Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #1

San Francisco , California
Book recommendations?

Hi Everybody, I am interested in remodeling my whole trailer (stripping it to the bare bones) so that I know everything is in good shape and will last much longer. But I really don't know where to start. I am quite an avid reader and was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a comprehensive book that can help me with my vintage airstream remodel. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
"Restoring a Dream" is about the closest you'll get to what you're looking for.
Restoring a Dream: My Journey Restoring a Vintage Airstream: Tim Shephard: 9781480280571: Amazon.com: Books
Not too many people out there writing books about Airstream restoration.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

San Francisco , California
Thanks I have Restoring a Dream, I was hoping to get something a bit more detailed but I understand it is kind of a lost art
Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewandGo View Post
Thanks I have Restoring a Dream, I was hoping to get something a bit more detailed but I understand it is kind of a lost art
I agree that it is surprising there aren't some good, detailed Airstream restoration books out there. Sounds to me like a real opportunity for someone or some publisher, especially with the tremendous wealth of information on this forum. Everyone who posts here--and especially those who seek help and advice--sings the praises of the extent and quality of information available, and of the willingness of forum members to share their time and resources. I could imagine several books coming from the many subjects and interests covered here.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
Sounds to me like a real opportunity for someone or some publisher, especially with the tremendous wealth of information on this forum.
Not really. Publishing is a business, and you have to look at the anticipated customer base. Airstream restoration is something of a niche market; it's not like you could write a generic travel trailer restoration guide for Airstreams and SOBs, because so few SOBs are worth the effort to restore. It would likely cost more to edit, proofread, and print the book than a publisher could recoup in sales.

More likely, any such guide would have to be self-published. Not a difficult task given the available electronic publishing formats; no need to publish a dead-tree version at all.

Unless you were to cut a deal so that Airstream Life would publish it. Possibly as a series of articles in the magazine first, then as a collected edition once the magazine articles together add up to a whole book's worth of chapters.

Now if only we can find someone with a restoration project that he or she is willing to document from start to finish, who happens to be sufficiently literate to write well, and sufficiently witty to make the tale entertaining as well as informative, and who takes good publishable pictures, and who can write quickly enough to meet a magazine submission deadline issue after issue, we'd be all set.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
There are several restoration threads that read as well as a book. The best example, IMO, is this one by pbearsailor http://www.airforums.com/forums/f99/...oat-48054.html . I had to read it in one marathon sitting.

I do know of books that have been extracted from threads on other forums. hmmm.....