Old 01-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Bed placement?

Hello all!

Excited to join the Airstream community. My partner and I have been looking for a 26' or 27' that we can do a few minor renovations on within the next month and caravan in. We can do a marathon restoration and work on it nearly all day, every day. I have found two in particular that I only just came across on classifieds that caught my eye - in number one we'd want to redo flooring, throw out the sofa out and build in a u-shaped seating area with an adjustable dinette, and put in a queen bed. Number two, being a little more pricey, just replace the toilet, replace faucet/sink, a few other easy things.. Both are 2000 safaris.

One issue I have found is that most that I come across, as well as number one, have twin beds in the middle of the cabin, and you walk between them to get to the bathroom. If we were to try to put a queen bed into it, we'd most likely be blocking the way to the bathroom. Anyone got a fix for this other than making the sofa up front into a sofa bed? I really prefer the bathroom to be centred, but haven't actually seen any in our range (up to $30k). We're in Texas for reference, and really only looking for things in Texas. It's just quite offputting to me to have to walk across my bed to get to the shower, say if I just went hiking and I'm very muddy.

If there are any other applicable words of advice for any of these topics, I would appreciate all of the information I can get.

Thank you!

Old 01-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You could put the queen in the front and then put seating at the mid-section. Turning the middle into your living room and have the front as your bedroom. The only real drawback here is that the trailer door then enters the bedroom so you always have to keep your bed made if you entertain.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You could put the queen in the front and then put seating at the mid-section.
Thank you Cameron, I like this idea! Wouldn't be a problem for us. When changing this up, we'd be taking the sofa out and have to build a frame with storage underneath for the bed. Is there any good guide on doing something like this? We have all of the skills and time to renovate this, simply not all of the information in one place.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I don't know of any guides myself, but I always find it useful to look at picture libraries of old and new Airstreams to look at layouts. You could find something you like and adapt it to your own needs. For the new queen bed, I'd put it on a hinged mechanism like the new airstreams so that you can easily lift the mattress and have access to the space underneath for storage.

Have a look at all of the floor plans and photos on the mother ships website:

Airstream USA, Airstream Travel Trailer, Silver Bullet | Airstream

The vintage Airstream photo archive is indispensable:

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives - Vintage Airstream

Also, if you found a trailer with a mid-bath, then you could have a rear bedroom, away from the door and keep the living space at the front of the trailer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote