Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
CHAPPAQUA , New York
Question Blackout curtains wanted (can they be made??)

I am looking for someone to make blackout curtains for my 28' cloud. Im tired of waking up to all the light that comes in. I currently have the aluminum mini blinds

I like the blinds and want to keep them but add curtains somehow
pgreenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums.

Daylight helps you wake up!
Other option is to go to bed earlier?

If you do a search located on the top blue bar, you will find others who have found solutions to similar wants.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreenx View Post
I am looking for someone to make blackout curtains for my 28' cloud. Im tired of waking up to all the light that comes in. I currently have the aluminum mini blinds

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

May I suggest using "Ironing Board" fabric as a curtain liner. It's what Airstream used in their trailers during the mid 60's. I've had two sets of curtians made with this and it works great.

Enjoy,
Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #4

1961 16' Bambi
wilmington , Delaware
We (alclad) and I are really happy with the curtains that were made for us by a fourm member silverthreads. We provided the fabric so we were super happy with our choice and she made them using blackout linings. We totally love them and she did a great job. The blackout linings allow us to sleep in even at the beach. They really do the job.

Good luck!

Here's a link to her business : hope this is permitted...I never post just lurk but I really like what she did for us.

http://www.freewebs.com/silver-threads/
1961bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
pgreenx...welcome to the forums!

I've sent you a Personal Message... It can be done.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In our bedroom we added Reflectix to the windows. It provides a little insulation (cold, heat, sound) and much more darkness. It has a surface of aluminum foil on each side and something like bubble wrap in the middle. I attached it with Velcro. It works on the fans and skylight too to keep out unwanted light and reduce the effect of heat from the sun from the roof penetrations.

We have curtains and blinds in the bedroom that let in too much light. We rarely look out or open those windows anyway, but if you do, the Reflectix can be removed fairly easily.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
May I suggest using "Ironing Board" fabric as a curtain liner. It's what Airstream used in their trailers during the mid 60's. I've had two sets of curtians made with this and it works great.

Enjoy,
Those ironing board lined curtains were wonderful, no light at all got through them and the aluminum look on the exterior was great. I had not thought about what they were made from, good call.

I have had a lot of success with "self lined" drapes from the box stores such as wally world. The fabric is lined with a rubber like material on the back which keeps the light out, and sun from ruining things. It is also the least expensive way to get material that I have found. I buy the pre made panels and turn them horizontal, then cut them down to the right size, pleating tops and bottoms with pleating tape and using the curtain tabs available from AS or Inland. If you can find a material you like, it works very well. I have not had success finding self lined curtain material at any local stores.

Yep, I do some metal work, electrical, plumbing, gas, countertops and even drapes (mostly 'cause I like to work on sewing machines as another hobby). But, no, only for myself, not in the business...sorry.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Some info

Quote:

Just adding in a bit here: you can get about any kind of curtain lining you want by the yard at local fabric stores. Buy a small piece, match it up with your fabric or blinds, and test it on the window. I am currently doing the same on ours and have done about 6 different trials for the amount of light I want to come in the windows when they are closed. I am not sure this is the same as adding something underneath blinds but I'll add what I can.

I had done the same thing on the previous trailer we had and it was so nice to have it dark inside that I decided to do it again on this one. I got the heavier black out lining for our current project as well and have been drafting up each window section as I go. It is a time consuming effort as each track is a different distance from the wall so I have to have my machine in the trailer for constant fitting adjustments. I have seen posts on the forums for people that make custom curtains and they seem to do nice work. Good luck!
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
It was pretty hot last summer here in Texas, over 100 days of temperatures over 100. Weeks with high temp of 107.
The AC unit just cannot keep up with such heat. The tinted glass windows absorb the heat, and radiate it into the interior.
You can extend your awnings and let the sun cook them, or you can shield the heat from the interior with Reflectix cut to exact size of the window opening and inserted into the window frame from the outside, sandwiched between the screen and the glass.
With the reflectix panels, the heat from the sun is gone. The AC keeps things cool. and light is blocked out. I usually use the panels only on the side facing the sun otherwise it's dark as pitch inside.

The panels are very easy to make and to use. They do not interfere with draperies or venetian blinds.

When not in use, roll the reflectix up and store in a plastic garbage bag, I stow them behind the sofa. The aluminum on the reflectix will rub off black tarnish otherwise.
Pileus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use the Reflectix, however I do have a caveat. Eventually the reflectix will break down. I had a couple of pieces that I had put in the Vista Views and had not removed in a few years, it has broken down due to the heat. Other than that it is great stuff. I used to use it in my popup to close off the bunk end in the winter time.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
If you just want good black fabric that will block light (not heat) you could make them easily out of this: Duvetyne / Commando Cloth & Black Velour - Filmtools
I use it all the time in film to completely block out light. Has one nice fuzzy side too...
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta , Georgia
You can buy them at Walmart and customize them to your project.
Marufaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1961bambi View Post
We (alclad) and I are really happy with the curtains that were made for us by a fourm member silverthreads. We provided the fabric so we were super happy with our choice and she made them using blackout linings. We totally love them and she did a great job. The blackout linings allow us to sleep in even at the beach. They really do the job.

Good luck!

Here's a link to her business : hope this is permitted...I never post just lurk but I really like what she did for us.

Home - Silver Threads Custom RV curtains
I recommend SilverThreads too... she did our curtains and they are fabulous! She's super nice to work with as well and I'm sure she can put any sort of lining on them that you want so you can get the black out effect you're looking for!

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
CHAPPAQUA , New York
Thank you all. I am havign trouble identifying what tracks I need and where to buy them
pgreenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Been there

Quote:
Thank you all. I am havign trouble identifying what tracks I need and where to buy them
I have been going through the same dilemma but had a forum member, Splitrock, post the exact curtain contraption I needed on ours. It is amazing when you ask for help on the forums, someone usually comes through.

The other confusing part is looking at the pictures on the suppliers websites it is hard to tell if that is the right piece or not. Ours was disassembled over a year and a half ago and we took a lot of pictures during the process but not enough in detail of the curtain set up. Hopefully someone else on the forums has your needed pictures and info.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Give J.P.A. Drapes a look at Drapes For Airstream and Argosy Trailers We just ordered a set.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote