Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1977 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Bed Preferences

I'm in the process of upgrading my 31' 76 Sovereign rear bedroom model. I've removed the full-size bed and have been thinking in terms of installing a queen size bed. I've reviewed the posts by panabax & Bob Thompson and they give pretty detailed information on their conversions. Hovever when reading closely I noticed that they've used RV sized beds. I really need a full size queen 60"x80". I did a layout on the floor and things will fit, but they're really tight. This led me to reconsider using rear twins. has anyone installed a full size queen and are you glad you did?? What are the cons of twins other than snuggle related issues?? Where can I purchase new rear (curved end) twin matresses?? I'm anxious to get going but would like a bit of feedback to help me decide queen or twins.
I'm 6'-3" 260 lbs .
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I have just converted my twins to a queen that lays across the back. Things are tight but I think I will love it. I also made it so I have alot of storage room underneath accessible from the hallway. I can try to upload my pictures if you are interested. I also have two new twin mattresses for sale .

Mtngirl
Mtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Mine has a full 60x80 queen. It takes alot of space, but it is nice if you want the comfort it offers.

You could also install twins that convert to a king size bed.

Here is my rear queen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caravanner5-L.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	36224  
Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Caboose:
I will try to upload pictures by Saturday. I am going to be out of town until then. I have more room than shown by Solidermedic's picture since I have a 25' and I see your trailer is even bigger. I have about the same amount of room between my bed and the rear wall as Solidermedic's and then I have a 15" space between the bed and the wall towards the front of the trailer.

I left the structure in place for the right (looking towards the rear) twin since it holds the water heater and electrical. I took the left twin support and turned it around to there was more storage space for my outside storage access. I took the two doors to the former storage spaces under the twins and made them into supports under the middle part of the bed. So I now have a three chamber storage compartment underneath that is accessible from the hallway and can slide all the way to the back storage compartment wall. Hope that helps.

You have first dibs on the twin mattresses. How far is Sierra Vista from Pheonix? I may be going down in the very near future.

Mtngirl
Mtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Elm Springs , Arkansas
Caboose, just a quick note, if you go with twins, I have the front frames with slide up doors if you can use them.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Twins for us...

Making the twin beds is a snap. We hug and cuddle plenty on our outings without the larger sleeping area. Sure would be an aerobic challenge to make a bed that filled the space. I like the access to storage below and the pup likes the nook at the end of the "hall." We set up the "big screen" computer on the fold up table and watch movies some evenings.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
What arrangement you choose, I highly recommend the Sleep Number bed. You can get RV repalcement sizes from them, you might look at the sizes available an make your frame to fit. I have them at home and in the trailer, and would not trade, no matter the amount of money!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We have taken a different approach in our Argosy. It has front twin beds that are also used as seating space. We have discovered that (provided the bed frames are sturdy) you can use clear fir 1" x 6" placed across the gap between the beds to make a giant king sized bed platform. If you have or make large bolsters (like the back cushion on a gaucho or couch) for each twin, these pieces can be used to fill in the gap. We actually slide the twin mattresses together and use the bolster pieces to fill the edges...
When not in use they can be stored. This give the flexibility to retaining the twins but having the option for one larger bed.

The stack of boards actually doesn't take up much space and can be stowed in a closet.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr
Making the twin beds is a snap. We hug and cuddle plenty on our outings without the larger sleeping area. Sure would be an aerobic challenge to make a bed that filled the space. I like the access to storage below and the pup likes the nook at the end of the "hall."

Twins for us also.
We bought our 25 foot 2006 Safari with a queen. It was uncomfortable to make, crawl over the other person, get to the upper storage, utelize the reading lights, utelize storage etc. etc...It took up to much room too...

We took out the queen and made twins the same size as the factory ones. Improved the sound and heat insulation on the water heater, added insulated around the sides and ends of the beds, extended the heat duct to the rear of the trailer, made new storage areas under the beds with easy access, had mattress foam cut for the curves at the heads and the foot on the left side bed, on and on...

In a nut shell; we have much more living space now, and the view from the trailer front looks like we added 5 feet to the rear of the unit!

If you have a snuggle problem build a plywood sheet under your bed with two legs to slide out over to the other bed and slip the mattresses together.

IMHO these units are to small to sacrafice the limited space for a queen bed.

John & Joan
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Speaking of a tight fit....

I have a 31' Excella rear bed. I replaced the original twin beds with a California King size bed. Now that was a tight fit! It fits crosswise and the room is wall to wall mattress. The matress sits on a Eropean wooden slat/metall frame purchased at IKEA and is hinged at the back of the bedroom. Lots of storage underneath but I try to keep the load weight down at that end due to the weight of the the new bed.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Beds

We have twins and like the extra room and storage accessibility!
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Kewl

Are those Halliburton suitcases??

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Mine has a full 60x80 queen. It takes alot of space, but it is nice if you want the comfort it offers.

You could also install twins that convert to a king size bed.

Here is my rear queen.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
our situation

Our unit has twin mid-bunks, and the PO had built a frame under them for a pull-together king..

we have not pulled it together YET;-)

If the king was in place, we'd have to crawl over to get to the bathroom or the kitchen.. so we like our bunks.. and we each use a small dog as a foot warmer :-)
Old 04-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
Are those Halliburton suitcases??

:-)
Yes they are...have no idea what to do with them...will not be using them at all.

Steve
Old 04-27-2007, 05:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
dunno

We have some, too.. and we never use them. But they're too cool to part with! Ours are VERY vintage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Yes they are...have no idea what to do with them...will not be using them at all.

Steve
Old 04-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1977 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Decision!!!!!

I woke-up this morning after pondering my bed size quandry last night. As I stretched diagonally across my queen size bed, I realized how often I do this. This caused me to realize that I need a queen size bed in my Airstream also. Thanks for all of the replies. I have given them all consideration. I was unaware of the Sleep Number matress as posted in the replies. I've had some rave reviews from others who use one and am considering one for this project. Thanks Again!!
P.S. I'll post progress pictires.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #17

Centertown , Missouri
Speaking of sleeping quarters...We are researching the airstream bambi and wondered about how soundproof these are? Can you share the outside noise level. We just stayed at a hotel this weekend and the rooms are paper thin these days. Not at all quiet to sleep in which has us thinking about travel trailers and especially the airstream.
valrce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Mouse fur (fabric wall liner) and extra fabric on the windows goes a long way to help insulate for sound as well as temperatures. But a subwoofer really rocks on the bare skin interiors.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote