Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
?? Best place to buy an Airstream couch/sleeper ???

I gang, I am trying to buy a 30 ft 1968 Airstream and it has the older style couch up front. I want something very conforable for either this room or the twin room, which I may see if one nice size sleeper will fit into, if I get this rig.

I dont even know what I can get to fit into an older rig through the front door???? But I see newer airstreams with contoured couches that fit right into the concaved forward area of the rig. Do they make a couch after marker for us older airstream people???? If not, do most just buy a regular sleeper, of is there certain brands that work better or are made for this use???

Thanks for any info.

Dave and Linda
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I put a gaucho from a 1987 Excella in our '63 Overlander. It looked pretty good, worked well, and fit through the door with no trouble. In fact, the person that now owns our Overlander is giving the gaucho away in the forums classifieds, his wife wants a dinette.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWFISH View Post
I dont even know what I can get to fit into an older rig through the front door???? But I see newer airstreams with contoured couches that fit right into the concaved forward area of the rig. Do they make a couch after marker for us older airstream people????
Dave and Linda
If you were wanting to go back with something in a newer style from Airstream you would have to use something that comes in a 23 ft or less. The reason being, 23 and less are NOT wide body. The 68's were NOT wide body.

Dan
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Terry is right, the gaucho he put in the front of the Overlander fit the contour just fine and worked well. If you lived a couple thousand miles closer, I'd be happy to have you come pick it up. Since you don't, you can keep your eyes open on local Craigslist and even nearby ebay auctions to see if anyone might have one available.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Terry is right, the gaucho he put in the front of the Overlander fit the contour just fine and worked well. If you lived a couple thousand miles closer, I'd be happy to have you come pick it up. Since you don't, you can keep your eyes open on local Craigslist and even nearby ebay auctions to see if anyone might have one available.

-Marcus
It would cost roughly $275-325 to get that to Nevada, if my memory of how much it weighs, how big it is, and how far away it is, is correct.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Thanks guys, the wife wants something new, so I was wondering if anyone made anythign new that fit the countour or if I had to just buy a normal one?

Thanks again

Dave
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Magic Beds, Glastop RV Seating

Have a look around there...

(no affiliations at all)
Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

Oakland , California
Couch

I have one for sale I just took out of my '95 Excella 25' today. It's in new condition, no rips, tears or stains anywhere. Has pull out drawers underneath and the contoured arm rests and side panels. I live in SF bay area, CA. Looking to get $300. contact me at detchord@gmail.com if interested
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0328.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	645.2 KB
ID:	78232   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0329.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	761.9 KB
ID:	78233  

Name:	HPIM0331.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	590.8 KB
ID:	78234   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0333.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	736.1 KB
ID:	78235  

detchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Oooo, that's a beauty, and in such good shape for 14 years old, too.

Funny though, each photo shows it as a different colour. Which phot is the closest to the real colour?

(Really interested, but sorry for the two of us, you are waaay to far away from me)
Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Has anyone tried to use a home style or non trailer sofa sleeper for this or will they not fit into the trailer?????

The one above looks nice, but we are shooting for a particular decor with this entire trailer?

Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
It is said (truthfully) that everything Airstream installs has to go through the door. Nothing large was set on the floor before they applied the shell.

Many of us have taken an Airstream apart and put it back together. More digital photos than you thought you needed are a great aid to such a project. Airstream frames have a limit to how much weight they can bear; axles have a GAWR just like a car or a truck. You'd want to add back not much more weight in furnishings than what were removed. Towing with water aboard can help stability, so you don't wan't to up the furnishings weight by justifying, "I can camp with only 200 pounds of stuff." The curb weight (empty weight as it comes from the dealer) reflects something about those furnishings in place and GCWR is the maximum loaded weight in the following chart. See Airstream, Inc :: FAQ for curb weights and GCWR; scroll down a few sections for more discussion on weight ratings.

More to the point -- it is amazing how the gaucho structure is tied into the shell to maintain strength and rigidity at the lowest possible weight. A stand-alone couch would weigh several multiples of what a gaucho originally would. A furniture store sofa sleeper would be impossibly heavy in my opinion.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
It is said (truthfully) that everything Airstream installs has to go through the door. Nothing large was set on the floor before they applied the shell.

Many of us have taken an Airstream apart and put it back together. More digital photos than you thought you needed are a great aid to such a project. Airstream frames have a limit to how much weight they can bear; axles have a GAWR just like a car or a truck. You'd want to add back not much more weight in furnishings than what were removed. Towing with water aboard can help stability, so you don't wan't to up the furnishings weight by justifying, "I can camp with only 200 pounds of stuff." The curb weight (empty weight as it comes from the dealer) reflects something about those furnishings in place and GCWR is the maximum loaded weight in the following chart. See Airstream, Inc :: FAQ for curb weights and GCWR; scroll down a few sections for more discussion on weight ratings.

More to the point -- it is amazing how the gaucho structure is tied into the shell to maintain strength and rigidity at the lowest possible weight. A stand-alone couch would weigh several multiples of what a gaucho originally would. A furniture store sofa sleeper would be impossibly heavy in my opinion.
Thanks, let me ask this, is the gaucho couch a bed also and if so, I guess I can simply restore it and add a better mattress or foam to it to make it a little more comfortable? I dont think I have even seen a pic of one made into a bed yet, or is it even a bed?

Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Open, sezme!

Quote:
Thanks, let me ask this, is the gaucho couch a bed also and if so, I guess I can simply restore it and add a better mattress or foam to it to make it a little more comfortable? I dont think I have even seen a pic of one made into a bed yet, or is it even a bed?

Dave
Yep. Here's one similar to that one for sale: closed

And open:

So, have you finalized the deal yet on the one you've shown in a bunch of threads?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Yep. Here's one similar to that one for sale: closed

And open:

So, have you finalized the deal yet on the one you've shown in a bunch of threads?
Well, I know the guy well but hes out of town on vacation. I made him an offer and he said he would be back soon and we could work something out. So I am thinking that we have a deal and the difference between what he wanted and my offer was not much, so I am sure I an get my hands on it.

I just want to make sure its comfy as far as the sleeper.

WOW, thats a goucho? Looks a lot different than the thing sitting in the trailer I want.

a lot nicer. The one in this trailer is in pieces? literally.

Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
I found another one after we uncovered it. there is a lot of stuff int he room and no where to move it to mess with this bed, so I dont even know how it works.

Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
whoops
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68goucho.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	78304  
Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Posted pictures on another thread

You seem to be asking the same question on another thread. I posted pictures on the thread called Need pics of the Goucho couches-are they also beds?

My photos are from our 1969 Overlander that is closer in age to your trailer. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
You seem to be asking the same question on another thread. I posted pictures on the thread called Need pics of the Goucho couches-are they also beds?

My photos are from our 1969 Overlander that is closer in age to your trailer. paula
Well, I am asking the same thing about the goucho, but I am leaning towards buying something new and needed to know where to get one. and what is available.

Thanks

Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Just pull on the wood above the bin doors.

Quote:
whoops
the bed should slide right out.......if you have trouble, take off the cushion and you will see how it works.......redoing the cushions will be a lot simpler than trying to find a new couch.......I would think......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
whoops

Y'know, if you have looked around this site, read up on a lot of the renos that folks have done, and watch at all what is going on vis ŕ vis price versus condition, I'd like to ask you this:

Are you convinced that one you are looking at is really worth it? I don't mean the price, it's as cheap as cheap can be, but there is sooo much to be done to it. Are you really ready to spend a year or two bringing it up to a reasonable standard? I mean, for example, the windows are gone: have you priced them out? Woooeee!

Maybe it's time to add up all the prices you have seen and heard on here for what needs to be done to that one and then be honest with yourself: am I getting a worthy trailer, or just buying myself a new, expensive and l-e-n-g-t-h-y hobby?

There are a lot of used Airstreams out there. It can take a little time but mostly effort to find the one you really want, but I have personally found that it's really worth it to do just that.

Just a thought. I'm only tossing that idea out, you can toss it right back in if you don't agree...