Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bath Molded Plastic Refinish

For my 3rd post (newbie!): I've seen several suggestions for refinishing/painting the molded bathroom units (tub, sink, counter): Tough As Tile (I've used that on regular bathroom fixtures and it works well), FiberGlas gel (don't know anything about that), and marine paint. I also think that automotive vinyl dye might work (we've done that on car seats and dashboards and you can't scratch it off).
Any thoughts on what would be best? Does anyone know what the professional refinishers use?
We'd also like to paint the walls... seems to also be molded plastic (ABS?).
Has anyone had any luck with a bathroom make-over like this? Do any of these last?
Thanks in advance!
ClassicRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I used the Klenk 2 part epoxy plastic and fiberglass paint that you can get at the home centers. Their "kit" comes with a roller to apply it with, but if your bathtub and counter are anything like mine, you cannot roll it on. Too many curves and surfaces that are not flat. I followed their instructions to the letter, and used an HVLP gun to apply it in 3 coats, making sure I had the proper thinning percentages. It was truly a nightmare to apply. I also did it without having removed the fixtures. It sure would have been easier with them out, but if I was going to do that, I would have built a new counter and changed everything out but the tub.

I think my bathroom looks pretty good, but upon close inspection I have some runs and uneven areas. It is certainly an improvement. The prep work took days to complete. Maybe there are some other products out there that flow more evenly with less work. I wouldn't try this again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	9177   Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	9178  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Bath Refinishing

Do you think the epoxy paints would work? We have used them on counter tops successfully.

Don Pace
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings ClassicRides!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRides
For my 3rd post (newbie!): I've seen several suggestions for refinishing/painting the molded bathroom units (tub, sink, counter): Tough As Tile (I've used that on regular bathroom fixtures and it works well), FiberGlas gel (don't know anything about that), and marine paint. I also think that automotive vinyl dye might work (we've done that on car seats and dashboards and you can't scratch it off).
Any thoughts on what would be best? Does anyone know what the professional refinishers use?
We'd also like to paint the walls... seems to also be molded plastic (ABS?).
Has anyone had any luck with a bathroom make-over like this? Do any of these last?
Thanks in advance!
I am not a do-it-yourselfer, but did have my Overlander's bathroom refinished while in-place by a local professional who was recommended by my regular plumbing contractor. The gentlemen who refinished my bath indicated that the product he used was an epoxy from the same line that he utilized for home bathroom projects - - the only difference being that there were at least three different varieties of plastic/fiberglass (gelcoat fiberglass, ABS plastic, molded vinyl and "indeterminate acrylic/plastics") in my Overlander's bath that required the use of three different primer/topcoat products (from the same manufacturer) to achieve the desired results.

The refinishing of the bath in my coach included a change in color from the original Avacado Green in the before photo below:

to the Antique Pewter shown in the after photo, below:

This was the third season since the project was completed, and the finish still appears like new. I am very careful when cleaning and utilize Murphy's Oil soap when cleaning the fixtures.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
St. Matthews , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Snadi Send a message via Yahoo to Snadi
Wow Overlander64, that looks fantastic! Would you mind sharing how much something like this costs?
Member SC Coastal Unit 150 and Friend of Chuck
Snadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Snadi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadi
Wow Overlander64, that looks fantastic! Would you mind sharing how much something like this costs?
I don't have ready access to my records, but the cost was between $475 and $575 if my memory is correct.

Kevin

P.S.: Did a forums search for one of my earlier posts - - the cost that I remembered was for one of the higher estimates - - the firm that actually did the work charged only $395 - - the thread where this subject was discussed can be found at:

Sink and Shower restoration
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
St. Matthews , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Snadi Send a message via Yahoo to Snadi
Thanks for sharing!!!
Member SC Coastal Unit 150 and Friend of Chuck
Snadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:24 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Smile Metal Trim?

Thanks Sneakinup and Overlander64!
Both bathrooms look great! I'd love to use your photos on our TV series, "Classic Rides", which will chronicle our restoration (to air on the DIY Network in fall 2005). You can e-mail me directly.
Sneakin, what is the metal trim? Just flat trim - rivet in place? Glue?
No matter what, I think this process will be difficult and time-consuming - but well woth it for the new look. Yes, we'll remove the fixtures first! Thanks!
ClassicRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRides

Thanks in advance!
My wet bath in the 1971 was re-done last year, and has held up exemplary!
It has held up to fallen opjects, sandy feet at beaches, shoe traffic, and many cleanings with mild soap. ( dish soap works fine, no abrasives recommendet or needed)
The tub/pan doubles as the bathroom floor in this set-up, and shows absolutely no signs of wear.
I used a mobile refinishing service, but I did have all the bath parts removed from the trailer for a rear floor replacement.
The material they used was a 4 component epoxy paint, of a brand that I had never heard of and have since forgotten.
I believe that 3 of the components were paint, reducer, and hardener, and teh 4th one was a coloring agent. The price seemed reasonable at the time, less than $ 300.00. I chose to use the service instead of a diy system, due to the toxic nature of the chemicals, and the lack of experience in prepping plastic for paint. I am very pleased with the outcome.