
Old 03-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #20
Site Team

, Minnesota
Bulkheads?

Suz,

The petal shaped pieces sound like a great idea!
Clarification: when I spoke earlier about not removing any of the ribs or interior side walls, I was referring to the inside aluminum skin, not the plywood partitions. You can take out any of the partitions, move them around, whatever.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
That will work, it is what I replaced my plastic cap with. I needed flat areas to mount the visors so didn't do the petal shaped pieces, but it has to be stronger than the cracked plastic that was there.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inner front.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	5316  
Old 03-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #22
Site Team

, Minnesota
Plastic?

John,

I know we're splitting hairs here, but what type of plastic was your end cap? Mine are about 1/8" fiberglas, and no sign of cracking. Was your cracked end cap some other type of plastic?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Plastic type

Probably ABS, definitely not fiberglass. The biggest problem was the inconsistency of thickness when they were molded. Both caps and several of the pieces that formed the bath were like this. Some areas were over 1/8", others closer to 1/32". Years of heat and cold, vibration, etc. took their toll on the thin areas. I tried to repair some pieces of the bath and it broke in other areas when I tried to install it.

John
Old 03-21-2004, 07:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my 82 has had some cracking in the abs front cap and in the areas around the cabinet reading lights. The repair ideas for this was a topic for dicsussion some time ago, but I have not yet gotten mine done to my satisfaction. I did stop the cracking using some plastic repair material though.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #25
Site Team

, Minnesota
Jumping to conclusions

It appears that AS switched from fiberglas to ABS for the endcaps sometime between 1959 and 1974. Does anyone know when the switch was made?

Some engineer at AS approved the change from a stronger material to one that was weaker and more likely to crack; therefore I would conclude that he/she felt there was little if any structural value in the endcap.