Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Huntington Beach , California
Bed sizes and Bunk Beds

Hi all my name is Kerry and I'm currently deployed overseas for the military. When I return home I want to buy a 55 Overlander probably and restore it. I'm new to this so I'm a novice so I want some info. This may sound dumb but could someone tell me how long the beds are. I'm 6'1" and I sleep "Abe Lincoln" style. I hope I won't have to scrunch up to sleep.

Also I want to change the dual twin beds. On one side I'm considering putting a bunk bed over the other bunk. And across from that maybe a kitchenette table which converts to a bed and adding a bunk over that. But I don't know about the headroom aspect. I don't know the interior height measurements to know if I need to keep the upper bunk folded up to use the kitchenette table or can people comfortably sit below the bunk while someone is sleeping. Maybe these questions are really dumb but I'm really into collapsable spaces or multiple use areas.

Thanks in advance for your help, this site is a huge wealth of knowledge and I will use it when I find a trailer. I hope finding a 55 Overlander won't be too hard.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Hi all my name is Kerry and I'm currently deployed overseas for the military. When I return home I want to buy a 55 Overlander probably and restore it. I'm new to this so I'm a novice so I want some info. This may sound dumb but could someone tell me how long the beds are. I'm 6'1" and I sleep "Abe Lincoln" style. I hope I won't have to scrunch up to sleep.

Also I want to change the dual twin beds. On one side I'm considering putting a bunk bed over the other bunk. And across from that maybe a kitchenette table which converts to a bed and adding a bunk over that. But I don't know about the headroom aspect. I don't know the interior height measurements to know if I need to keep the upper bunk folded up to use the kitchenette table or can people comfortably sit below the bunk while someone is sleeping. Maybe these questions are really dumb but I'm really into collapsable spaces or multiple use areas.

Thanks in advance for your help, this site is a huge wealth of knowledge and I will use it when I find a trailer. I hope finding a 55 Overlander won't be too hard.
Welcome to the forums! Hope that youo're safe, wherever you are deployed.
The beds are 76in long, typically. Long enough for most people, when laying morgue style, but I always bang my arms into the walls at night. I am used to sleeping on a platform bed at home.
Hey, what's "Abe Lincoln" style?
You might want to take a look at a vintage Airstream once you return. Your plan would work better in a newer model, due to the additional width of the later model trailers. My 1963 is narrower than my 1971 was, noticeably so.
Additionally, the beds aare typically over the wheel wells. those were substantial on the older models. A wheel well would take 1/3 of the floor space under the dinette. Of course a 55 Overlander might have a smaller wheel well due to the single axle design.
Look here: http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...55Cruiser.html
Nice interior shots on this site.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Hey, what's "Abe Lincoln" style?
You might want to take a look at a vintage Airstream once you return. Your plan would work better in a newer model, due to the additional width of the later model trailers. My 1963 is narrower than my 1971 was, noticeably so.
Additionally, the beds aare typically over the wheel wells. those were substantial on the older models. A wheel well would take 1/3 of the floor space under the dinette. Of course a 55 Overlander might have a smaller wheel well due to the single axle design.
Look here: http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...55Cruiser.html
Nice interior shots on this site.
I have a 52 Cruiser/Overlander. It is basically the same layout as my 1963, with the exception of the single wheel well, which is about 1/2 the size of the wheel well area in the '63, of course.
"Abe Lincoln" is when you let your feet hang over the end of the bed, and it would not be an option, without some remodeling. There are bulkheads on one end of the bed, and closets on the other end.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Bed Response

I kinda had to chucke a bit Yes Abe Lincoln style is with the feet hanging over the edge but I want to avoid that so 76" is great. I don't have to have a '55 but I really do like the 50s trailers a lot. One of my big concerns is the mobility of a 26 footer if I decide to drive mountain roads, etc I don't know how it would handle the hairpin corners and parking etc. You all would know better than me.

I'm still checking out the sites and the forums A/S owners are extremely gracious and friendly about helping each other out, Ive never seen anything like it It's like a brotherhood.

Kerry
Old 10-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Kerry, first and foremost, Thank You for your service to our country. Please stay safe.

Brotherhood? That's a good description of this forum. It truely is a "community". You will be treated well here, always. And by the way, I am living proof that there is no such thing as "dumb question". Lord knows I've asked about some weird stuff.

Some of the better informed members will chime in here, but I wonder how hard it is to find a mid-50's model trialer. One of the members bought one off Ebay a couple weeks back that looked great. Somewhere in the Pacific northwest, I think. And I think he lived in...Phoenix?? Somebody will remember. The point is that if you want a "vintage" model, stay open to different year models. I personally like the '60's models with "exotic" woods, but they are hard to find in good shape. We actually own a '73 which is in pieces in the back yard in the middle of a full renovation. I got to sandblast the frame today, cool stuff!

If you can say, tell us where you are and what you do. If you come back for R&R thru the Atlanta Airport I'll buy ya a beer! Take care,

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:27 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
I'm serving in Kuwait for the Navy. I'm a coxswain on a 34' Patrol/Gunboat. We patrol the shorline and bays protecting the incoming ships as they unload men and materials enroute to Iraq. And we sometimes see the shot up vehicles as they are loaded for going home. But based upon what we've seen and heard from those actually in the know who have been there (not the US based news stations & papers) we are giving them a lot more hell than we are taking. You would be proud of what these men & women are actually doing that's unreported. But I'm sure several of you are military veterans so you already know. Virtually every man & woman over here is justifiably proud of the services the veterans who have proceeded us have done.

Take care for now I'm sure lots of questions will come up soon.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
One of my big concerns is the mobility of a 26 footer if I decide to drive mountain roads, etc I don't know how it would handle the hairpin corners and parking etc. You all would know better than me.
Kerry
Kerry, I have a 1952 25'-26' trailer, with a single axle. As such, it would be very manueverable, as well as relatively light in weight. The trailer has a curb weight of 3200 pounds, about half what our 1963 Overlander weighs (6200 pounds).
Old 10-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
One of my big concerns is the mobility of a 26 footer if I decide to drive mountain roads, etc I don't know how it would handle the hairpin corners and parking etc.
I have towed a 25ft TradeWind over the Rockies, into very tight hairpins and on gravel half the way, as the pass was undergoing reconstruction.
Not a problem. I actually like the 25-28ft size best. Smaller is cute, but too confined for me. Larger is unnecessary for me at this time.
Most 25ft floor plans sleep 3 comfortably, 4 if it's very friendly couples.
Maneuvering larger trailers is really not a big deal. I maintain that backing them up is even easier, as their movements are more predictable.
Single axle or dual axle is a mater of preference. I personally prefer dual axle for the safety factor in case of a blown tire or a brake defect. Dual axle trailers also tow with less side to side bounce.