Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Vashon , Washington
Bathroom Plumbing Remodel

We are turning an abused 31' Sovereign into a stationary cabin in the woods. Part of this job is remodelling the bathroom. We knocked out the closet divider wall to make room for a bigger bathtub and have pulled out all the fixtures. One problem we now have is all the black plastic pipe all over. The vent pipe up to the ceiling is a particular obstacle. Unlike the kitchen, the bathroom pipe (formerly in the closet) is now out there in front of God and everybody and right in the way of the new bigger tub.
Is there a way to redo the pipes and hide the vent back behind the wall like in the kitchen? Are there flexible replacement vent tubes these days to make it easier? Has anyone come up with a more simplified drain pipe system for this situation than the original layout? Help me please...I'm SCARED!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream rm1 015.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	83850  

Silverslug75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I eliminated that vent, and now everything vents through the one in the kitchen wall. No problems with that yet. Your idea of taking off all the skin in that area, and re-routing a new, flexible vent in the exterior wall, would work too.

tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Vashon , Washington
If I can eliminate the whole thing, that would make me happy. Did you have to plug the old rear vent opening on top?
Silverslug75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Consider using one of the vent one-way-check-valves (AAV Vent) they use on island sinks. Plumb Pak at Lowe's: Studor Mini Vent Air Admittance Valve is an example of one. Basically allows air in the line but not let the sewer gas out. Wouldn't be a good idea to eliminate all vents for the system this way obviously, but for part of the system such as a sink or tub when the line is still vented in the kitchen etc you should be fine.
Scott & Megan
WBCCI #8671 Oregon Unit

Tappan range oven (for spare parts)
baby moons for stock rims with clips
twist drawer knobs and their face frame screw in hook

Marvel Refrigerator

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The check valve is going to be absolutely necessary if you plan to eliminate the vent (black pipe) that was in the closet opposite the one (that was) in your picture.

Why? That's the one going to the "black tank". Strongly advise just rerouting is and keeping it separate. It's just black PVC, real easy to work with: cut and glue. It has its own chrome cover on the roof of the street side of the trailer.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I did put a cap on the exterior vent stack, and a round aluminum patch on the interior. The black tank still vents odors up and out the other vent, which is only about 6' further up the line from where the other one was. I can't say I really understand why there were 2 vents, for such a small plumbing system, in the 1st place. Anyway- worked for me in the Overlander, might for you too.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
flexible hose

This is what was used on the head in my last boat. It was flexible and odor free, but not cheap:

Raritan Engineering | Sanitation Hose

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote

bathtub plumbing