Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
Bathroom tub and counter top

From years of winterizing the pink anti freeze has stained the tub. I have tried everything to remove the ugly stains. The counter top is also very dull. Any ideas how to bring the tub back to a clean look?
__________________

__________________
baylito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,031
Images: 9
Tub refinishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylito99 View Post
From years of winterizing the pink anti freeze has stained the tub. I have tried everything to remove the ugly stains. The counter top is also very dull. Any ideas how to bring the tub back to a clean look?
In our quest to restore our 1976 Sovereign, I got a tub and tile refinishing kit at Lowes and followed the directions to a t. It is a bit of a process but I think the results were good. The tub is now installed again but we haven't gotten the trailer completely ready to go yet. I will be able to tell you how it stands up once we get it on the road.

It is a very strong chemical smell to it when you apply it so make sure you have a good cross source of air coming in before you start. I had to recoat mine a couple of times to get the finish I was looking for but it looks pretty good for an old camper tub. Sure beats the ugly stains that were there before and you wouldn't know from looking at it that it was that bad before.
Sandy
__________________

__________________
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan

In our quest to restore our 1976 Sovereign, I got a tub and tile refinishing kit at Lowes and followed the directions to a t. It is a bit of a process but I think the results were good. The tub is now installed again but we haven't gotten the trailer completely ready to go yet. I will be able to tell you how it stands up once we get it on the road.

It is a very strong chemical smell to it when you apply it so make sure you have a good cross source of air coming in before you start. I had to recoat mine a couple of times to get the finish I was looking for but it looks pretty good for an old camper tub. Sure beats the ugly stains that were there before and you wouldn't know from looking at it that it was that bad before.
Sandy
Thanks I will give it a try.
__________________
baylito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
sunny 75
 
sunny75's Avatar
 
1975 27' Overlander
selah , Washington
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 33
Images: 1
painting bathroom

Has anyone tried the new Krylon Fusion paint for plastics in the bathroom?
__________________
sunny75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny75 View Post
Has anyone tried the new Krylon Fusion paint for plastics in the bathroom?
I have used Fusion on the headliner ends, the AC shroud inside, and the refrigerator vent, as well as the white tambour doors which get yellow and ugly looking. For all those surfaces it works wonderfully well.

I have not tried it on the shower and bath floor surfaces or the bath sink. I am chicken in that area, and would worry about it wearing easily. If you did try it, I would recommend a very very thorough cleaning to remove any soap scum prior to application.
__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
jerbear315's Avatar
 
1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Images: 22
Here's a new product that is EP Acrylic which is what is recommended for tub/shower/ ABS/Fiberglass by refinishers.
Different articles say the colors available are endless- too good to be true?
I will be researching this more Friday.
http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/us/e...crylic_enamel/

Jerri
__________________
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
1969 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
Here's a new product that is EP Acrylic which is what is recommended for tub/shower/ ABS/Fiberglass by refinishers.
Different articles say the colors available are endless- too good to be true?
I will be researching this more Friday.
KEM Aqua® Colorline® EP Acrylic Enamel- Product Finishes

Jerri
Jerri were you able to find out anything about the Sherwin Williams product?
__________________
Moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
jerbear315's Avatar
 
1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Images: 22
Moon pie, I sent them emails and was ignored. I ended up getting busy with life and forgot to go in. I meant to print out the page. I am guessing that like last time they will only sell it to refinishers. I have a 4 day weekend coming up, hopefully I can do that.
Ive been suffering from CRS disease. I'm sure you've heard of it.

Jerri
__________________
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
jerbear315's Avatar
 
1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Images: 22
I just called someone in Houston. He says the KEM aqua colorline is not water fast? He's going to research it and email me.

Jerri
__________________
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
oilcan's Avatar
 
1972 27' Overlander
Weatherford , 76086
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 51
Blog Entries: 2
I bought a two part epoxy product at Sherman Williams that seems to work great. The name is XIM, I think. Very pleased so far and very high gloss like porcelain. They only had it in white which was what I was looking for.
__________________
oilcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
jerbear315's Avatar
 
1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Images: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
I just called someone in Houston. He says the KEM aqua colorline is not water fast? He's going to research it and email me.

Jerri
The man researched and said they didn't have ANY products for
ABS and fiberglass that was waterproof.
I've heard of the XIM also, but it is not exclusively S&W product.
Why couldn't XIM be tinted?
__________________
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
jerbear315's Avatar
 
1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Images: 22
http://www.ximbonder.com/upload/pdfs...ase%201161.pdf
__________________
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
rogerdodger's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
In our quest to restore our 1976 Sovereign, I got a tub and tile refinishing kit at Lowes and followed the directions to a t. It is a bit of a process but I think the results were good. The tub is now installed again but we haven't gotten the trailer completely ready to go yet. I will be able to tell you how it stands up once we get it on the road.

It is a very strong chemical smell to it when you apply it so make sure you have a good cross source of air coming in before you start. I had to recoat mine a couple of times to get the finish I was looking for but it looks pretty good for an old camper tub. Sure beats the ugly stains that were there before and you wouldn't know from looking at it that it was that bad before.
Sandy
I used this and it works well, but I had brush strokes. Anybody know how to use and no brush strikes? I dont know how to use a sprayer.
__________________
Roger
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 57
I repainted the bathroom counter top and shower on my '76 Trade Wind with Krylon Fusion and am very happy with the results. It is very easy to apply and covered up the yellowed plastic completely with a few coats.

After 9 months the paint appears to be holding up well but it will scratch if you scrape it or drop something sharp on it. I find it to be a good solution as it is very easy to touch up.
__________________

__________________
Jfuller678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.