Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #1

1985 25' Sovereign
Burleson , Texas
Red face Bedroom Conversion

We just bought a wonderful 25' Sovereign (1985) with rear twin beds. We want to convert it to 1 full or queen (if possible). Any ideas on how to do this would be SO helpful. We are afraid of tearing something up! We want to do it in such a way that the coach will keep its value. Does anyone know if there is a "kit" or something that can be purchased to make this process easy, safe and reliable??? Thanks!!! Tina
desmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I doubt there is a kit. You have a mid-bath 25'? How totally lucky.

My 31' Sovereign originally had a queen bed crosswise, with the head on the street side. I'm converting it to a queen along the curb wall. The bed frame will be installed later this week. Photos will appear on this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...dux-23481.html

Zep
Old 07-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It is worth noting that the Airstream "Queen" bed is no longer than a full, only wider.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Twin conversion

You might want to look at my photo gallery (only photos are of the twin conversion). We use an inflatable double that sleeps great. If you think this would be something of interest I will be glad to send details.

em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
It is worth noting that the Airstream "Queen" bed is no longer than a full, only wider.

Vaughan
Right, 74 or 75 inches. I hated the crosswise orientation--you can hardly walk around the foot of the bed, with only 14 inches clearance and the curved ceiling. The bed along the wall is not the best, either, because someone has to take the wall side and it's a pain to make the bed. But I think it's a better solution.

Zep
Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Talihina , Oklahoma
Send a message via Skype™ to dwlee6
bed conversion

I have a 1985 34' Excell with queen bed and would like to convert it to twins. Maybe we can work something out. I would be willing to do most of the work of conversion. I'm retired so have some free time. I live in Michigan, but we have a lot in Melissa, TX (north of McKinney) on which we will build someday, hopefully sooner than later. We lived in Plano for 6 years and visit on occasion. The bed platform and mattress are in very good shape. The bed has not been slept on more than 50 nights or so in the 10 years we owned the trailer, and the folks who owned it before us did not use the trailer much either.
dwlee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Furniture not interchangeable...

Welcome and congrats on 25' Sovereign...

Because of the way plumbing and storage were put under twin beds, you can not easily switch to queen layout and use bed frame from queen version. In addition, you'll likely lose center nightstand and some storage to convert..

If you still want to proceed, check search tab for threads like twin bed conversion and see several sets of messages on how people have tried...

I suspect best version is center pedestal that fits between twins, and allows wide mattress (air or foam or custom spring version) to fill rear bedroom area... Fine if you travel in style that lets you change clothes near bath area, and don't mind crawling and reaching to make bed...

Anything else means gently removing existing beds (plywood on tops, then framing, then cabinets...) and after studying limits of plumbing, hot water heater under street side bed, etc, you can design custom new box frame and plywood covering for new bed, and then add either custom foam or spring mattress. If plywood is to be fastened permanently, then access covers to get through for hot water bypass valves or electrical wiring troubleshoot is a good idea... New cabinets probably won't match originals, but you could stain really dark, or replace everything in rear area.. Will need good saw and templates to cut curved rear surfaces to fit wall.. Don't eliminate fabric-covered wall panel along edge of bed. It is for insulation when wall is really cold...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lynwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley
You might want to look at my photo gallery (only photos are of the twin conversion). We use an inflatable double that sleeps great. If you think this would be something of interest I will be glad to send details.

em.
I am interested in doing the "twin -> queen" conversion to my 1999 25' Safari. Please post info/photos so that I can get on with project in early March.
drbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Since this thread is about 6+ months old, If you don't get the info you want, send empresley a PM. They may not read this thread.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Twin to Double

You should find four photos in the member's photo section.

This should give you an idea of how I constructed the platform in three pieces.

Try this link: http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...0&userid=14471

em

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote