Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Hi Hayley,

We use a regular deep pocket double mattress cover from Bed Bath and Beyond. I tried a couple before I found one that would stay on. The others, I returned unused. Having tried regular queen and double sheets and found them wanting, I purchasing the expensive AS bottom sheets for the Bambi bed and use regular double sheet on top. That works well. I have a summer and winter option for the bed cover. The summer one is a regular light cotton comforter that goes well with the Ocean Breeze interior. I made a duvet cover (like Greg) out of cotton batik and filled it with a down comforter for cool weather.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Can you post a picture of these stretch garters, please. I am hoping that they are not some type of apparel. If so, please omit the live model and just show the garters.
Greg says that they have bedding "garters" in linen stores as well...they work kinda like suspenders with clips to attach to the sheets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Two people AND two Spanials on that little bed??? Wow. I'm impressed...
Yup...it's definitely tight, but everyone has their "place" and if everyone stays there, all is well...it's when one of the dogs decides to move around that it gets interesting...its funning...one of the dogs, Annie, doesn't care who is touching her while she sleeps, but the other dog, Sadie, complains if anyone dares to touch her while she'd getting her beauty rest...especially if that someone is Annie.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Sleep Phase II - Travasack

Guess we were more spoiled by the always-ready bed in the SOB than we'd thought. Having a really stowable sleep solution has taken some more fiddling.

After trying out our new silk Sleepsack, well it's comfy, but just a little too lightweight. I think we should have tried the Travasack first, but one's on order now. The 1 inch memory foam pad is small enough to store, and just right to take the seams out of the gaucho. Combined with the 'customizable layers' of the Travasack, I'm hoping we're nearly there for total sleeping comfort.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Travasack is a Hit

Yep, that's what we needed. Great "modular" solution, comfy, stores well, and the colors work. Between my wife and I, that's a successful purchase.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Beware of sheets from the airstream store

I ordered the "600" (HA) Thread count Egyptian cotton twin sheet set and I am really appalled by the quality. They feel like rough muslin sheets AND cost a fortune. $200.00 for a ONE set of twin sheets!!! Stay clear of the airstream store for purchase of sheets!!!
H TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHayley View Post
No way, not exactly in "glamping" style!
OK, I'm enjoying this thread, but am puzzled by the term "glamping". What's up? Glamourcamping?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Get the AB Lifestyles ones. The quality is excellent and the prices reasonable.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by H TWO View Post
I ordered the "600" (HA) Thread count Egyptian cotton twin sheet set and I am really appalled by the quality. They feel like rough muslin sheets AND cost a fortune. $200.00 for a ONE set of twin sheets!!! Stay clear of the airstream store for purchase of sheets!!!
We just opened the "home" today and made up the bed. We too have the 600 count sheets from AS. My wife loves them. (If she loves them so do I. It took me 27 years to figure that out!) Anyways, sorry to hear that you are unhappy with them. Also, it's nice that they fit the mattress so nicely.

BTW, who's going to tell us what "glamping" is?
Michigan
Old 05-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post

BTW, who's going to tell us what "glamping" is?
Urban Dictionary: glamping
Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
can't tell you what "glamping" is, but can tell you that the sheets I got were NOT egyptian cotton. Maybe you received something different and I'm happy you're happy. I'll just bump along with my beautiful Wamsutta egyptian cotton 200 thread count sheets that feel luxurious but are too big for my airstream twin beds. Was hoping to get the same quality from Airstream AND have them fit the beds better.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Maybe one of the seamstresses on the forum could develop Airstream bed patterns with layouts and instructions for cutting down and sewing a proper fit for the various sizes. Actually it may not be that difficult and who would now if the job was less than stellar? Right...it's on my to do list too. Until then, we use the suspenders with the elastic to take up the slack under the mattresses, works like a charm and keeps sheets taunt and in place. I had wanted to try the fitted sheets too but I thought they were too high in price for me. There is such a good selection if you don't rule out conventional sets. I have even made a sleeping bag pocket out of larger flat sheets sewn across the bottom and up the sides a bit and turn the extra length down over the top of the bag. I have wondered if one could make their own "Travasak" system with a larger size comforter folded in half and inserts. Making closures are the only difficulty I can anticipate but probably isn't even necessary for the Airstream interior environment.

Here's some glamping examples in Montana at Paws Up. Someone takes you on hikes and makes your campfires and turns down your beds.
Luxury Camping Montana - River Camp at The Resort at Paws Up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	river-camp-tent.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	129944   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc-bed-straight.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	129945  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
can't tell you what "glamping" is, but can tell you that the sheets I got were NOT egyptian cotton. Maybe you received something different and I'm happy you're happy. I'll just bump along with my beautiful Wamsutta egyptian cotton 200 thread count sheets that feel luxurious but are too big for my airstream twin beds. Was hoping to get the same quality from Airstream AND have them fit the beds better.
H TWO,

If you are not happy with them, in your place I would contact the Airstream Store and tell them you want to return them and why.

Why keep something you seem to absolutely not like? Hopefully they want you to be happy (and I imagine that they do).
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I was amused by the first three definitions, but #4 is way out there. BTW, I get it now.

Another couple questions: Exactly what is Eqyptian cotton, anyways? Is it really supposed to be from Egypt?
Michigan
Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
We bought two sets of sheet holders, I think from Wallyworld or kmart. On the normal corners using one, they work fine. Where the mattress has those rounded and cutoff corners I fashion three of them into a T. I am a big guy and the sheets stay on now. We use regular store bought square corner fitted sheets on bottom and flat sheets on top
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Egyptian cotton

Yes, Egyptian cotton is actually grown in Egypt and has a silky, cool and luxurious feel. And, it gets even more so with washing.
Appreciate the sheet suspenders tip and I have already ordered some to take up the slack! Thanks for all the input from all the posters.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kamloops , british columbia
Tonight I made up the bed in preparation for this weekends trip. I'm a fan of my color co-ordinated 400 thread count percale, the bottom (double sized) fitted sheet fits perfectly with the help of the bed garters. Very cost effective.
Snowey BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Spencer , New York
i have a double bed that has corners on both sides one end and i use regular sheets. i just tuck excess under. but i have a truck camper.
jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I solved the bottom sheet problem by sewing 3 twin flat sheets into a mattress "case". Like a pillow case only for the mattress. When it is time to change the sheets we just remove the cover and turn it over. Less sheet washing bonus.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
AB Lifestyles Sheets

We just received fitted sheets and mattress pad custom made for our Safari 25 queen from AB Lifestyles. Our mattress has 45 degree corners at the foot and the head is curved. The sheets and mattress pad fit perfectly and the fabric is very nice. The price was very reasonable and the fabric and the sheets are made in South Carolina by a family owned business. Worth checking out.

I am not associated with AB Lifestyles in any way other than being a satisfied customer. I just wanted to share my experience.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Yes, Egyptian cotton is actually grown in Egypt and has a silky, cool and luxurious feel. And, it gets even more so with washing.
Just fyi, gossypium barbadense, also known as extra long staple (ELS) cotton, can be grown other places than Egypt, but cannot technically be called Egyptian cotton. Other ELS cottons are known as "American Pima, Egyptian Giza, Indian Suvin, Chinese Xinjiang, Sudanese Barakat, and Russian Tonkovoloknistyi."

Pima cotton is an equally good cotton (and of course thread count is important) and is grown in the US.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote