Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Bathroom Remodel

This is being done to a 05 28' Safari with the original desire to install a nature's head toilet, the removal of panels has exposed the desire to just go ahead and do the whole thing. Given the price of new Airstreams, I expected to reuse instead of chunking. So I'm going to track the remodel here.

Starting with the tear out pictures, removing the wood panneling behind the cabinate (this wood panel jutted all the way to the window in the dinet area) where the mirror and cabinate were really worthless and cheap to my surprise, so it was fun removing that!

I'm currently pondering replacing the sink cabinate for different arrangement, but that is still up in the air.

All exposed areas will be painted with MultiCeramics for a white finish.

The one picture showing the cardboard pattern on the wall will be the new cabinate that will cover the entire 4' width of the wall which will gain a bunch of storage area.

I've got to drop the tanks and determine where to reroute the sink and that part may happen over the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	139110   Click image for larger version

Name:	BathroomCeiling.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	139111  

Name:	BathroomCab.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	139112   Click image for larger version

Name:	BathroomCab1.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	139113  

Name:	BathroomNoCab.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	139114   Click image for larger version

Name:	BathroomPanel.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	139115  

Name:	BathroomNoPanel.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	139116   Click image for larger version

Name:	BathroomNewCab.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	139117  

Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, very interesting; can't wait to see more.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Here is an interesting tid bit... See the wire that runs along the drain pipe over thw wheel wells to the wall post? It would be great if that wasn't there... come to discover that that is the furnace control wire.

If that hasn't sank in yet, I'll fill in the blanks. Since shore power comes in on the street side, the A/C is wired from that side. In Airstream's infinite wisdom, they ran the wire across the floor, through the bathroom, up the wall post and to the A/C control board along side the thermostat wires.
You'd think they would run the wire along with the A/C electrical service wires and skip going to china and back.

I'm going to try to fish a wire through the frig area or as direct as I can to eliminate it.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Keep in mind that in general you do not want to run low-voltage wiring in the same bundle as AC power as the AC power can inject signals onto the low-voltage wiring which may cause glitches or odd operations depending on what is traveling over the low-voltage cable.. This is the reason that in the electrical code books it says to always cross low-voltage cable (if needed) at a perpendicular angle to the high (110V) voltage cables -- you never run them next to each other or bundled together is even worse. Just throwing that out there to make sure you're not going to cause any problems..
Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAir View Post
Here is an interesting tid bit... See the wire that runs along the drain pipe over thw wheel wells to the wall post? It would be great if that wasn't there... In Airstream's infinite wisdom, they ran the wire across the floor, through the bathroom, up the wall post and to the A/C control board along side the thermostat wires...I'm going to try to fish a wire through the frig area or as direct as I can to eliminate it.
Paul:

Airstream might be one up on you here - I couldnot determine if you intended to mount the AC controls on the side of the fridge - be aware that any side wall adjacent to the fridge will indicate about 5 degrees higher than a true inside wall - the side walls of the fridge conduct heat from the rear of the fridge that I have not been able to seal after repeated attempts.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Rick, thanks for that. There shouldn't be any problems as that is probably a 12V relay line, but will try to locate away from AC power lines.

Dennis, I'm not moving the thermostat, just the furnace control lines. They are separate from the RJ11 thermostat line.