Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Question bathroom compartment - removal?

Well, I'm stuck. Managed to remove closets, cabinets, beds, etc. from our '52 Cruiser. Also the furnace, HW heater, and plumbing. Most of it was straight forward, but now I can't figure how how to remove the bathroom compartment. There are no "visible means of support." There is an aluminum shell that comprises the bathroom, and this is surrounded by birch veneer. I've removed all the screws I can find, but nothing moves. The toilet's out. A galley cabinet is attached to the birch veneer from between the veneer and the aluminum shell, and I can't see how to remove this either. Does anyone know how this might be put together? I could force it off if I knew how it was attached, but I don't want to do anything until I have a clearer picture, so as not to damage stuff.
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 10:36 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1968 24' Tradewind
Spokane Valley , Washington
???

Don't quite understand ... can you provide pictures. Then perhap I - or others here can help out.

-Robert
robertandjenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
I don't have pictures that really show the problem, but I've attached one photo taken inside the bath recently. I'll try to give a clearer explanation. The problem is simply that I can't figure out how to disassemble the bathroom. It's got a stainless steel floor with aluminum walls and ceiling all riveted into a single unit, 32"x32", basically like a prefab. shower stall but with a marine toilet and lav. squeezed into it. I'm assuming this bathroom compartment, or "stall", and be removed in one piece, but I can't see how it is attached. Surrounding this is wooden frame and birch veneer to match the adjacent cabinets. I can't find what is holding this in either; nothing will budge. I'm thinking there must be something obvious - everything else came off so easily. Is this any clearer?
Doug
Old 05-15-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
I guess the picture didn't make it in the post. Try this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as-lav.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2129  
Old 05-15-2003, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How wide is the narrowest part of your door frame? If it is less than 32" I wouldn't think it was built as a prefab then installed.

If you look under the sink can you see any angle brackets holding the walls/countertops to the outside wall?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

a real bugger

well ill tell ya what. i dont know if its the same, but i did a complete removal of interior of a 62 safari....and the bathroom gave me the same trouble. i was removing the floor also, so i cut it out.....and from underneath, it seemed to be glued in or something. i dont really know if its the same deal, but if it is, its a real bugger to get out.
good luck,
michael
mikejbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Michael, I'm glad to read that someone else has had an experience with this, though I 'd rather have someone tell me it's easy, not hard ;-)

The door opening is smaller than the bathroom, so maybe you're right, John, that it's not "pre-fab," but built in place. There are no brackets on the outside wall (or anywhere) that I can see. There is a about 2" dead space between the bathroom "stall" and the wall/ceiling. Looking behind and under, though, I realized I may not have gotten all the pumbing completely free, so maybe the problem lies there. If it doesn't come loose then, I think I'll respectfully leave it where I found it!
Doug
Old 05-16-2003, 07:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
success (sort of)

Whew! I managed to disassemble the veneer around the bath stall after finding two hidden screws holding the door frame to the floor and also removing some finish nails in the veneer/frame. Now I realize the bath stall is too big to move outside through the door :-( but at least I can slide it around inside to work behind it. Thanks all for your suggestions.
Doug