Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Los Angeles , California
better banquette sleeping?

I own a 22 foot Safari, 1966. I am dissapointed about how the bed arrangement works to sleep four. I have the sofa in the middle (across from the kitchen) that converts into a full size sleeper (but it is short on the side closest to the fridge, so feet are always hitting the fridge), and we have the front banquette that each side converts into a single bed for the kids. The funny thing, is that the table is always stationary, and in the way when the two singles are made up.

Has anyone found a better way/design that I could retrofit the banquette so that possibly the table removes and sets in between the side benches, to make into a larger bed? Or possibly the table goes away all together and is stored somewhere? Sometimes with our kids (ages 1 and 3), they want to sleep in the big bed with one of us, and we are left to try to fit into the smaller beds. There has to be a better design...short of gutting the whole thing to create better space management.

Any tips?
Old 04-19-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie the elephant
I own a 22 foot Safari, 1966. I am dissapointed about how the bed arrangement works to sleep four. I have the sofa in the middle (across from the kitchen) that converts into a full size sleeper (but it is short on the side closest to the fridge, so feet are always hitting the fridge), and we have the front banquette that each side converts into a single bed for the kids. The funny thing, is that the table is always stationary, and in the way when the two singles are made up.

Has anyone found a better way/design that I could retrofit the banquette so that possibly the table removes and sets in between the side benches, to make into a larger bed? Or possibly the table goes away all together and is stored somewhere? Sometimes with our kids (ages 1 and 3), they want to sleep in the big bed with one of us, and we are left to try to fit into the smaller beds. There has to be a better design...short of gutting the whole thing to create better space management.
Any tips?
Can you give us a picture, so we can better see what you need help with?
Terry
Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Question Wait a minute....something doesn't sound right!

Am I misunderstanding your question or are you saying there is no way to lower, colapse or remove the dinette table even when the beds are "made up" & used for sleeping???

Every Airstream dinette/bed arangement I have ever seen, the table either hinges, folds or lifts up & away or something...maybe yours does too and you just don't know how to do it...well maybe? I can't believe this is the way it's supposed to be! Is this an original dinette table or a aftermarket from a previous owner?

I agree...pictures would sure help!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:32 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Shari and Terry,

The tables in the mid to late 60's safari twins did not fold down. It is a fixed table, the safari with a front double had one that folded/moved. The one in the photo is in a 65 safari. The table extends, period. It is screwed to the wall, with no way to drop down. The screws looked OEM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Dinette-Beds.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	6099  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:07 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Shari and Terry,

The tables in the mid to late 60's safari twins did not fold down. It is a fixed table, the safari with a front double had one that folded/moved. The one in the photo is in a 65 safari. The table extends, period. It is screwed to the wall, with no way to drop down. The screws looked OEM.
In that case, how about a piano hinge for the wall end of the table, and a hinged leg for the outboard end? It would then fold down against the wall, allowing for much more room, and much less midnight noggin-crunching when entering or exiting the beds. If that doesn't work, I have seen SOB tables with a wierd hinge that mounts inboard a few inches, and rotates and moves out to clear obstacles in the way of the table on its way to the vertical.
Terry
Old 04-20-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hmmm...learn something new every day!

When we built our dinette, making it into a bed was a "must" We used these wall brackets & a collapsible leg that we found at Nolan's RV...I would bet they could be easily retrofit to your table.

To see them check out our website, I have part numbers & pics...I think even a link. My guess is you could change it for under $50 over a weekend.

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Nellie the elephant

Here is a picture of our front dinette with the new type of table - out of 69 GT

I don't have plans but I can take several detail pictures for you and send them - maybe you might be able to build it.

We are only 21' so the curb side bed folds out at the end to make the second single.

Sorry won't let me attach photo cause it is already in another thread

Check out thread "Update on "MoonBeam" in the Interior Forum
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote