Old 08-09-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Bathroom door...

After a 40 mile voyage on Sunday, we re-entered the trailer to find that the bathroom door had closed and one of the two slides was out of the track. This makes the door difficult to open and close as you can imagine.

I spent 10 mins looking at it to see if I could find the simple fix. I didn't. I will spend more time on it, but I thought I would ask if anyone knows the fix. I am just attempting to avoid taking apart something I don't need to.

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Mark
From your writing, I figure it is the slide closest to the street-side of the trailer that came out of the track. You can carefully spread open the track, re-insert the slide and then pinch the track closed. Be careful so you don't bend the track in such a manner as to make the slide catch on a rough spot caused by a twisting of the track during the spreading action.
If that doesn't work for you, then removing the door will, but that is a whole new ballgame.
Rick

Old 08-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
bad news?

The ornery slide is actually the curb side slide. The door pulls from curb to street as it closes. So the trailing edge of the door drags on the floor. I had to pull it out of the floor track to have a prayer of getting it back open, which I know isn't the best. I had wondered about spreading the track, but thought maybe there was an easier, less potential damaging solution.

I must have twisted the trailer just right pulling out of the drive to cause this to happen. All other driving was fairly straight. An on-ramp or two and a few turns at slow speeds, but certainly nothing major.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 08-10-2004, 06:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Mark and Kimber
Ok, you have a fixable problem. You will need to remove the door with the aluminum extrusion attached, re-insert the slide and then replace the unit. Fundamentally, you unfasten the aluminum extrusion from the ceiling (the end cap can be undone from inside the closet) and swing the street-side end of the extrusion towards the rear of the coach and the extrusion with attached door (as a unit) will come out. Have a second pair of hands to help because you must be very careful not to scrape the extrusion against the walls. You will be working in a tight space, be very careful as the door, especially if you have an attached mirror, is pretty heavy. Reverse the procedure to re-install. I performed this procedure for my 73' rear bath and it is not too difficult-just a bit awkward to hold the unit with your hands above your head and pivot the unit in tight quarters. You should have no trouble doing this job if you don't rush. Note: the door will try to slide to one side or the other as you swing the extrusion towards the rear so keep the aluminum extrusion level with the floor so you don't lose your balance and grip.
Rick
Old 08-12-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
I am challenged in getting the extrusion disconnected. I believe I can see a rivet holding the endcap.

Issue is: I don't want to remove that rivet, because I have not figured out a way to replace that rivet. I guess a screw is a potential option, but I can't get a rivet tool into the track to replace the rivet that is there. Am I missing something?

Old 08-13-2004, 05:15 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Mark and Kimber

Have you felt the other side of the rivet (located inside the closet or above the top shelf) that you say is holding up the endcap? You may find a nut to unscrew so the endcap can come free; that's how mine was arranged. If that does not work for you, I will let you know how I did my Argosy, but that may not work for you.

Rick
Old 08-13-2004, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
I certainly appreciate the help. You have me closer than I would have made it on my own.

I did find two screws inside the closet. Heads are stripped - of course. After a ton of effort I was able to cleanly remove one. The other is 25% out, and should no longer be holding the end cap. I know that I need to keep working on that screw. The screws also hold on a metal bar running across the door of the closet. The rivet is behind that bar and down in a channel on the closet side of the door. I can't get at it from the front, and I don't know yet if I could replace the rivet from the backside because of bar, but I do know that there is a channels underneath the bar that the rivet is down in. I will have to remove the screw and the bar to know if there is a nut.

Are we having fun yet?