Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Bed Topper

My wife has a bad back and at home we sleep on a Select Comfort mattress which has given her additional comfort. Our queen bed on the Classic, while being relatively good, is too hard for her. We tried a memory foam topper which has helped but is not to the point that she finds acceptable.

My solution originally was to either go with a Select Comfort RV model or possibly a Bear Bed. Both are air beds with individual controls for each side of the bed. The Bear Bed is about half the cost of the Select Comfort but is still not cheap at $700.

Patty happend to be looking at an mail ad and noticed that a retail outlet "Tuesday Morning" was selling an Aerobed mattress topper for about $100. We have a regular Aerobed at home that we have used when my son spends the night. It's pretty good quality, and while not the equivalent of my Select Comfort, is still better than using a blow up vinal swimming mat.

We tried it out this weekend, figuring that we could return it if necessary, and found that it improved our comfort level 100%. As far as I was concerned I felt that it was very similar to my Select Comfort. In this case we put the Aerobed down over the mattress. Then we blew it up and then placed the memory foam over it.

The mattress has dual controls allowing each person the ability to adjust the comfort level. From a negative side the air hoses that attach to the mattress are not long enough to allow the pump to be stored in one of the side cabinets. It does come with caps for the mattress so we were able to fill it and then pull the pump off and cap the valves. No way to adjust at this point but I'm planning on placing the pump below the bed and drilling some small holes to pass the air lines through. Not bad for $100. The bed weight 22 lbs. Here is a link to the Aerobed site and the mattress we bought. Aerobed. The site is pretty good and there is a short video of the topper being placed out and inflated.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
My wife has a bad back and at home we sleep on a Select Comfort mattress which has given her additional comfort. Our queen bed on the Classic, while being relatively good, is too hard for her. We tried a memory foam topper which has helped but is not to the point that she finds acceptable.

My solution originally was to either go with a Select Comfort RV model or possibly a Bear Bed. Both are air beds with individual controls for each side of the bed. The Bear Bed is about half the cost of the Select Comfort but is still not cheap at $700.
I paid less than $1200 for my Select Comfort short queen that I bought for my 97 Excella. I also bought a small (400 watt) inverter so we could adjust the bed while dry camping.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote