Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Bathroom reconstruction

I am very close to putting the bathroom back together. Very close because departure date for vacation is coming upon us. my overlander 73 bathroom is completely empty except for the new hot water heater and the plumbing. I have never put a Airstream bathroom back together so I was wondering for you experienced renovators if you have tackled this problem a few times in the past? where to start? I know I can start anywhere but I was wondering for those who have done this in the past what area do you like to start first? The cabinets over the hot water heater, the vanity, or the tub area. I was hoping to do the tub last because I fried my new converter. I need to replace it and want elbow room to work.

Somehow I deleted a complete picture of my Overlander bathroom. Does anybody have pictures of a 1973 overlander bathroom I could use for refrence. I have many parts marked but not all of them.

SIU Bound

Brian.
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are a few pictures here that might help.
73Overlander

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The factory starts as far back as possible, and builds forward. I would start in the rearmost ceiling area, and gravitate forward and down.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Brian, how much of it have you removed? I've got a few pics of mine and a couple of others. How about providing a pic of how it looks now and maybe I can fill in a few blanks.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Brian, I just remembered I owe you some pictures. I'll try to get them posted tonight.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

I started putting the bathroom back together. I set it up so I can pull my converter through with out taking the tub out. I put the tub back in and it fit perfectly. I built a new tub stand and I copied each piece by making a drawing of the previous piece. I was glad because the tub slants down towards the drain. I did not know that.

I am slowly fitting the bathroom back together being careful not to put all the rivets in. I do not want to make a mistake and re-drill. I will put all the rivets in after each section is back together. I would still like some pictures if you have them because I need all the visual guidance I can get. I have stopped until I can buy a new faucet for the bath tub. They put in a faucet in the past and drilled new holes. I need to see what the orginal faucet looked like so I can get one like it. I am not into the old. I want something new and plastic to keep the weight down.

You might be interested in this when you finish your outside. I bought auto paint (Red, White and blue) from Auto Color in Lawrenceville. (They have one in Conyers) and I asked him about vinyl tape for the rub rail. They did not carry it stock but they recommended that I go to the Sign Guy (Name of business, Lawrenceville) to get tape. I measured the rub rail and the other rails and took my specs to this guy. They cut the vinyl for me on a computer machine and gave me more then I needed for twenty dollars. I will take pictures of the vinyl and installation the 4th of July. It will go over the rivets. He does cars and trucks all the time.

Brian
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Azflycatcher:

I wanted to thank you for the pictures. Your bathroom picture really helped.

Brian
Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
We just put our bathroom back in our 69 31'. According to the photo sight azflycaster posted, that bathroom is way different than ours. I do know we put in the linen closet and cloths closet last next to the toilet. I would have been impossiable to move around in there if the closets were in. Our trailer has two cloths closets one on the tub side and one on the toilet side. Our tub has a seperate front and we failed to put screws into the floor to hold it in place. We did figure out how to support it through the closet. Hope you can get it back to gether.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote