Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet Bomb an Airstream!!

OK!! Today I was extremely upset. I had left my AS at my mother's home as we can not park it in our neighborhood. The only way to get it in our back yard is to have it lifted by a crane. Since we live in the city, the only parking area is a curb that has steps that lead up to our front door and all rear parking has a very curved and small alley access. We have a 31 ft. Sovereign and city rules and regulations will not allow us to park it for more than a day in front of our home.---SOOOO--our only option left was to park it at my mother's home in her back yard. She lives about 30 miles from us. I went to her house today only to find that the outside of our AS has suffered abuse from the weather. Our blue trim was peeled off the trailer--it was old anyway-so I began to pull the rest off when the metal curves that hold in the trim popped off the trailer--then we noticed the tires had all kinds of cracks--probably from dry rot. Then we opened the door and saw boxes of all shapes and sizes stacked on everything!! She had been using it for storage. It is FILLED TO THE CEILING IN BOXES and ants were crawling into the skin on the exterior. I fear that all of the insulation is filled with ant colonies. Is there anyway to get rid of all of the ants?? I am going back to her house next week to start cleaning it all out. We had just put in new linoleum that looked like hardwood floors and had redecorated everything in the interior about a year ago, now I am afraid to see what shape everything is in under the boxes...Has anyone bled the lines of gas and tried to use a bomb to exterminate all of the bugs that you can't get to with regular bug spray or would this just cause it to blow sky high? I fear the ammonia gas in the refridgerator and the AC unit of course has combustibles. So I am looking for an alternative as I do not want to use the bug bombs at all. As you can tell from our photos and from our avatar that the trailer was in good shape. I had used it while I was on traveling assignments with a travel nurse agency. We also have the rear bathroom and rear separation is now very evident. Has anyone welded this area or placed support on the rear? Now that the trailer seems to be in sad shape, we just want to get it safe enough to travel 6 hours to our new home. New tires should prevent the inevitable 'blow out' that we will experience if we use our current tires...Please, please---help!!!!

Old 04-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I will send photos of these problem areas as soon as I get them so that maybe you guys will have more advice on how to fix everything....

Old 04-20-2004, 01:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I split your poll out to it's own thread...since the subjects were different topics.

Shari

BTW...I have found the Raid "Ant Traps" work well...I wouldn't "bomb" it, I wouldn't want the chemical residue on everything.
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:05 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Thanks for moving my poll! First time to do that and thanks for the advice! I wonder if the ant traps will get to the source as you have to kill the queen? I am just so heartbroken over the shape that my AS has gotten. We don't have RV storage for hundreds of miles as the area in which we live, and most people have land with their homes. My home was built in a neighborhood where the homes were built in the late 1800's to early 1900's when the downtown was bustling at the seams and homes were close together. Hence the reason for very limited parking--haha, AS's weren't built then and then again not much else existed back then either!!! I will get those ant traps today and maybe put out Diazenon around the base of the AS for a double Whammy! I will also post photos when I get them (probably Wednesday or Thursday as to some of my repair questions. I am sure that I will find more things wrong once I move all of those darned boxes. Haha--makes me wonder if I made my mom mad at me to do something like that!!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Ant sprays are very effective if you can get into all the different areas - and you can. It will take some work, maybe a bit of disassembly, and some time, but I would try that first. I'd also get a tank sprayer with a long spray nozzle and spray the belly pan at the same time.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 04-20-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Bug bombs...

The bombs that I have used in the past were simply an insecticide areosol that you set off and left the structure closed up for 24 hours. They actually do a pretty good job. I'm not sure I understand your concerns regarding the ammonia/freon issues. They're in sealed systems, with no opportunity for a chemical reaction. I don't see any problems there. And, of course, except perhaps for mosquito coils, there's nothing incindiary about bug bombs, so no risk of fire from them (provided that your propane is shut off, and all of your pilot lights are extinguished).

With your '74, I would think that the only issues you might have might be a chemical reaction between the insecticide and the plastics; however, I wouldn't worry about it too much, because you'll want to wipe everything down and wash the interior after setting off the bug bombs anyway (after it's safe to go back in, of course).

Bomb away!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I wonder if the ant traps will get to the source as you have to kill the queen?
The way they work is that they have granules of "food" in them and the ants take it back to the queen. It kills them after they eat it...not by contact. We had a horrible infestation at my office last summer, we put out two packages of traps (Raid - one black & one white) and within 36 hours they were gone & never came back. It was probably overkill, one package would have been fine per instructions, but I couldn't decide which to get...so I got both, it worked, that's all I cared about!

Shari

Old 04-20-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Poison and bomb! Ants are tough to get rid of. Oh - yeah - and try to be nice to your mom.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:41 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Wink Finely Ground Black Pepper Kills Ants

My Mother was a big proponent of not using any toxic chemicals. She used to sprinkle finely ground black pepper all over the areas where the ants crawled. This got rid of them and fast!!! Rose
Old 04-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Also ...

... ants need a food source. Get rid of that, perhaps in this case move the trailer, and they relocate. My guess is that there's something inside that they're feeding on. Insulation covered with aluminum seems like a hot place to found a colony if I were an ant.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:34 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Pepper or not

I had ants in my trailer and used a bug bomb which worked great. I considered using the pepper but figured that all those ants sneezing would keep me up at night.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Talking Ants sneezing...LOL!

Quote:
Insulation covered with aluminum seems like a hot place to found a colony if I were an ant.
Not in the winter...nice & warm!

I don't think a bomb would do anything about the ants inside the walls...it won't go through the aluminum, there aren't enough gaps. Get them to take the poisoned food to their nest...

Did I mention...I HATE ants?

Shari

Old 04-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
I left an open coke inside.........ANT CITY! moved the coke outside and set it on the ground.......the trail of ants goes to my house!!!!!!!! I had to have some siding replaced on my chimney and when the repair guys took the old siding off we found the entire chimney was slam packed full of a huge ant colony.......it was amazing, never seen so many ants in my life.......the exterminator said it was an "impressive amount" and he has been in the biz for 25 years.
I removed the Credenza in my 1980 Excella the other day and found ants ......removed the wall panel behind the credenza........and yep, you guessed it, ants. I had sprayed around my tires and stabilizers but the grass under it has grown and they just crawl up the grass. Obviously smarter than me. The took over one of my cars once too, a 67 BUG lol
-Jason
Old 04-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Have you ever tried "Miraculous Ant Chalk"? We get these big pieces of chalk from the 99c store down the street for $1 each. My neighbor, who has all kinds of funky herbal solutions to everything, which rarely work, kept nagging me to try it, but I didn't believe it would work. We had this HUGE FAT trail of ants marching up the side of our house, and she finally threw up her hands and went and got some ant chalk, drew fat lines all over the side of the house along the trail, and scraped some into the dirt beside our house where they were building a nest. The next day, they were just...gone.

I looked it up on the internet, to see if it was really safe for kids and pets like the label says, and of course it's not safe. I've heard ants won't cross *any* chalk line, but after a few uses of this stuff in my house, some did show up dead, so I think it's chalk with some kind of pesticide in it. Still, it's got to be better than the spray type that gets in your lungs and covers food...I don't know where you'd get it where you live, but I swear it works. Draw a chalk line where ants are, and they leave.