Old 04-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Attempting to access front eyebrow panel

Our 1987 Airstream has an eyebrow panel (official title: Airstream Monitor Panel) above the sofa in the very front of the trailer. Located on this panel are various switches - one of them is broken (water pump on/off). Two questions:

* how do you gain access to the rear of this panel ---- (does not appear to just pop-off --- affraid of snaping the plastic if I pry much harder.)?
and

* where can I order and purchase a new switch? Appears to be a three-way rocker switch as the pump can be turned on/off from this location as well as the bathroom.

Thanks for any input.

don

Old 04-13-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Don,

The switch should be able to be removed without taking the panel off. Normally there is a spring lock on the top and bottom edge of the switch. If you can hold the locks down as you pull out on the switch it should come out. You can R&R the wires and snap the new one back in place.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Don,

I only answered one of the questions you posed

Switches should be available at any Airstream Dealer. If you don't have one local I am sure Ace Fogdall will be happy to ship you one. 800-747-0747.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Don, it's useful to be able to remove the panel you describe, to trouble shoot the level indicators, change a bulb, or adjust the calibration of the inside/outside thermometers. The panel is held in place by about 6 large spring clips, attached to the edge of the panel. The panel is levered out. I take a stout knife blade with a rounded end, and lever from the centre of one end. When that pops out (be brave!), the rest will spring out more easily. It seems rather brutal for such complex circuitry, but wait 'til you see how to put it back! Lay it in position and shove it with the heel of your hand by each clip, one at a time. Mine goes back with a loud snap, which seems to cause no harm. I've had this panel out more than ten times over the past 4 years. Bon courage! Nick.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Brett and Nick:

Thanks for input. The switch came out w/o any problem and did not have to pry the entire panel to do it. Thanks, Brett.

Nick ---- thanks for info ----- I guessed you could pry the entire panel off, but wanted to make sure. Hate to pry and break something only to find out later that there are hidden screws (no, I've never done that)....

New switch is on order....

Thanks, guys.